Author Topic: Recipe Review - White Choc Cheesecake pge 132 For Food's Sake  (Read 24146 times)

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
Re: Recipe Review - White Choc Cheesecake pge 132 For Food's Sake
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 04:17:15 pm »
I am tad cranky about this recipe.
I went out of my way to source a 16cm springform pan bought all the ingredients and have followed the instructions.
Well there is so much biscuit base and filling there is no way this recipe is for a 16cm pan.  It makes two 16cm pans atleast.
I wish i had just made the recipe up and used a normal springform base and baked it.
The one steaming is overflowing over the edges of the tin, and the one in the oven is fine.

Im sure the texture of the steamed cake will be lovely, im just cranky at the expense of buying a cake tin especially for this recipe (for my husbands birthday cake) then the recipe not stating use two tins, halve the ingredients etc?

Has anyone else used the 16cm tin, what were your results?  Am I missing something obvious in the instructions, the only thing I can think of, is that my cake tin is too short and perhaps its meant to be a tall sided springform 16cm tin?

Sorry you had issues. I like a deep cheesecake, thus the large amount. It really shouldn't overflow. I did not have that experience so not sure what went wrong there. I guess; more important is the question, did it taste good in the end?

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
I have made this twice now. I use a springform pan that fits snug into varoma. I cover it with cling wrap as the first time all the steam dripped into the cheesecake. I also much prefer a berry coulis on the top rather than the chocolate.  The white choc and the berry coulis work wonderfully well together.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2012, 02:31:56 am »
After reading all the positive comments on Tenina's Facebook page about this recipe I gave it a go for a Grand Final Party dessert.

I highly recommend it, the texture and flavour are fantastic and it was loved by everyone.

However there are quite a few notes I would add from my experience -

Firstly I would definitely not bother with a 16cm springform pan for this recipe.  I wasted a morning visiting every shop that sold kitchenware at my local shopping centre and no-one stocked them, not even The General Trader.  After reading the comments already here, I ended up just using my 20cm one which rested against the sides of the Varoma, alleviating the need for the chopsticks.

Secondly, after seeing how much mixture this recipe makes, I can't believe that it would fit in a 16cm pan anyway.  I had so much biscuit mixture that it came halfway up the sides of my pan, nothing like the thin layer depicted in the book.  And my filling came right up to the top of the pan too so it definitely would have overflowed if I'd been using the smaller tin.

Also I would highly recommend greasing the sides of the pan (mine stuck) as well as the bottom and covering with plastic wrap, which keeps the top clean.

For the ganache, I didn't bother to sieve the raspberry jam.  The one I had didn't have a lot of seeds anyway and it seemed to make no difference.  I did find the Ganache quite thick, it was much too thick to run down the sides of the cheesecake like the one depicted in the book.

Overall, a lovely recipe though and one that I'll definitely make again.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 02:35:55 am by asha_76 »

Offline JuJu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:10 am »
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I am sooo glad I found this review and read it! I had planned to make this for a family lunch tomorrow and had all the ingredients ready except the 16cm tin. I went to Garden City this morning to get one but no one had it so I was hoping I could come home and find a solution on here....and here it is!! Just popped my 20cm springform into the Varoma and yes it fits and balances so I shall still be able to make the cheesecake and I've saved myself about $30 I reckon!! Thank you everyone for posting your results. Now I just need to decide whether to do a raspberry coulis, or do the ganache...... :-))

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2013, 08:45:28 am »
I'm glad you saved money JuJu. I'm surprised Garden City didn't have one as they have quite a few shops that would sell them.
Let us know how the sweets turn out.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JuJu

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 12:10:47 pm »
Well it turned out beautifully! I also covered the tin with glad wrap as suggested. I had heard awesome things about the texture of this cheesecake from the steaming rather than baking and boy did it live up to the expectations! I ended making the ganache but I also made a raspberry coulis to serve with it. Everyone thought it complemented the sweetness of the cheesecake really well. I will definitely be making this again and I'm also going to try my mum's old baked cheesecake recipe in the varoma as well. Thanks Tenina for figuring out how to steam a cheesecake and thanks everyone else who gave tips! Loved it!  :-*

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:03 pm »
Lol oh dear jd 😁

Oops was an older post lol
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2013, 07:51:12 am »
I am thinking of making this recipe in advance and freezing it.  What do people think about freezing it??  Will it still be OK after thawing?  I wouldn't put the ganache or coulis on until serving, but would like to make the cake early.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2013, 11:57:50 am »
I read somewhere where you can freeze cooked cheesecakes if you've used full fat cream cheese and not the light version Karen.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »
Thanks Judy - I'll give it a go today and see how it goes and report back.  I'm going to add raspberries into my mixture, since we have lots fresh at the moment
Karen in Adelaide

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2013, 09:58:56 am »
Made this today, and added in quite a few raspberries at the end and just stirred them through with the spatula before cooking it.

Thanks to everyone else's reviews, I used a standard 20cm springform pan, and still found the biscuit base mixture too much.  I scooped some of it out and made 2 mini-cheesecakes in ramekins.  The filling mixture was enough for the large cake in the 20cm tin, and the 2 little ramekins.

We have a steam oven, so I used that instead of the Varoma, and found it needed an extra 20 mins of cooking time.

DH and I ate the little mini-cheesecake tonight.  It was deeeee-licious!    The big one I will freeze and use at a party later on.  Will report back on how it freezes and thaws.  I plan to serve it with the berry lime coulis (FFS) rather than the choc ganache.
Karen in Adelaide