Author Topic: Clearing the decks...  (Read 4715 times)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
Clearing the decks...
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:59:03 am »
Well my TMX arrives on Saturday, so in the meantime I have;
- emptied the freezer of any 'dodgy' items thereby freeing up my containers for yummy TMX meals
- ditto with the pantry, making space for whole ingredients
- put in an order with my tupperware consultant for more containers for the pantry/freezer
- made a space on my counter for 'The Wiz' (as it shall be known)
- started making ice cubes for sorbet
- bought ingredients for stock, hommus and butter chicken for my first attempts
- cautiously bought small-ish amount of bread flour as have NEVER made bread before
- bought herbs & some salad vegies to plant in the garden
- bookmarked a whole heap of websites/recipes which I've found on this forum, which is excellent by the way!
Let me see, have I forgotten anything?

About me - I'm a single time poor mum with 2 DD's who is hoping the TMX will lift me out of my cooking lethargy and inspire me to cook healthier and more often. What is really great is that 2 of my friends also ordered a TMX from the same demo (although mine is arriving first tee hee) so hopefully we can egg each other on to try lots of new things.
See you around!

Melbourne, inner north

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing the decks...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:05:43 am »
Hi deedub, welcome to the forum.  You sound very organised, hats off to you :D You realise that by getting yours first, the others will be looking to you for advice so you had better get cracking with the cooking on Saturday so that you'll have all the answers for them.  Of course, we love question time on here so feel free to ask anything.  Nice time of the year to take delivery of your TMX, the kids will love all the smoothies and sorbets etc.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:20:05 am »
Welcome deedub. You are very organised. I wish I did the same. Your post has given me the motivation to do the same in the school holidays.

Have fun with "the mix".

DG xxx
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:53:03 am »
I don't know about organised - you should see the state of my house  :D. Although I am a Virgo.....
Just found some Maggie Beer burnt fig & caramel icecream in the freezer which clearly has to go! Sacrifices, sacrifices....
Seriously though, it's very unlike me to be this prepared - must be keen! I was very interested to read that a lot of people have had a few problems adjusting to the TMX; must try to lower my expectations until I've got the hang of it. Unfortunately I won't have much time this weekend to play with it!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »
Welcome to the forum deedub.Have fun cooking on Saturday when your new TM arrives :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 06:38:50 am »
Welcome to the Forum Deedub,  Just yell if you have a problem as I will probably hear you.  We are on the side of Mt. Macedon.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:03:34 am »
...and I certainly won't hear you Deedub but a very warm welcome to the forum.  You are so lucky being close to one of the forum wizs in Chookie  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:05:18 am »
Welcome deedub. As Chookie says any problems you have ask on here. There is always someone on line who will be able to help you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:08 am »
Well I'm exhausted after a weekend of cooking! TMX arrived b4 lunch on Saturday, but we had to go out for a pre-arranged lunch straight after the delivery demo and didn't get home until 5.30. Still I managed to make stock concentrate, boiled eggs for the 6yo for supper, fruity dream for the kids' dessert; too sweet - only had raspberries & blueberries in the freezer, probably didn't need to add sugar, but consistency was fabulous; and then hommus for my supper ( we had a big lunch). This from a person who doesn't like cooking that much! Apart from the sweetness of the fruity dream, everything was a great success.
Today - we were out all morning at my work's kids xmas party, then a friend came round after lunch with her kids. So I made the too easy chocolate cake with choc ganache topping - sort of a demo for my friend who's waiting on delivery of her machine and couldn't wait to see one in action. Needless to say the cake is all gone now and I diidn't even get a piece! I cooked a roast on the weber Q for dinner (another first - also a new acquisition) so while that was cooking I made butter chicken for tomorrow night's dinner. I used a recipe from the recipecommunity forum - had a little taste and I think it will be great! I attempted to make gravy from the EDC in the TMX but didn't really like the flavour; my 8yo has asked me to cook the roast in the oven next time so I can make gravy from the pan juices as per usual... she loves my gravy!
Working tomorrow so good to know that dinner just needs to be heated up when we get home, and there'll be plenty for the freezer as well. Will attempt risotto on Tuesday night.
Another happy but tired customer...
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:10 am »
Wow, you are really cooking up a storm, I had my granddaughter over this weekend and I supervised her making a gingerbread house, I was disappointed with the royal icing in the thermomix, the first batch with bought pure icing sugar was ok, but the second lot," made my own icing sugar" didn't turn out the colour was dirty from the raw sugar and it just didn't turn out right, oh well, win some loss some, but I still LOVE my machine.

Offline MrsH

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 11:49:10 am »
Nice cook up Deedub.
Let us know how the Butter Chicken is. :D
Busy, working mum & wife.
Loving life in the Yarra Valley.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 05:11:43 am »
How does the gingerbread house look Aussie Brenda? I'm thinking seriously of doing my very first one this Christmas.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:26 am »
I'm having a little trouble here, just sent a reply that went into cyber space.  Tried to send a photo but it is saying it is too big , How do I fix that?, 
Cookie, the gingerbread house is as gorgeous as an 8 year old could do, heaps and heaps of M & M's, marshmellows, sprinkles and silver balls, and icing galore, I'm sure the grandkids will feel quite ill if they eat it all. but she is so proud of it and that is all that matters.