Author Topic: Thermie goes to school  (Read 5775 times)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
Thermie goes to school
« on: November 01, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »
Last week, I was chatting to the science teacher and she was wondering how to demonstrate live yeast in her class.

"Too easy.  Let's make bread!" I suggested.

"but isn't bread so difficult to make? I've never made bread before", she answered.

"I have this wonderful machine called Thermomix and it would be no problem to cook with you in class", I replied, excitedly.

So with all the joy in the world, I pack Thermie into his traveling bag and off we go to school to bake bread.

Not only did we prove how yeast reacted, I've practically sold a Thermomix to the science teacher.  She is discussing with her husband tonight and just wait for the sale...  Too easy!

Xxx

;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Thermie goes to school
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 06:37:07 pm »
Well done, Lee.  These opportunites seem to always just fall into your lap and you easily pick them up and run with them to the obvious (foregone?) conclusion - a sale!!!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 07:24:58 pm »
You will have all the teachers cooking with Thermomixes at this rate Lee :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:08:02 pm »
Maybe cooking casses will be with Thermie in your school. Hw great would that be,
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:11:29 pm »
You are such a willing participant in any opportunity that comes your way Lee, well done.  One sale leads to another too so good luck with that.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
Well done lee, will this be your first sale?
Denise

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:10 am »
well done lee...and not only the teacher but all of those kids who go home and tell their parents about it...other possible sales im sure  ;)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:08:56 am »
Now all the other teachers will want one too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 08:34:51 am »
Maybe cooking casses will be with Thermie in your school. Hw great would that be,
H :)
I hope not.

Cooking classes at school should be using the basic equipment so students understand what a splitting hollandaise is.  Although I love the TMX it doesn't teach skills like a Food Tech class does.

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »
Oh I agree totally.  The only reason Thermie went to school was:
A) it was a science lesson
B) the focus was on the reaction of yeast for something or other to do with science
C) making bread was a quick and easy example so the teacher could get on with her science teaching
D) a potential sale!

I have taught food tech before and plan to do so again next year but sadly no Thermomix will be purchased.

Xxx

;D

Offline Strawberries

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:44:05 pm »
I took my Thermie to school on thursday to show Kinder and yr1 (who have been learning about where food comes from) to make bread.

i first showed them whole wheat then made flour... they were captivated (as was the other teacher) that that is how flour is made. then we weighed ingredients and mixed it up. i used the thermie to knead it, but then the kids got a go to do some more hand kneading to experience what its really like. we talked about yeast being alive and watched the bread rise, pushing the lid off the thermoserver after recess time.

i then made butter from cream while we were waiting for the bread to prove. some of these kids had no idea where their food comes from! everyone was suitably impressed!

good to share the thermie love!
Amy

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 06:55:40 pm »
Yes, it seems strange to us, but there are masses of kids out there who think milk comes out of cartons bought from the shop and the fact that potatoes are grown in the ground is a totally alien concept to them.  Correct (and informed) food education is very important.  I think Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Foundation is a great idea and is making a lot of kids (and their parents) much more aware of the world around them and how to care for it properly.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.