Author Topic: Have I got a story for you - part two  (Read 12215 times)

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
Have I got a story for you - part two
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:52 pm »
Picture this.  Exhausted after a heavy Saturday of Thermomixing in German.  I sit down, turn on the television and watch Strictly Come Dancing, or Dancing with the Stars for my Australian readers.  I have Teeny and Josie in the sofa and we are getting right into it, as you do.  All of a sudden I see blue and red flashing lights through my window.  I peek outside and one, then two, then three, then four fire engines arrive out the front of my house and down the street.  And then 3 ambulances and two police cars.  All sirens and bells and lights.

I blinked twice, as I had just finished off the bottle of white that Ed had started the night before he left for Washington. Of a sudden, the ladder was extending to the roof of my house and men climbed up, carrying large hoses.

I throw the dogs into the bathroom and in my Big W pajamas, I dash downstairs to see what all the fuss is about outside. Turns out the our neighbour's bathroom heating is on fire and from what I understood, no one was sure whether it was gas or electric and an explosion was imminent.

I dash back up the stairs and grab the dogs and a coat and a pair of slippers (Thermie had to stay behind, talk about Sophie's Choice) and dash back down the stairs to wait in 2° temperatures and wait.

Two or so hours passed,  the fire was out, I was frozen from the cold and I walked back into my house which survived completely unscathed, unlike my neighbour's bathroom. 

I collapsed onto the sofa, cuddled the dogs, waved at Thermie and had a nice cup of tea to recover from the shock.

All of that PLUS a few hours demonstrating Thermimix to the good people of Germany in German.  Boy was I glad to go back to work today!

Xxx

;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Have I got a story for you - part two
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »
OMG Lee what an end to your day :o :o :o Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 07:37:07 pm »
What a day .... and night! All of those sirens must have given you a terrible scare, but glad everyone come out unscathed - bathrooms can be replaced.

Yes, back to work to recover and rest!  I'm sure Ed will be wondering if he can leave you 'Home Alone' again!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »
You have such an exciting life over there Lee - never a dull moment  :D :D :D  Poor Ed, misses out on all the fun being away on business.  With all that commotion downstairs and then a ladder leading to my roof, I would have been out of there like a shot, no dogs to consider but Thermie on DH's lap and me pushing the wheelchair as fast as I could. Did they get to the bottom of the cause of the fire?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 01:38:01 am »
OMG Lee, life's not like that at our house. Ditto to Ed being worried to leave you home alone!
Denise

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:59:12 am »
Oh Lee, you had a big day.

What will happen next. Glad you are ok though.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 05:19:22 am »
Ed doesn't get back until Friday.  Anyone want to come and baby sit me??

xxx

;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:00:29 am »
Now, wouldn't that be fun  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:34:21 am »
I think there is far too much excitement to come and babysit you Lee. I like a quiet life. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:37:23 am »
......another quiet day in Lee-land then? LOL
I think we'll be reading many more chapters in your story Lee  :-*
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 01:02:24 pm »
........ as your loyal fans wait with bated breath for the next instalment of ............'A day in the life of an Aussie expat.thermoholic xx
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Vivaroo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »
Like your stories Lee  :D

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:46 pm »
Like your stories Lee

Me too.  Particularly the Sophie's Choice analogy.  A classroom full of children sounds like a piece of cake, compared to the excitement you've had on your days off!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 11:40:59 pm »
Poor Lee, fires are always scary.  Glad you're OK.

We had a grass fire at the back of our place last Wednesday and were very close to call the bush fire brigade.  We had slaughtered a steer on the Sunday, asked for a fire permit (spring, here in OZ) to get rid of the guts & bits, lit the fire on Monday.  No issues, every thing burnt well, clear perimeter.  I check on the area on Wednesday morning:  all good.  Head to town at 1pm, comes back at 5 to see a wall of smoke. BAD!

Put on long pants, shirt and cap and go firefighting after instructing my son to ring DH (who was in town at the time).  When hubby came home i had most of the fire contained, but some spots were reigniting.  We spent the next few hours making sure nothing was going to burn again.  Luckily our fire tanker decided to leak in the process - Bugger!  We got there eventually.  And gosh that shower was good that night!

We're still not sure how the fire started (a kangaroo or a wallaby dashing down the hill and carrying some embers with them ???).
We now have a 3 to 4 hectares burnt (no major damage to big gums luckily).  Not a bad thing before summer sets in I guess, BUT quite scary considering how fast it all went  :-\ 
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51:01 pm »
Well done Carine, is that your first fire-fighting experience?  As you said, at least some of the land is cleared now for the coming bush-fire season and you now know you have to get that tanker leak fixed too.