Author Topic: Nut free Macarons - French Style (with photo)  (Read 9064 times)

Offline allthingscraft

• View Profile
Nut free Macarons - French Style (with photo)
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:05:27 pm »
Earlier in the year (before TMX) I discovered the wonders of baking macarons - I tried both French and Italian methods. When we discovered that my DD had tree nut allergies a few months back, I realised that these wonderful morsels of sweetness would no longer be made in our kitchen.

Until yesterday  ;D

I started experimenting yesterday with replacements for the almond meal. I used the recipe on the forum from Trissalicious http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4050.0

For the 125g almond meal I used 100g Quinoa flakes and 25g Coconut. I ground these up first then added them to the icing sugar to further grind them together.

The results are amazing - DH thinks they are great. And best of all, DD can eat them!!

So for any one with nut allergies, definitely give these a go. You could change the ratio of quinoa/coconut. Another nut free recipe I found used coconut and black sesame seeds 50/50 ratio.

PS - I used raw sugar for these macarons, hence the more golden brown colour. Still trying to find a source for 'natural' food colours to colour my baking.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nut free Macarons - French Style (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 11:35:05 pm »
They look amazing allthingscraft - I am so pleased for your DD and I imagine she was wrapped too.  I love the way people work around allergy problems and manage to come up with perfect replacements so that their families don't miss out on some lovely treats.  I have never eaten a macaron, in fact I have never even seen one in a shop.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:12:47 am »
I'm same as you Judy, have never tasted or made any, but by all accounts they are very nice.  Good work on yours allthingscraft, they look just like the ones I've seen on TV.  ;D

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:02:06 am »
Thank you allthingscraft.. these are on my to do list ( as I have an intolerance to most nuts ) ...YAY

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:40:06 am »
These look wonderful!! I get my natural food colourings from here: Hullaballoo Foods  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:09:53 am »
They look wonderful.  How good it will be for people with this allergy to finally make some of these sweet little things.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:03:18 am »
Great adaptation allthingscraft. I have never made or even eaten a macaroon but they have always intrigued me and yours look delicious.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 01:34:40 pm »
I love your substitution - my girls can eat nuts but all the schools around here are nut free which makes it hard sometimes. They look wonderful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 12:34:34 pm »
Congratulations. How clever of you. I adore macarons and attended a class in Sydney run by Trissa.
I love the outside crunch with the softer centre.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 07:40:18 pm »
Well done they look very appetizing :P

I either had tasted them until recently but it seems that they are becoming a new trend in big cities. I have seen in Paris, Copenhagen and London that they have shops only selling Macarons with different tastes.