Author Topic: On my third full day and loving it!  (Read 11294 times)

Offline elelvee

• View Profile
On my third full day and loving it!
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »
Hi there,

I dreamt about a thermomix for about a year before we were able to take the plunge.

It arrived on Thursday - a pleasant surprise - I was expecting it tomorrow or the next day. So far I've used it to blend my buckwheat and quinoa pancake mix (that broke two blenders), make a chia and cashew milk, make the chicken, apricot risotto from edc (without the chicken or apricot  ;))... and now I'm drawing a bit of a blank between that first day and today. :o Today I've made the chicken and cashews dish from quirky cooking (thanks - loved it) and just whizzed up a pineapple and banana smoothie for dh's sweet tooth.

Oh yeah! I've made the edc lemon custard, and some chocolate custard too, both on the chia and cashew milk (which is the chia nut milk from Cyndi O'Meara's site.). YUMMMMM.

So, about me. I'm a mid 30s mum of a very active two year old and wife to a less active dh. I've recently started living gluten and dairy free. I'm really interested in wholefoods cooking, with a bit of a dabble in raw foods and 'just looking' at paleo foods.

Looking forward to lots of recipe and tip sharing.

Helen

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: On my third full day and loving it!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:22 pm »
Hi Helen, welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you are off to a good start and you are bound to find plenty more recipes to suit, especially if you are browsing Quirky Jo's blog.  She is wonder woman with what she comes up with for people avoiding dairy and wanting to eat healthy food.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ellie j

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »
Hi Helen,
My son was gluten and dairy free for a few years and my life would have been so much easier with a tmx back then .. He is able to cope with a little dairy and low gluten now which makes it easier for me but we still keep him on a fairly clean diet .... The tmx is a gem that makes healthy cooking a joy .... Good luck ..Ellie j  (by the way I have 3 active boys and a not very active hubby)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum Helen.It's wonderful to hear that your TM has had a great workout already.:)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »
welcome helen, life with a thermomix is  so much easier with a toddler and food avoidances. enjoy it all! nicky with 2 toddlers. :)
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:01 pm »
with a bit of a dabble in raw foods and 'just looking' at paleo foods.

Hi, welcome to the forum!  Best of luck with your new way of eating with the thermomix, you will find it an amazing tool however you decide to eat.  I dabbled around a bit with my diet before finding what made me feel the best.  I have settled on what what be considered primal rather than paleo (think Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint) and I feel great!  I am 13 kg lighter since August last year, sleep like a log at night now (previously insomniac) and don't lose the plot if I can't get food and get it NOW!!!!
My family is mostly primal but not as much as me and the TMX makes it so easy to prepare meals for everybody.  Enjoy!!!   :)

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »
Hi Helen,

I do believe that when you have to wait for something you appreciate it so much more  :) sounds like you are cooking up a storm.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline elelvee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:22 am »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Tarosuma - Ah yes primal is what I meant.  :-[  I get Mark's daily apple's newsletters! Love that site. Have just been looking, not committing to anything yet. Giving up grains as well as the other things I've given up recently is a bit of a big step. Glad to hear it works so well for you. It makes a lot of sense doesn't it.
Oh and I've been following a few of the Weston A Price guidelines too. Try to make a stock from bones every week. There was no way I could keep that up over the heat of summer though.  :-))
Helen

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 05:41:10 am »
Welcome to the forum Helen. Where are you from?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:59 am »
Tarosuma - Ah yes primal is what I meant.  :-[  I get Mark's daily apple's newsletters! Love that site. Have just been looking, not committing to anything yet. Giving up grains as well as the other things I've given up recently is a bit of a big step. Glad to hear it works so well for you. It makes a lot of sense doesn't it.
Oh and I've been following a few of the Weston A Price guidelines too.

Ah yes, giving up the grains is a huge step! But I will never go back now.  When I occasionally eat them, I find myself regretting it very quickly.  Funny how I didn't really notice how horrible I used to feel until I started feeling great!  I came via Weston Price so I was used to eating whole, real foods with lots of food prep (know the stock thing well too!) so it wasn't too hard to go that step further with primal.  If you do decide to take the plunge, you know where to find me to swap recipes!  I think Cottchick who is here on the forum was following a kind of primal diet too.
The TMX is great for cauliflower rice!   :)  And soup in winter, yum!  And for making creamed coconut - a great ingredient for delicious treats!

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:09 pm »
Is the creamed coconut recipe on here somewhere?

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 02:06:47 am »
The Primal Blueprint is a great book and I have found it really much easier than I thought to adapt to the no grains, I used to bake fresh rolls every morning, I follow the 80/20 principal as I have not been able to part with my homemade museli for breakfast ( though I go to the gym almost everymorning so the carbs/sugar  is not that big a deal ) I have lost about 7 kilos in 2.5 months and never feel like I am watching what I eat,  my bodyfat % has dropped dramatically. I can easily skip a meal and no longer seem to be obsessing about food... I still use my TM many times everyday and now use the varoma more than I ever thought I could.... I can really recommend a cookbook I borrowed from my local library call OMG! I Can Eat That? Indulgent Food Minus The Boombah by Aussie Jane Kennedy  although not advertised as primal is follows most of the guidelines ( though she tends to use some low fat products )  alot of recipes adapt well to TM. This lifestyle of eating is perfect for me after years of low calorie and watching fat content it is liberatering to be able to eat great "real" food and enjoy butter and cream etc etc.  I started reseaching what makes you become a diabetic ( mother Type 2 ) and after learning about how what food effects insulin/blood sugar this was the logical and natural way to eat for me.

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 03:21:05 am »
Great!  it is SO great to have another couple of primal friends on here!   :)  I agree about the being able to skip a meal without losing the plot and definitely being able to stop obsessing about food and calories is great too.  I just eat until I am not hungry anymore and it can't get any more simple than that.  Once the grains and sugar goes and your body works properly, you don't get those fake hunger signals that you get when you eat a lot of processed foods or sugars/grains.  That stuff is seriously addictive!
Re the creamed coconut - I just buy unsweetened coconut chips and whizz them in the TMX until they turn into a semi liquid paste, takes a couple of minutes from memory.  I think there is more specific instructions on the super kitchen machine TMX site, sorry I am a bit computer challenged and don't know how to link it!
Be aware though, the stuff is addictive and although I say I don't watch calorie count, I think this stuff would up the count very quickly if not careful! 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 07:19:04 am »
Tarosuma, is this the coconut recipe you wanted the link to?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:58 am »
Sounds like you're having fun, elelvee!! Glad you liked the chicken & cashews :)  I must admit that whenever my allergies play up and I go off grains (as well as dairy) I feel SO much better! And not as sleepy. But whenever I go off grains I get so hungry!!!! So I just try to limit the grains and do the Weston Price style soaking as much as possible, and I go grain free when I'm sick or feeling lethargic. Should work harder on it all, but it's hard when you're so busy - you need time at home to organize it all, don't you! (Specially the soaking, etc)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.