Author Topic: Hummingbird Cake  (Read 10020 times)

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Hummingbird Cake
« on: January 06, 2011, 03:32:11 am »
I converted this recipe from one posted on the Taste web site.  (http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16342/hummingbird+cake+with+cream+cheese+frosting).

Ingredients
265 grams self-raising flour
200 grams brown sugar
45 grams desiccated coconut (I used shredded)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
440 g can crushed pineapple in natural syrup (I drained mine)
3 small ripe bananas, peeled and broken into chunks
185 ml extra light olive oil (I used rice bran oil)
2 eggs

Method
Preheat oven to 160ºC and grease and line a 22cm round cake tin.
Add the flour, sugar, desiccated coconut, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon in the TM bowl.  Mix for 5 seconds, speed 2 + reverse.  Set aside.
Place the pineapple, banana, extra light olive oil and egg and mix for 5 seconds on speed 5.  Add the dry ingredients back in and mix for 10 seconds, speed 3 + reverse.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.  Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Ice with cream cheese frosting.

Some notes...
1.  Delicious...
2.  The original recipe provided instructions for a cream cheese frosting, however, many of the comments on it suggested it was way too sweet and there was far too much of it.  Suggest you use a recipe from the forum.
3.  I accidentally used 3 large bananas and I think that caused two things:  the banana flavour is very strong (not that I mind that, but it's hard to discern the pineapple & coconut); secondly when I made it this morning, it is really, really moist and in fact possibly just slightly underdone in the centre at the bottom (again, I don't mind that so much  :-)), but good for others to keep in mind).
4.  I drained the pineapple, even though the recipe didn't say to.  I wanted to check the consistency of the batter before I added it in.  I found that my batter was quite runny without it so wasn't game enough to add it.  This could have been due to the extra banana I used.
5.  I haven't iced mine (as per pic) as I intend to freeze much of it, but I imagine it would be fantastic with it.

All in all though, a delicious and moist cake which I will make again someday.

Members' comments

Suzanne - I put it in a slightly larger tin as my 22cm isn't very high and when I poured it in it was at the top already. Absolutely delicious, dh informed me that this is by far the best cake I have made.  I iced it with the cream cheese icing in the new EDC, it is lovely, Mine only took about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:22:12 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hummingbird Cake
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:27 am »
Hummingbird cake has such a lovely mixture of flavours. This is definitely on my to make SOON list.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Hummingbird Cake
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 02:47:17 am »
I have this in the oven for afternoon tea smells delicious but I put it in a slightly larger tin as my 22cm isn't very high and when I poured it in it was at the top already, will return with the verdict later today :D

*suzanne*

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 04:59:51 am »
absolutely delicious dh informed me that this is by far the best cake I have made, I've tried to attach a photo but tap a talk is not cooperating.  I iced it with the cream cheese icing in the new edc it is lovely mine only took about 1 hour and 15 minutes

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hummingbird Cake
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:12:14 pm »
I had a chuckle when I saw this as DD made some Hummingbird muffins today. Great minds etc.  ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*suzanne*

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:46 am »
I'm going to make this for dh's birthday on Tuesday its certainly a very yummy cake :D:D