Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 195268 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2010, 05:24:12 am »
JulieO,  thanks for that comprehensive report.   I use chicken breast fillets, no bone,  and slice them into about 3 flat pieces, (like you did).  I cooked them over a fairly high heat in about 1cm. of rice bran oil and they browned quickly,  then I put them in the oven.   Mostly I wanted to see if any oil dripped out.   Very little did and they were not at all greasy.  In fact they were nice cold the next day.  I will be interested to hear how you go with putting them in the fridge for a while before you cook them.  Did some of the coating come off? 
I haven't had this problem.  Let me know and I will do more testing.   Thanks again for the report as I am sure it will help others.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2010, 06:13:23 am »
Chookie, I put mine in the fridge before cooking. That's because I like to get my prep work done in advance then tidy up - I have mess from one end of the bench to the other when I am crumbing things  :-)) 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2010, 08:26:32 am »
I made these over the weekend with 1kg fillets chopped into relatively small pieces (approx 6 per fillet) which we deep fryed for approximately 4-5mins each and they came out lovely. We had a enough for 4 adults and 4 kids with chips and a couple of salads. Unfortunately while everyone thought it tasted great they didn't think it tasted like KFC :-[ to me it tasted like I may have ended up with too much pepper in the mix.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2010, 08:27:22 am »
Chookie, I was just a bit worried that the coating might come off when frying as some have said it was quite messy.  Will report back next time I make it, but I'm not complaining at all, we really enjoyed this chicken, plus like Judy I like to get everything organised and then clean up ready to do the actual cooking.   :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2010, 08:52:32 am »
JulieO, I didn't think you were complaining,  and I really appreciate the feed back.   I value your opinion very much and if the recipe can be improved in any way ,  for the benefit of all,  let us know how you go,  and please be honest.

Wonder,  thanks for the feed back.   This is interesting about the pepper.   Before I put the final touches to the recipe,  I went and bought 2 pieces of KFC.  I had been working on 20 year old memory!!!!.   The overpowering taste was pepper.   I thought I may have over done the 'secret herbs and spices'.  2 other things 'impressed' me,  1, how greasy it was,  and how expensive.  Change the recipe to suit your taste and enjoy it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 17, 2010, 10:48:16 am »
We haven't had the real stuff for years, was put off about 5 years ago when I was violently ill over night after having some and I couldn't stand the smell or the sight of it for a long time, but I do remember how greasy it was.

I think your version is a very good one even if I can't remember exactly how the original tastes, thankyou for sharing it with us.  ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2010, 02:13:45 am »
 :o Julie, what a horrible experience!

I'm experimenting with the method of this a little today. I used to make Fried Chicken years ago when the kids were all at home. I remember deciding to poach the chicken pieces first, then coat them when they're cold. I made gravy from the poaching liquid.

So, I figured I could steam them in the Varoma.

I've placed the dry ingredients from the marinade in a bowl and mixed this into the chicken pieces. I then placed all the larger pieces on the bottom of the Varoma and wings and small drumsticks on top. I've put it on for 30 minutes. I'm using two packets of Ingham's Chubby Chicken Pieces.

Then I'm going to put the pieces in the fridge to cool. When cold, I thought I'd dip in the buttermilk, then in the lumpy coating and pan fry, then place in the oven to keep warm while all are being fried.
I'll make gravy with the stock from the TMX bowl and serve with mashed potato and peas & carrots and corn on the cob!

I'll let you all know how this goes.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2010, 02:26:17 am »
Meganjane,  we would love to hear how the experiment went.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2010, 06:42:43 am »
If I leave now MJ I should be there in time for dinner. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2010, 09:34:20 am »
I love all of this experimenting. We may end up with KFC that is better than the original.  Chookie has already improved greatly on the oily-factor and we love the flavour.  :)

Julie I know just how you feel.  I still struggle to eat poached eggs after a bout of salmonella in Ethiopia.  They make my tummy turn just looking at them.  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 19, 2010, 02:23:37 pm »
Chookie, I made these on Wednesday night and we all loved them! I also used skinless breast fillets and had to pre-prepare them before I cooked them (there's only so much I can get done with a bub screaming while holding on to my leg!!). I was a bit worried when I took them out of the fridge to cook as they looked a bit soggy, but when I shallow fried them, they crisped up beautifully. I made extra as I thought I'd freeze some for next time, so I'm hoping they thaw well and it doesn't affect the texture or taste at all. I'll let you know how it goes... Thank you, it will become a regular in our house  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #131 on: November 19, 2010, 10:43:25 pm »
Virgo9,  did you freeze them crumbed and uncooked?  If so I think they will be OK.   Glad you liked them ;D

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2010, 01:00:24 pm »
Yes Chookie, crumbed and uncooked!! Will have them next week sometime.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2010, 01:29:33 pm »
have this mixture ready to go in the fridge and am really looking forward to tasting it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2010, 01:45:26 pm »
OK, finally had time to get on here and let you all know how it went.  Not good.

I was organised earlier in the day and steamed my chicken and put it and the stock in the fridge. Then the day went pear shaped and I was rushed trying to get the spice mix made up. In my hurry, I added the flour to ALL the spice mix in the bowl! So, I added 1 1/2 more cups of flour, which turned out to be too much as the coating wasn't salty enough.

The chicken pieces in the packets were really disappointing. All wings, legs and thighs, and skinny ones at that. So, the final result wasn't wonderful.

I went to coat the chicken in buttermilk and it was mouldy! Still well within date too. (I've since found out my fridge is on the blink and turns itself off for hours at a time.) I had a bit of yoghurt that I added some milk to and used that instead.

The coating was good, though did threaten to completely come off a couple of pieces - perhaps because they'd been pre-cooked. The chicken was dry and I think this was because the pieces were so skinny. Didn't take long to cook, though and easier than having to continue cooking in the oven.

Next time, I'll do the pre-cook in the Varoma again, but will spray with oil bake in oven without frying first. I'll also get different chicken pieces, or maybe use boneless thighs or breasts.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand