Author Topic: KFC Coating ...... revisited  (Read 196247 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: KFC Coating ...... revisited
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2010, 06:51:24 am »
Judy, they are very similar.  I've actually bought 2, one is an Easy Cook (link below) which is just like a convention oven, and the other is made by Sheffield (dramatically cheaper)  which is slightly smaller but is a halogen one that has instant heat.

I've got them in a separate room away from the kitchen and have been using them whenever I can instead of having to put on the main oven and heating up the kitchen.  They are really good, I'm very happy with both of them.  :)

http://www.easycook.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=1&zenid=c4edf04a929c040a031e61a3efd9ca3f

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2010, 07:29:17 am »
I cooked our turkey breast and a few other things in the EAsy Cook on Christmas eve. I put it out in the laundry and all the heat went outside. I must remember to try the KFC in it next time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2010, 10:34:00 am »
Thanks Julie, they have always fascinated me but I have never seen one other than in an ad.  Does that large glass bowl fit in the dishwasher?  No, I am not going to buy one as at my age I have enough appliances to cook on or in but just interested.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2010, 12:01:07 pm »
The glass bowl self cleans like the TMX. Put hot water and detergent in and turn on!!

I only use mine in summer. It was great at Christmas as I didn't want to heat up the caravan. It cooked Oysters Kilpatrick beautifully!
Apparently, also great for low fat wedges. Just pre cook potato cut into wedges in microwave and then spray with oil and 'fry' in Turbo Oven. Add seasoning and away you go!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:37 pm »
Yes they can fit in the dishwasher if you want to, but they are so easy to clean that I haven't needed to yet.
I've also done the way that Meagan does 'chips' and I have been doing my roast potatoes in there too. I also par cook them in the microwave for 10 mins then spray with oil etc and roast for approx 20 mins for lovely roast potatoes.

I have only had them for a few weeks but find I'm using them whenever possible.  It makes the best crackling on pork that I've ever eaten and it's keeping my main oven clean.  :)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2010, 12:19:51 am »
I've had one of these for about 5 years and love it. Cook all our roasts in it and as JulieO says " Keeps the main oven clean". I put it outside to cook pork  on Christmas so save the house heating up. Also use it for wedges and quiches but haven't had much success with cakes.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2010, 12:39:44 am »
Certainly sounds good girls and for perfect crackling, that alone is enough to sell one. Won't tell DH that otherwise he might tell me to go out and buy one - why is it that men in particular love their crackling ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:45 am »
Had one, used it in our small caravan.  in the shed now.  Don't think I will use it again.Good to use in hot weather as you can put it on a long lead and put it outside or in the laundry.  In fact have had 2.   First was a German made one that packed up really small,  with the heating unit at the back.   Bit like a fan forced oven.   Being all glass,  you can see things cooking.  pretty much instant heat so more economical than the oven .

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2010, 03:25:55 am »
I've done cakes on holidays in ours. DH bought a ring tin and cut the centre part out at the top. It still is a ring tin but the top of the internal ring is open. That way the air circulates really well and the cakes aren't too bad.
I can't do scones in it though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2011, 05:18:41 am »
After reading all these rave reviews, I just have to try this myself!  I have just finished making the spice mix, and was wondering if I could just mix it into the flour mix (minus the buttermilk) in the right proportions and store it like that - so that when I want to make some, I just need to add the buttermilk ...... or do you think it is better to store the spice mix on its own and mix it with the flour as you need it.  Cant wait to taste this - thanks chookie for the recipe, and thanks to everyone else for all the tweaks!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2011, 05:35:09 am »
I'm sure you can mix it all in. Make sure you let us know what you think of it! We all love it.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2011, 06:15:08 am »
A big thanks to achookwoman. This was a huge hit in my family. I had to play a little with the spices as I didn't have them all. I used my trusty 'Food Substitute Bible' and came up with something that would be pretty to close to your recipe. I made it once and my DS9 said he wanted it for his party 2 days later. It was a huge hit there as well. Needless to say all the kids loved it and the parents kept coming back for more. This will on our picnic and party menu in the future. I also love the idea of putting the spice in gift hampers.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2011, 06:42:16 am »
KJH,  I can't see why you couldn't mix it with flour,  in fact I have some like that now.  I just mix enough buttermilk in for what I need.

Sue H,  glad you all liked it.  The spice as gift was a great success at Xmas.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2011, 07:15:33 am »
I have started rubbing this spice mix on whole chickens before I roast them.  It makes a delicious spice rub.  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2011, 09:56:48 am »
Ooh, good idea Chelsea!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand