Author Topic: Hawaiian Chicken using cooked chicken(without pic)  (Read 9860 times)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
Hawaiian Chicken using cooked chicken(without pic)
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:06:54 am »
Name of Recipe:Hawaiian Chicken (using cooked chicken)
Number of People:5 - 6 servings
Ingredients:

1 BBQ chicken - meat removed
1 tbsp curry powder (or suit taste)
20g butter
1 onion
2 sticks celery
1 green capsicum - chopped by hand - cubes or strips
20g brown sugar
420g can tomato soup
420g pineapple pieces with juice

Preparation:
Chop onion & celery for 3 seconds on speed 5. Add butter, curry powder & capsicum, saute 6 mins varoma temp,  ^^.
Add remainder of ingredients. Cook 20 mins, 100 deg,  :-: with  ^^. (MC can be removed so that additional moisture is not added as there is no thickening - I will keep playing with this  adaptation)
Serve over rice.

Tips/Hints:This is a favourite with all ages - except for those who dislike pineapple. This is my first recipe submission, so the pros on this forum may be able to fix any of my errors. Unable to acknowledge original source as I received the recipe from a dear friend many years ago.    

members' comments

JD - had this with rice Robyn and it was delicious.  Making do with what I had in the house (a new rule of mine) I used 290g diced thigh meat (defatted weight), only a slightly heaped teaspoon curry powder, 300g MJ's passata sauce + 1 tblspn tomato paste, 225g can of pineapple pieces and some roasted red capsicum.  Thickened it with 2 tbs cornflour. Times were good except my machine doesn't like soft speed so I used speed 1 and only cooked it 15 minutes, adding thickening agent and cooking 1 more minute.  20 minutes for cooked chicken may be a little long - I think you could cut that time down a bit. DH thought it was great and I would serve this to anyone.  Thanks for your posting, well done for your first recipe.  This was enough for 3 good servings, could stretch it to 4 with some steamed vegies.
Robyn, if I was using cooked chicken I think I would cook the sauce and just add the chicken at the end to heat it up.

Kimberley -  thanks for the recipe!  My hubs loved it. In fact, it is similar to a dish his mum makes 'mince meat mornay' if you subsitute the chicken for mince meat and the pineapple for rice.
I used raw chicken breast, cup into bite size pieces. I added it at the 'add remaining ingredients' stage. It was cooked in about 10 minutes  and was nice and tender. My husband said it was like sweet and sour, without so much sweetness.

CP - I made this and added the chicken at the 10 minute stage and the chicken was mushy as it disintegrated because I turned the speed up to 1 so that it would be stirred quicker and I didn't think that it would heat thru. I added a heaped teaspoon of curry which was a good amount for us and found that with the tinned soup it didn't require cornflour. Perhaps another variation to the meat would be pork and fish? Will definitely make it again as despite the mushiness (which was my fault) it was very tasty...leftovers were demolished today for lunch.

Caroline J - The kids quite liked it but DH LOVED it!  He was suggesting trying it with fish next time...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:15:14 am by judydawn »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hawaiian Chicken (without pic)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 02:07:35 am »
Great to see you post your first conversion Robyn - it sounds like something my DH would enjoy. I have some chicken thighs, roasted red capsicum and some of MJ's tomato passata in the freezer so will probably substitute with these ingredients and put it on the menu for later in the week.  Will let you know how it goes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:20:41 am »
Just had this for lunch with rice Robyn and it was delicious.  Making do with what I had in the house (a new rule of mine) I used 290g diced thigh meat (defatted weight), only a slightly heaped teaspoon curry powder, 300g MJ's passata sauce + 1 tblspn tomato paste, 225g can of pineapple pieces and some roasted red capsicum.  Thickened it with 2 tblspns cornflour. Times were good except my machine doesn't like soft speed so I used speed 1 and only cooked it 15 minutes, adding thickening agent and cooking 1 more minute.  20 minutes for cooked chicken may be a little long - I think you could cut that time down a bit. DH thought it was great and I would serve this to anyone.  Thanks for your posting, well done for your first recipe.  Keep them coming.  :-* :-*

This was enough for 3 good servings, could stretch it to 4 with some steamed vegies
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:07:16 am by judydawn »

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:49:26 am »
A great review JD.  I look forward to trying this one.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:04:41 am »
Thanks Chelsea, I'm sure the kidlets will enjoy it.

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:18 am »
Oooh, sounds yummy.  Will put this on my menu plan for next week :)  Review soon!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:07:27 am »
this looks like something mum used to make years ago. we would have this for tea when she played golf on Saturday's. i must make it to see if its the same as i remember...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 11:29:28 pm »
Judy - I remember you saying once before that your TMX was not good on ^^. Has it always been like this or do you think that it is slowing down? Its just sometimes I think that mine is not as powerful as it used to be (now 2 years old) and wondered if they need to be serviced periodically. Does anyone know?
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:54:38 am »
Thanks JD for ironing out what I knew were gliches in the conversion.  I have the most difficulty estimating the length of cooking times - thankfully I have not had issues with having to serve a any dish with a straw as the main eating utensil!!!!
Cheers
Robyn  :) :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 05:53:00 am »
Judy - I remember you saying once before that your TMX was not good on ^^. Has it always been like this or do you think that it is slowing down? Its just sometimes I think that mine is not as powerful as it used to be (now 2 years old) and wondered if they need to be serviced periodically. Does anyone know?

Mine is the same and I rarely use the soft speed option for anything now. I'm sure mine has lost some grunt.  :'( 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:07 am »
It's just that it barely moves on  ^^ Hannah so whether it has always been like that I can't remember (mine will be 2 yrs old in October).  I like to see my food moving plus it prevents food sticking and having to spend more time cleaning the bowl.  

Robyn, if I was using cooked chicken I think I would cook the sauce and just add the chicken at the end to heat it up. My DH is on medication which makes everything 'dry' in his eyes so I am mindful of not overcooking any meat. It is a great little recipe.

Offline Kimberley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 11:21:23 am »
Hi and thanks for the recipe! We had this for tea tonight and my hubs loved it. In fact, it is similiar to a dish his mum makes 'mince meat mornay' if you subsitute the chicken for mince meat and the pineapple for rice.
I used raw chicken breast, cup into bite size pieces. I added it at the 'add remaining ingredients' stage. It was cooked in about 10 minutes, and nice and tender.
My husband said it was like sweet and sour, without so much sweetness.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »
i made this last night, and added the chicken at the 10 minute stage and the chicken was mushy as it disintegrated because i turned the speed up to 1 so that it would be stirred quicker and I didn't think that it would heat thru. i added a heaped teaspoon of curry which was a good amount for us, and found that with the tinned soup it didn't require cornflour. perhaps another variation to the meat would be pork and fish?

will definitely make it again as despite the mushiness (which was my fault) it was very tasty...leftovers were demolished today for lunch.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 09:46:51 am »
Making this now, review later.  Sure smells good....

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 09:56:54 am »
Good work johnro - it is always great to have people give conversions a go and publish them.  :-* :-*

Great to have JD to do the testing and review too  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.