Author Topic: Savoury Waffles  (Read 5505 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Savoury Waffles
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:11:38 pm »
My DH requested corn meat fritters, as I had smoked some corn beef and had left overs. I ended up making waffles as it is so much easier! DH loved them  :)

This recipe is based on Quirky Jo's fermented waffles. I did a half quantity. Sorry I can't do a link to them.

Makes 4 and a bit large waffles - 4 serves.

Add 180g uncooked brown rice and 50g dried chick peas (total 230g of grains of choice), 1 tabs of olive oil, 230mls milk (or milk of choice), and 1/2 teas apple cider vinegar to the TM bowl.

Blend on speed 9 for 2 mins. Scrape and blend again for another 2 mins. Let stand until ready to cook. I left them for about 4 hours, as only thought to make them at lunchtime, so I added an extra minute of blending time to the original recipe.

Add 1 egg, tumeric (about 1/2 teas), 1 red chilli, 1/2 red onion, salt and pepper, 2 cloves of garlic and blend for 1 minute on speed 9.

Add 1 teas baking powder, 1/2 teas bicarbonate of soda and blend for 4 secs speed 4.

I added diced corn beef, marinated capsicums, corn kernels and shallots to bowl. (no measurements, what looked right!). Fold gently in on reverse, approx 5 secs.

Cook in waffle iron, or could be cooked as fritters. Left overs reheat successfully on gentle heat in a frypan.

Thanks Jo for an amazing recipe.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Savoury Waffles
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 02:24:55 pm »
ElleG,  sounds interesting.  Do you grind the grains first?

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 11:20:17 pm »
Chookie, I don't grind the grains first.  The grains are blended with the milk, and it becomes a batter. If the mixture is too thick, extra milk can be added. When I make Jo's fermented waffles I usually leave overnight, but with an extra minute of grinding they were nice and light.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 11:54:03 am »
I was going to put a link to Jo's recipe ElleG but I couldn't find the recipe on her blog  :-))
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:57:23 pm »
Sorry Judydawn I have called it a different name to what Quirky Jo calls it. The recipe is here on page 5 of special diets under Blender batter waffles and pancakes, with photos.

I just love the basic waffle recipe and how it can be tweaked to make savoury. Also make it with brown rice weekly for breakfast waffles and serve with yogurt, berries and fruit for breakfast. It makes such a light crisp waffle - great for guests and feels very indulgent. ;D also freezes well and crisps up well in a dry frypan.