Author Topic: Sim's Flourless Chocolate Cake - GF  (Read 7841 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Sim's Flourless Chocolate Cake - GF
« on: September 18, 2009, 11:49:06 pm »
From Sim at this post http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=1805.msg16674#msg16674

Chocolate Flourless Cake

Serving Size
Makes 1 cake

1 cinnamon stick (1 tsp ground)
2 whole navel oranges
320g pure maple syrup (1 cup)
6 organic eggs or 12 egg whites
pinch of sea salt
550g almonds (4 cups ground)
320g good quality cocoa powder (1 cup)
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Note: Forgive me, but I am in doubt that these gram measurements are correct as I forgot to take note while I was cooking, so it may be safer to use the cup measurements in brackets, I'm sorry!

1. Place cinnamon in TM bowl. Speed 8 for 1-2 minutes or until finely ground, set aside.
2. Place almonds in TM bowl. Speed 8 for 1-2 minutes or until finely ground, set aside.
3. Pour 1000g (approx) of water into TM bowl, place oranges in Varoma tray. Speed 1, Varoma temperature, 30-40 minutes until soft. Allow to cool then quarter without peeling.
4. Preheat oven to 175ºC.
5. Place oranges, maple syrup and salt in TM bowl. Puree at speed 8, 30-60 seconds until smooth.
6. Add previously ground almonds, eggs, cocoa, and 1 tsp of previously ground cinnamon. Speed 5, 10-20 seconds until well mixed.
7. Pour mixture into a cake pan (round 30cm approx) lined with greaseproof paper and bake for about 50-60 minutes until cooked through. Test with a skewer to check. The cake should be lovely and moist. Remove from the oven and cool completely then remove from the tin. Store for 1 week covered in the fridge.

Notes: The conversion is from memory, so please post any adjustments where necessary. I usually half this recipe and bake it in a small loaf pan (and for slightly less time), as I only have 2 people in my household, and the ingredients are pretty pricey. When i am feeling particularly cheap, instead of using just maple syrup, I use half honey and half maple syrup.
Generally flourless cakes don't rise much, so if your pan is filled with batter about 2cm from the rim, it shouldn't overflow. This cake is very dense and moist, so when testing, keep in mind that the skewer won't necessarily come out 'clean', instead it will give you an indication of how cooked it is.

Original recipe: http://www.teresacutter.com/recipes.asp?recipeid=7&bookid=
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Re: Sim's Flourless Chocolate Cake - GF
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:48:50 am »
I made this today to send in to my mum's work tomorrow (she was late to a meeting last week and they said she had to bring a cake to make up for it :-))).

It smelled absolutely delicious while cooking, like really rich jaffa. I'll post another photo after I decorate it, and I'll also post any comments mum brings home... ;)

Oh, and 1 cup of pure maple syrup is only 250g.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »
Thanks for bumping this one, Amy . . .  sounds absolutely delicious!! :D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »
No worries GF, I was really nervous making it because there were no other reviews... but I was brave and took the plunge ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 12:46:38 am »
This cake keep looking better and better ;D

I cut through it to put the filling in and it was so moist and beautiful and smelled DIVINE. I'll post the recipe for the filling I made and I'll post another photo on here when I put the chocolate topping on (to hide the cracks I made when I lifted the top off) ;)

I can't wait to hear how everyone likes it! :D :D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 01:17:20 am »
Amy it sound like a very rich cake, i think a tiny slice would be plenty  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:45:40 am »
Definitely a rich cake Uni, it weighs a tonne!! :o

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »
Tha cake has been completely devoured and the results are in.... :-))

"Amazing", "Fantastic", "Delicious", "Oh my god thats so yum", and "Can I have the recipe!?!" were just a few of the many lovely comments made about this wonderfully rich and decadent cake :D

My decorating skills leave a lot to be desired, but it was an absolute hit ;)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 11:18:46 pm »
Amy that looks fantastic, and it's great that everyone enjoyed it so much. Is it more of a Jaffa rather than plain chocolate cake?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:29:34 am »
Yes Wonder, I'd say its a very rich jaffa cake. Absolutely delicious! :D