Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8983475 times)

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #2730 on: February 22, 2010, 04:52:57 am »
I'm reverting back to childhood and am whipping up some strawberry junket (I have fond memories of junket as a kid).

I'll use a TMX junket recipe from http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/2010/01/thermomix-junket-and-blueberries.html and will add strawberry Nesquik for flavouring (as you can't get the flavoured tablets anymore, just the plain powder).

Wonder if my kids will like it?  They haven't ever tried junket before.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: February 22, 2010, 05:16:42 am »
Thanks for reminding me Bellesy that I bought that junket power a couple of weeks ago for some recipe but had forgotten which one - Thermomixer's will do the trick  ;) ;)  Taking some around to my dear old Mum who is having memory problems of a different nature these days - I'm sure she will remember the days she used to make this for us kids though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2732 on: February 22, 2010, 05:20:21 am »
I've still got 1/2 a box of over-ripe tomatoes to get rid of, so I'm making a second batch of my Roasted Tomato Sugo!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: February 22, 2010, 06:07:55 am »
Judy for you and your Mum. :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

For the junket. >:( >:(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2734 on: February 22, 2010, 06:19:17 am »
Today I made 2 lots of jam.  Blackberry (without seeds) with plum, and Blackberry (without seeds) and apple.    A dip from left over cooked salmon, zapped with a little Philly and lemon Juice.   Ate this with a bread stick ,from a modified isi recipe. Chow Mein to take to DD tomorrow.  This is incredible,  all in TMX,  but i really should be cleaning up the house for a Demo on Wed.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: February 22, 2010, 06:20:52 am »
Thanks Cookie1. You understand what's down the track.  Not a junket lover aye Cookie?

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:41 am »
Yesterday DH cooked the Stollen on the UKThermomix website.  It was a challange from the chef at his work, who has not heard of TMX before.  He did most of it himself....with a few pointers from me.  He even did the marzipan too.  We had to blanch the almonds ourselves as we only had raw almonds.  I had more patience for that...probably cos I did the shopping and was happy to sit down and pop almonds out of their skins for a while.  He doesn't do much cooking at all.  So you can imagine how much cleaning up there was after!  Chef rated it a 7.5/10 so a good effort.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: February 22, 2010, 10:47:57 am »
Today I've done pumpkin scones, junket that didn't set  >:( >:( and lemon chicken for tea (it was nice but I think I can improve on it so I'll sit on that recipe for a while).

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2738 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:06 pm »
Yesterday DH cooked the Stollen on the UKThermomix website.  It was a challange from the chef at his work, who has not heard of TMX before.  He did most of it himself....with a few pointers from me.  He even did the marzipan too.  We had to blanch the almonds ourselves as we only had raw almonds.  I had more patience for that...probably cos I did the shopping and was happy to sit down and pop almonds out of their skins for a while.  He doesn't do much cooking at all.  So you can imagine how much cleaning up there was after!  Chef rated it a 7.5/10 so a good effort.

Good work - nothing like going for a simple dish like stollen stuffed with amrzipan for a first effort  ;D ;D ;D Congrats to DH
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2739 on: February 22, 2010, 12:23:47 pm »
..... junket that didn't set  >:( >:( ........

Sorry JD, mine started to set almost before it started to be poured.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: February 22, 2010, 12:33:23 pm »
OK, so what did I do wrong?  That silly little spoon in the container is supposed to be 1/8th of a teaspoon but they don't say level or heaped.  I did it with a level one to start with and when it didn't set I started over again with the same mixture and added another spoonful - still didn't set.  I often used to have trouble with the tablets years ago too so maybe I am just not meant to be able to make something as simple as junket. Any hints would be appreciated as I am not going to waste that $8 bottle of junket powder.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: February 22, 2010, 12:48:55 pm »
Goodness! Mine always sets too quick! Is it heated just to 37oC? 1/8tsp in 500ml of full cream milk - full cream might make the difference ???  :-\

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: February 22, 2010, 12:55:28 pm »
OK, so what did I do wrong? 

Any hints would be appreciated as I am not going to waste that $8 bottle of junket powder.

Oh no, JudyDawn!  Sorry to hear the junket didn't set  :(

These tips are on the simplyjunket website -- would any apply to you?

Do not add dissolved junket powder to overheated milk as this will destroy the active ingredient.
Do not disturb the set of the junket, always pour the milk with junket into individual serving dishes immediately after stirring.
Skim milks, Long Life (UHT) milks, condensed milk and some powdered milks may not set.
Soy milk and lactose free milk will not set.

I didn't get to make junket tonight after all.  I gave everyone a choice and they picked chocolate custard instead (again!).  But as soon as that's all gone, I'm getting that junket powder bottle out and getting some use out of it.  Will let you know how my attempt goes.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: February 22, 2010, 01:31:38 pm »
Oh no, JudyDawn!  Sorry to hear the junket didn't set  :(

These tips are on the simplyjunket website -- would any apply to you?
Skim milks, Long Life (UHT) milks, condensed milk and some powdered milks may not set.

That's the one thanks bellesy.  I used UHT and normally use skim milk all the time so looks like I will have to buy full cream milk and a proper 1/8th spoon measure too whilst I am at it. Still don't know if they mean a level or heaped measure of that spoon that was in the container of powder.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:52 pm »
Last night I made Asparagus & pea risotto, this morning I did a big batch of formula milk  ;D and tonight I'm doing pasta in tomato sauce.  The plan was also to make some of Isi's bread (with spelt flour), but a prolonged bout of colic took place instead.  I might manage to get it done later, though.

DD and DH were excited and celebrating my cooking 'normally' with the thermomix again, last night.  They stood and watched me walking to get the ingredients as if it was one of the best shows ever.  From which you may gather that my pelvis is returning to normal now that I'm no longer pregnant (hurray!!!).  We all toasted the fact that 'Mummy can walk again' over dinner.  It feels FANTASTIC  ;D

I've never seen or tried junket, by the way (although I've heard of it via medieval cooking).  Is it similar to blamange?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:17:03 pm by CarolineW »
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!