Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9035791 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #2670 on: February 10, 2010, 08:28:41 am »
Judy this is the recipe for the dressing.
3 tablespoons raw tahini
1-2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (optional)

It is a bit asian in flavour, but actually came from a lovely Israeli lady called Janna Gur whose website, A Taste of Israel,  -
http://www.jannagur.com/site/detail/detail/detailDetail.asp?detail_id=1285845
has loads of delicious recipes.  Israelis are big on salads and they do them well so it is worth a look for those of us in areas where it is currently too hot to cook.  I just adore any kinds of North African or Middle Eastern food, so I am always finding intersting sites like this one!
I made a coleslaw-like thing with chinese cabbage, julienned carrot, celery, cucumber and toasted walnuts and used the dressing on that - delicious!

Falafels are very easily made and taste great, too!  They freeze well, so you can make a big batch and then just nuke a few when you want them.  Served with hummous or tahini mixed with a little plain yoghurt - perfect!

I made this salad today Amanda and not only did we both enjoy it but I finally got to use some more of my jar of tahini. Thanks a lot.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2671 on: February 11, 2010, 07:12:18 am »
Glad you enjoyed it, Judy!
I have just made natslim's brownies with a tweak or two.
They are divine!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: February 11, 2010, 07:54:30 am »
Today I concocted a new pork dish and found a low-fat vanilla ice-cream recipe from a 1960's Women's Weekly book made from evaporated milk - just like Mum used to make.  About to post it right now.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2673 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:34 am »
Today I cooked Isi's Rustic Bread.    This has a very good texture and a very good flavor.   It is difficult to remove from the bowl as it is one of those 1 rise breads.  I didn't have the correct size tin,  so I stuffed some foil in the end of the too large tin.   Worked well.
 I also cooked a chook marinated in a herb paste.   I've posted the recipe on my blog and will swap over when Amanda shows me how. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))     Also made Isi's Portuguese rolls ,substituted 100g quinota flakes for some of the wheat flour,
and formed them into 'snails".    I also only cooked them for 15 mins.  as I will reheat them tomorrow night for visitors. Also on blog.
JD I remember that ice cream.   Let us know what it is like if you make it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »
We had the chicken with mustard and brandy etc (can't remember its correct name) it was lovely. Then I smashed up some custard ice cubes I had made with 50g of Lindt orange Intense chocolate in it and made soft serve icecream. Wow. I don't think I will ever make 'normal' icecream again.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2675 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:40 pm »
Yummo cookie1, that sounds divine! What a great idea!

Today I made some delicious spelt and wheat bread:

Also, made some chickpea pattie mix to cook tomorrow and a Light Fruit Cake which must be someone's TMX recipe from this forum as it's set out for the TMX. It's yummy!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: February 11, 2010, 03:46:56 pm »
Looks lovely MJ  ;D

As you have probably read I am on a bit of an icecream binge (making and eating) so there has been lots of that going on. Also I made the asian style fish for dinner tonight - yummo :)

Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: February 11, 2010, 09:33:52 pm »
Yummo cookie1, that sounds divine! What a great idea!

Today I made some delicious spelt and wheat bread:

Also, made some chickpea pattie mix to cook tomorrow and a Light Fruit Cake which must be someone's TMX recipe from this forum as it's set out for the TMX. It's yummy!

Looks great MJ.  Could you post the recipe please.  Have recently bought  some spelt flour so would like to give it a try.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: February 11, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »
MJ, well done!  Lovely looking loaf.

Cookie, how long do you blitz your cubes of custard for ice-cream.  I tried it once and it turned back into liquid :P :P

Nice to see you back on air JulieO, had missed your postings then realised you were off to Adelaide this week. Bet you picked up every ingredient you can't get in Whyalla, so what delights are going to be popping up with photos anytime soon  ;) ;)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2679 on: February 11, 2010, 11:32:19 pm »
Speaking of ice-cream - we're having chocolate ice-cream for breakfast right now!!!  Don't worry, it's made out of frozen bananas, cacao powder, pecans, and agave nectar!  Healthy and yummy - great for getting sleepy kids out of bed!!!  ;D
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2680 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:38 pm »
You girls are brilliant :-)).   So many good ideas.  The freezers are all full.   I have had to freeze left overs so that I am not tempted to eat them.  Had to go on a diet (DH also),  and cancel my Audible subscription as I haven't got time to listern to my audio books.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: February 12, 2010, 05:48:15 am »
Nice to see you back on air JulieO, had missed your postings then realised you were off to Adelaide this week. Bet you picked up every ingredient you can't get in Whyalla, so what delights are going to be popping up with photos anytime soon  ;) ;)

Thanks Judy, that's nice of you to say. :D  Unfortunately I had to cancel my trip to Adelaide last week, DH had to move our son to Adelaide without me.  Had the worse cold you can imagine and still not feeling 100%, haven't been making anything of note, just getting through.  Will be glad when my mojo returns.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2682 on: February 12, 2010, 06:50:04 am »
Visitors for tea,  cooked Isi's shrimp soup, custard to go with the Xmas fruit slice (recipes from Forum).  mashed potato with parsnip,  and snail rolls- based on Isi's recipe.  Aunty Glads Cold Pineapple Pudding. I usually offer 2 choices of sweets,  I don't know why!!!!.   All to go with the roast beef, ratatouille,  and tiny french beans just picked from the garden.My consultant,  the beautiful Anita,  has just called in and brought a slice of a lovely chocolate cake she made.   It was made with coconut oil and coconut flour.   I will ask her if I can post it as it had a lovely flavor.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: February 12, 2010, 07:44:05 am »
Judy re the custard icecream, I just put one tray of the ice cubes into the machine and turned it up high. I then realised that all it had done was blitz them, so I added a slurp of milk and then it very quickly turned into soft serve icecream. I think if I had let it go too long it would have become liquid. It all happened very quickly.

JulieO, I hope you're feeling better soon.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: February 12, 2010, 09:13:14 am »
Speaking of ice-cream - we're having chocolate ice-cream for breakfast right now!!!  Don't worry, it's made out of frozen bananas, cacao powder, pecans, and agave nectar!  Healthy and yummy - great for getting sleepy kids out of bed!!!  ;D
Recipe please!  Pretty please!  I'm addicted to your healthy versions of everything imaginable Jo.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com