Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 9009883 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #2700 on: February 18, 2010, 04:13:29 am »
I've just put Chookie's orange and apricot slice in the oven and for dinner we're having Baf's chicken with mango sorbet to cool down after.  Possibly Isi's buttermilk bread later if it's not too hot.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: February 18, 2010, 07:43:36 am »
Had viisitors for lunch today - made isi's fast & fluffy rolls, my Asian flavoured chicken stew with Bron's steamed garlic rice and Jo's choc-banana-nut ice-cream which all went down a treat with a couple of bottles of wine.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2702 on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:01 am »
a couple of bottles of wine.

:o :o :o I hope you used some of that wine in your cooking JD!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2703 on: February 18, 2010, 11:02:36 am »
Tonight we had a picnic in the pine forest up on Mt. Macedon ,  with some friends.  We all take our own meal as well as something to share.   I made Egg Plant Dip,  and Belgium Lemon Teacake for afters.   Both a great success.  One of the group had just been to a Demo.   She was very impressed with the TMX but didn't like the Mushroom Risotto.  I didn't like it either when I went to my Ist. Demo.  I think that HO have got to revisit the menu for the Demos.

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: February 18, 2010, 11:07:10 am »
I have the meatloaf with red sauce varomaing away right now, and I made a torte caprese for dessert. 
I'm trying to impress the husband with something special for our anniversary dinner (9 years).

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: February 18, 2010, 11:15:59 am »
No, we drank the lot Chelsea, had a great afternoon, haven't laughed so much in ages  :-)) :-)) :-))

A picnic in a pine forest - sounds nice Chookie.

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary AmandaN - I'm sure DH will be impressed you have made a special effort for tonight.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:32:15 am by judydawn »

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2706 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:24 am »
Happy anniversary Amanda!!  :D

Well, I'm exhausted after teaching a cooking class to 30 + kids, ranging in ages from 16 down to toddlers, plus parents!  Phew!  We made mayonnaise, butter, and chopped lots of veges for tuna-egg-salad sandwiches.  They each made up their own spread in a small bowl, cut crusts off bread, rolled it flat, spread with their tuna spread and rolled them up.  They thought it was great, and although it sounds simple, it took an hour and there was a very big mess!!!  (It's not actually a Thermomix cooking class, it's the cooking class for our homeschool group - I just can't help using my Thermomix to make it easier!)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:20 am »
Happy anniversary Amanda.

Great effort with the children's cooking class. They would have got so much from it, it is worth the mess.

Judy I'm glad you had a lovely afternoon, a little wine never goes astray. Your meal sounds lovely.

Chookie your picnic sounds so restful. Is it lovely up there, every time I hear Mt Macedon I think of the fires a while back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 11:50:25 am by cookie1 »

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2708 on: February 18, 2010, 12:16:29 pm »
Yes Cookie,  it is a lovely spot for a picnic,  especially mid- week.   This is where I found the native  Mountain Pepper bushes,  the ones that Andi.  was talking about.   Yes we do worry about the fires.   Last year we left home 3 times when we thought they were getting too close.
Quirky, it is such fun teaching kids (big and small),  even though exhausting.   Good on you for a job well done.
JD, sounds like a good time was had by all,   and what a meal you provided. ;) ;) ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: February 18, 2010, 12:37:03 pm »
Thanks Cookie & Chookie - This was the first time I have actually cooked something whilst visitors have been there - normally I have everything done and dusted before they arrive and am a little nervous about using the TMX in front of people but today I went great guns - must have chosen the right things to do and the ice-cream completed the day.  That will give me the confidence now to do it on the spot more often.  Spent very little time away from our guests.  I prepped last night so it was just a matter of throwing things into the bowl in the right order, the rice came from the freezer and just had to be reheated and the rolls I made first thing this morning. It was so easy it just didn't feel right ??? ???

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2710 on: February 19, 2010, 12:18:22 am »
JD,  I can see you have it all worked out,  you must share more of how you organize things when you have visitors.   DIL birthday on Sunday and she has ordered Isi's Coffee dessert.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2711 on: February 19, 2010, 05:29:45 am »
Today I made Muesli,  no fat and no added sugar or honey.   I chopped the Apricots and dried Apple in the TMX.   This was great as it is the bit I hate.    We had chicken and avo.  sandwiches for lunch.  The bread was an adaption of Isi's Everyday bread.  I added LSA and Wholemeal flour. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: February 19, 2010, 06:42:23 am »
Chookie what do you put in your muesli please?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: February 19, 2010, 06:49:28 am »
Chookie, I haven't been entertaining as much as I used to but I keep a special book in which I always write who came and what I served so that I don't ever give them the same thing twice.  Some people are a nightmare to feed - they don't eat this and that, won't have sauces and just want the plainest of food which I find very hard to do.  Consequently I do tend to put asking them for a meal off quite a lot. As far as the prep work for yesterdays visitors went, I prepared everything I needed for the main course the night before i.e. chopped the vegies and defatted the chicken thighs (so time consuming), had all the condiments on the cupboard next to my TMX and once they arrived, sauteed the onion and garlic, added the chicken for the first stage then took them outside to see my new vegie garden.  By the time we got back inside, it was singing away - I added the vegies and then sat in the lounge with them having a drink until it was ready to thicken. I let it sit 15 minutes to develop flavour during which time I zapped the rice, heated the rolls and put it all on the table for them to help themselves (all the time chatting away to my SIL).  Now that entire meal (remembering it was only lunch and I don't serve 3 course lunches, only dinners) will be noted in my book as one that can be used for all visitors until they all have had it. I get a good run out of a menu and it means I don't have to come up with a different one every time. We don't entertain a lot as most of our friends don't do visitors to meals and prefer to eat out. You would entertain a lot more than me Chookie and I'm sure you delight your guests every time.

If anyone else has quick meals for entertaining - love to hear them.  

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2714 on: February 19, 2010, 10:50:27 am »
Today I cooked Isi's fast fluffy rolls - beautiful!
Sorry that I'm not posting as much, folks.  This blogging stuff is keeping me busy!! :o
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com