Author Topic: COFFEE BREAD PUDDING  (Read 10006 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: COFFEE BREAD PUDDING
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 09:02:48 pm »
Thanks Judy.

I haven't purchased instant coffee for many, many years.   For cooking I often use cold-brewed coffee concentrate (Toddy coffee) or espresso brewed from fresh-ground beans.   My everyday coffee is brewed in a Senseo machine. 

I think I will try using what I have on hand.  I stopped using instant coffee in cooking because it caused me to sneeze and cough whenever I opened a jar.  I'm not sure why, plain coffee doesn't bother me. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 09:05:26 pm »
The concentrate sounds fine Andi.  I made a batch myself recently from the forum for iced coffee and could have used some of that - didn't even enter my mind though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 12:05:41 am »
The coffee concentrate keeps well in the fridge and can even be frozen in ice cube trays then stored in freezer bags for "instant" use.

One benefit is that there are no chemicals added for "anti-clumping" and other less identifiable purposes. 

A cup or so of this concentrate can be sweetened and then reduced by gentle simmering until you have a coffee syrup that has many uses.

Unsweetened it adds wonderful flavor to brown gravies - the "famous" (or infamous) "Red-Eye" ham gravy, popular in the southern US has this as its principal ingredient.   I have a friend, a Basque, who swears by a combination of the sweetened coffee syrup, rendered lamb fat and sherry vinegar as a final dressing for lamb cooked over a charcoal fire (indirectly - with the coals to either side and the roast over a drip pan).   He uses a sprig of rosemary to brush the stuff onto the meat.  Lovely flavor.
There is a significant Basque community in the little town of Rosamond just a few miles north of my home.   There is a lovely Basque restaurant there and during the many years I have eaten there, I have become acquainted with several folks who are as enthusiastic about food as I am. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 12:11:35 am »
I will  try  this pudding  because it seems to be DELICIOUS!! ;)
Here in Portugal there we  also bread make bread pudding that I love, but I have never seen with Coffee ;)
Another one for the list....
Thanks for sharing
isi