Author Topic: MY "VERY NORMAL" BREAD  (Read 94595 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: MY "VERY NORMAL" BREAD
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2010, 07:40:22 am »
Did the dough rise well after it was mixed the first time? 

It may be that there was not as much need for the water, but it may be that the gluten didn't het activated and yeast didn't work as well.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2010, 07:54:41 am »
Without reading thru every single page....can someone in WA please tell me where I can get fresh yeast from?
I am not in WA but you can ask at any bakery and often it is available at health food stores in the fridge section as well.

Hope that helps.  :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2010, 11:00:08 am »
I tried this bread last night using all white spelt flour and added the 7 tbs of seeds, I added an extra few MC's of flour but the dough was still very sticky and the bread turned out very heavy. I tried one piece for toast this morning and will use the remainder of the loaf for breadcrumbs - does anyone know if it would be the result of using all spelt flour?
Nadine

My friends that make spelt bread tend to use specific spelt bread recipes but with rather average results.  There are some spelt bread recipes you could try on Jo's Quirky Cooking blog.  Is it possible to buy spelt bread flour or only spelt plain white flour (like you would also use for cakes etc)?  Making bread with plain flour isn't great at the best of times and it would be even more difficult with spelt because it behaves slightly different to wheat anyway.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2010, 11:52:24 am »
Wonder,  the relationship between different flours and water is to be noted.   Today as an experiment I substituted 100g of bakers flour with coconut flour,  to see what would result.  I had to add an additional 100gs. of water to get a good dough.   The result was a nice soft bread roll that didn't rise to the same as with 100 percent wheat flour,   I've posted the recipe on my blog and will try and swap it over when I learn how.  I would think your problem would be the spelt flour.   As spelt doesn't have the same gluten as wheat you would need to add more yeast and/or prove it for longer.   I am thinking off the top of my head , so would need to experiment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2010, 12:15:04 pm »
When I made this bread the other day I used 520g of bakers' flour and it was not sticky at all, just right.

CP63, I have been trying to get some fresh yeast too. I used to buy it in health food shops but none seem to have it. I believe VHJ asked at Brumby's and was suitably rewarded. I'll go and try my local one during next week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2010, 03:30:20 am »
Without reading thru every single page....can someone in WA please tell me where I can get fresh yeast from?
I am not in WA but you can ask at any bakery and often it is available at health food stores in the fridge section as well.

Hope that helps.  :)

This may have been mentioned already - not sure.... :-\   but I grabbed some fresh yeast the other day from the local beer-brewing place in Busselton - one of those "do it yourself" brewing places.  I'm sure there would be heaps in Perth as well, could look up if there's one close to you guys.  They are probably more likely to have fresher yeast too as they go through so much of it.  It was 100g for about $2-3.   Hope that helps  ;D
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:09 am »
Thanks alioop thats a brilliant suggestion  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2010, 05:59:59 am »
No problem CP63  :D - sure it was someone elses suggestion off here somewhere though, so sadly can't take the cred for that one!  ;D  Also haven't got around to using it to make some rolls yet (needed a break, as getting despondent that mine are like door stops)  ;D
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2010, 09:37:27 am »
Thanks Ali. We have one of those brewing places not far away. I'll try there.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2010, 09:09:54 am »
I've started gradually adding linseeds to this loaf, to get the family used to the grains.  Up to 2 tablespoons today and no one is complaining as they are a nice small seed.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2010, 10:22:59 am »
It's amazing how a simple bread can please everyone and may be adapt to many different tastes!
Thank you all for your comments

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2010, 03:41:43 am »
I made my best loaf of bread ever today using this recipe.  I was so excited!!!  I used 700g of baker flour (I forgot to mill any grains), 25gm of seeds and rapadura instead of sugar.  I did the first rise in the TMX (45 mins), then knocked it down and kneaded it for 1 minute.  I then did a second rise in the bread tin on a sunny window sill (30 minutes).  I cooked it for about 30 minutes. Yummo!!! Now I need to work out how much wholegrain flour I can add without losing too much of the lightness. :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2010, 10:52:07 am »
Chelsea,  try 200 wholemeal to 500 white.   You could work up to 1/2 and 1/2.

Offline GeraniumQueen

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2010, 02:04:40 am »
Have these in the oven atm and they smell and look soo good!

I am loving your bread recipes isi, they remind me of home :)

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2010, 01:06:44 am »
It is so great to read about all this positiv results!
Thank you so much :)
isi