Author Topic: Lemon Sauce (for Lemon Chicken)  (Read 14546 times)

Offline sabimby

• View Profile
Lemon Sauce (for Lemon Chicken)
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »
I've tried Googling a Thermomix recipe for Lemon Sauce, i.e. to cook lemon chicken, similar to takeaway from a Chinese shop. Has anyone come across one or have a recipe in another cookbook they can convert?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Sauce (for Lemon Chicken)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:30:28 am »
From the WW Chinese Cooking Class recipe book:-
3 tblspns rice flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups water
2/3 cup lemon juice
2 chicken stock cubes
2 tspns soy sauce
1 tspn grated green ginger
S & P
2 tspns dry sherry

Sorry, not well today so have a go at converting, should be easy enough.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:39:48 am »
that sounds much like i would make it!

just chop the ginger (i would probably do some zest too) then chuck all the rest in and cook for 7 mins on 90's speed 4 at a guess. good luck :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:21:42 am »
Hope you're feeling better soon Judy. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 12:12:40 pm »
I made one last month which was really good from

http://www.recipezaar.com/Baked-Lemon-Chicken-With-Chinese-Lemon-Sauce-194890

Chinese Lemon Sauce

* 1/4 cup sugar
    * 1/3 cup chicken broth
    * 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    * 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    * 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * 1 teaspoon cold water

Because some of the feedback said the baking soda taste came through too much, I didn't use any (actually, it isn't in the sauce bit of the recipe which I've copied above, but in the chicken bit which I haven't copied).  When I tasted the final product it was a little bit too sweet for my taste, so I added a small amount of baking soda thinking it might tone it down a bit - which it did.  It added a slightly sour note.  Next time I might see if this could be achieved by adding some grated lemon rind.

The original instructions are:

Chinese Lemon Sauce: Heat all ingredients except cornstarch and cold water to boiling in 1-quart suacepan, stirring occasionally. Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into sauce. Cook and stir about 30 seconds or until thickened. Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

So I just bunged everything into the TMX (except the cornstarch).  I seem to remember that I used it to steam the chicken in the Varoma - I'm sorry, I can't quite remember what I did, only that it was VERY easy.  So I'm guessing I did 15 mins / speed 2.5 / Varoma, and probably added a bit more water/broth??  I would have decided that once I saw how much cooking liquid I had in the bowl ready for steaming.  It may have been enough, or I may have upped the quantities.  I really can't remember.  Once the chicken and veg were finished steaming, I mixed the water and cornstarch, and added them to the bowl - 100oC / speed 3 / 2 mins

Obviously, if you weren't cooking the chicken and veg in the varoma, there would be no need to do things the way I did.  It would then be 100oC / speed 2-3 / 5-8 mins (note when it reached 100oC on scale)

It was very easy, and very tasty.  A big hit with the whole family.  Next time I make it (and there have been several requests for a next time) I'll post it in the main meals section, with the proper instructions!!!!  Meantime, I hope this is enough for you to dive in and give it a go if you like a sweet sauce that is just like the one from the Chinese takeaway, only nicer.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:29:44 am »
Great work girls  :-* :-* :-* :-* - I finally found the recipe - but these are perfect
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline sabimby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:30:31 am »
Thanks everyone for your replies... I'll give it a whirl!

Offline Maggie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 05:05:54 am »
Tried this one for dinner last night, it was very easy to make. I put an extra 1/4 cup of liquid in the sauce to steam veges and chicken on top but found it probably didn't need it, as the sauce was slightly runny. Love the flavours, I'll definetly be making this again  :) :)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:38 am »
Good to hear, Maggie.  Which recipe did you try?  If it was the one I gave, did you use any Bicarb at all??  Very interested to know, as I don't want to post this recipe on the forum 'proper' until it's refined a bit, so I'd appreciate the feedback.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:36:34 am »
I made one last month which was really good from

http://www.recipezaar.com/Baked-Lemon-Chicken-With-Chinese-Lemon-Sauce-194890

Chinese Lemon Sauce

* 1/4 cup sugar
    * 1/3 cup chicken broth
    * 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    * 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    * 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    * 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 garlic clove, minced
    * 2 teaspoons cornstarch
    * 1 teaspoon cold water

Because some of the feedback said the baking soda taste came through too much, I didn't use any (actually, it isn't in the sauce bit of the recipe which I've copied above, but in the chicken bit which I haven't copied).  When I tasted the final product it was a little bit too sweet for my taste, so I added a small amount of baking soda thinking it might tone it down a bit - which it did.  It added a slightly sour note.  Next time I might see if this could be achieved by adding some grated lemon rind.

The original instructions are:

Chinese Lemon Sauce: Heat all ingredients except cornstarch and cold water to boiling in 1-quart suacepan, stirring occasionally. Mix cornstarch and cold water; stir into sauce. Cook and stir about 30 seconds or until thickened. Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.

So I just bunged everything into the TMX (except the cornstarch).  I seem to remember that I used it to steam the chicken in the Varoma - I'm sorry, I can't quite remember what I did, only that it was VERY easy.  So I'm guessing I did 15 mins / speed 2.5 / Varoma, and probably added a bit more water/broth??  I would have decided that once I saw how much cooking liquid I had in the bowl ready for steaming.  It may have been enough, or I may have upped the quantities.  I really can't remember.  Once the chicken and veg were finished steaming, I mixed the water and cornstarch, and added them to the bowl - 100oC / speed 3 / 2 mins

Obviously, if you weren't cooking the chicken and veg in the varoma, there would be no need to do things the way I did.  It would then be 100oC / speed 2-3 / 5-8 mins (note when it reached 100oC on scale)

It was very easy, and very tasty.  A big hit with the whole family.  Next time I make it (and there have been several requests for a next time) I'll post it in the main meals section, with the proper instructions!!!!  Meantime, I hope this is enough for you to dive in and give it a go if you like a sweet sauce that is just like the one from the Chinese takeaway, only nicer.

I just made this as written, except that I added a third of a cup of water, and put in the rind and juice of one lemon rather than the tsp/tbsp thing. Also, used speed 3 during the varoma bit.  Turned out fine.