Author Topic: Heart foundation  (Read 19730 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Heart foundation
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:59 pm »
You are lucky Robyn. Some cases of cardiomyopathy sometimes doesn't have a good outcome.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2014, 10:15:47 pm »
yeah cookie, just wished they had picked it up earlier. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2014, 07:47:02 am »
Rest up Robyn!

I'm not a Paleo fan, but agree with the principles of the way of eating. I'm a wholefoods fan, eating a wide variety of grains including gluten free on occasion. We only eat saturated fats and macadamia and olive oils, butter, cream, whole milk etc.

I completed the survey of the HF Tick programme with very scathing comments and hope that many others did too. Cyndi O'Meara had the link on her FB page.

No one can really say what Paleolithic man ate and I bet it was different in different regions of the world then.

For those who have trouble with wheat, it's not that the grains have changed a great deal. We're still producing the same wheat we were when DH's grandfather ran the farm. We use seed that we save. What has changed are the processing methods. White flour wasn't readily available and the government didn't play with it by fortifying with vitamins etc. Bread is proven at a rapid rate instead of slowly and steadily in order to allow the gluten to develop. This is my theory of why there is so much gluten intolerance in society today. That and the fact that the Heart Foundation encourage us to eat a LOT of wheat. They say grains, but it's pretty rare to find Barley, Lupin, Oat or other grain breads in the supermarkets today.

If I make a wholemeal loaf from our own grain, I soak the dough overnight and add the yeast the next day before going through the bread making process. Of course, there's also sourdough, thanks to our Chookie. I don't make this as often, though as DH only likes soft white bread.  :-))

So, all in all, the Heart Foundation has a great deal to answer for. Encouraging low fat (meaning high sugar) and processed carbohydrates to the detriment of good wholesome made from scratch foods.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 02:55:33 am »
I did the survey, and added a good few comments, since I have heart problems..... :)
funny, I am never swayed by the heart foundation tick, and yet their marketing to people like me..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 03:19:46 am »
yeah cookie, just wished they had picked it up earlier. :)

At least things are on the up now.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 06:01:02 am »
just popped into work for 1/2 hour, felt great.. :)
I am home now..

[/url

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 06:09:17 am »
Robyn, Good to here you are nearly back to your old self well actually better than the recent old self.

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 06:18:53 am »
Meganjane can you explain how you soak your dough?

I've enjoyed reading the 500 odd posts on their fb page Re receiving the petition. I really hope the tick is given the flick. However too many big food companies rely on it and the HF national peak body. Pity it's totally corrupt and run by those whose mouths it feeds.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 07:01:33 am »
Good to hear you are feeling better Robyn.  :D

I'm part of a study at the moment. Started on 7th October and goes to the 7th of December. We had a blood test and height, weight, BP and measurements done. Low fat, plant based diet,  no eating in between meals (only fruit if you have to), no caffeine or alcohol and at least 10,000 steps a day.
Already I have had to halve my antihypertensive medication.
I was really hungry in the first week but now I'm fine.
At 54yrs old and dieting at different times since I was at least 14yrs old (40yrs  :-))) this is the easiest I've ever done it.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 07:23:29 am »
great Michelle, doctors want me to loose another 5-10 kilos...

[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 07:28:30 am »
No caffeine or alcohol for 2 months, I could do the alcohol bit but my morning cup of coffee - I doubt it.  Good on you Michele, it sounds as if it's already doing you good.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 12:24:58 pm »
Mich that is great. Well done.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2014, 06:41:40 pm »
Wow Mitch, way to go!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2014, 06:48:54 pm »
Good going Michele ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:12 pm »
Fantastic Mich, sounds like you are going great. The plan sounds like a lifestyle rather than a diet. I would struggle with the coffee and alcohol all though these days I limit both of them. I'm sure you"ll be fantastic by December and will have formed some great habits.