Author Topic: Heart foundation  (Read 19719 times)

Offline lonnie

• View Profile
Re: Heart foundation
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 11:47:27 pm »
The Heart Foundation are now taking a survey of consumers regarding their Tick program:

http://survey.peoplepulse.com.au/display.php?mid=9850521c6bc56f623323

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 03:13:46 am »
I think the Heart Foundation is backed into a corner because they have based the last 50+ years of their direction on what is now being shown to be flawed research.

They can't very easily turn around and say we got it wrong there is nothing really wrong with fat in the diet. Also there is a whole food industry that makes a fortune on the low fat industry, they are not going to go down without a fight.

As for the whole paleo thing I am not convinced that it is the way to go either. We definitely eat too much processed food and should eat more fresh food, particularly plants. Fruit in season and in small quantities and lots of vegetables.

I think that the paleo diet elimination of grains and legumes is misguided, our paleolithic ancestor would have eaten grains and legumes, stored grains and dried legumes along with tuberous vegetables would have help get them through the long ice age winters. They would probably have eaten grains boiled whole and in limited quantities.

As for the elimination of dairy products for those of us that have developed the ability to digest lactose this is proof that we have evolved with our changing diets.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 03:34:43 am »
I agree with you about Paleo DD. I love my grains and lentils. All things in moderation and listen to your body.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 04:25:58 am »
Thanks INAID. I wasn't aware of all of this. Will be fascinating to see where this all goes.

I am interested in the paleo thing but I love grains and legumes ;D Apparently our modern grains are quite different to those of our ancestors, hence the many intolerances. I believe science has really "let the side down" with regard to food. The prevalence of food-like substances is a worry, as are the many "fresh" food imports. It takes some effort to buy fresh in season, local fruit and veg.
I do avoid processed foods and try and minimise gluten, eat mainly whole foods and conscientiously try and minimise sugar. I try and buy grass fed meat, grow our own veggies, minimise chemicals etc. Next step raising chickens and fermenting.

Way to go INAID  8) 8) 8) I am up to fermenting  ;D

“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 05:00:16 am »
Djinni I agree with you about the difficulty in buying fresh local in season produce, the big supermarkets in their effort to keep the market share import so much 'fresh' produce it is not funny.

Cherries in July, grapes on the shelf already, asparagus avaialble all year round etc etc. The only way ot go is to find a local farmets market and only buy what they have in season.  Unfortunately for some of us living in the country this is not always possible.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:15 am »
DD that is exactly how I feel.
Paleo sounds good until the elimination of grains.  I believe in eating like grandma did, preferably in season and lots of fresh produce locally grown.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 01:00:36 pm »
In season is usually better quality and better price.
I look at the peaches and nectarines brought in during winter, they are as hard as rocks and no one ever seems to buy them.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 01:12:12 pm »
Interesting comment, DD.

All the various diets and fads are too confusing! 😱😱😱

Offline JenJan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 01:13:35 am »
I'm a bit of a fan of the paleo diet because I've seen its benefits for a close family member who had gut issues and needed a gut healing diet. Our family was on a modified paleo diet for a couple of years with the help of a dietitian and now pretty much back to normal, though still much reduced wheat consumption. The health of the whole family improved while on it. I'm about to go back on it because after I started relaxing my own diet (and making bread for DH!!) I've developed arthritis nodules which I will do anything to reduce and the paleo diet is reputed to help reduce inflammation. I intend to see the dietitian again to help me forward.

I tend to think that it's a diet you go on when there's a good reason to do so. It's not a fad but a necessity for some.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 07:07:35 am »
Cookie I used normal table marg for cooking.  I do use raw sugar, and always reduced the amount used.
My cholesterol in 3.8 (brilliant) my DH is about 5.

We always use olive oil, and EVOO, nothing else. I get in in 4 litre tins..
MY DH heart problems is hereditary,  my cardiomyopthy was caused by a virus 12-15 years ago, not diet.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:22 am »
Thanks Robyn. Your cholesterol is great. Yes I realised cardiomyopathy was caused by a virus nothing else. I'm pleased you are on the mend. Very scarey for your DH to have hereditary heart problems, sadly many don't find out until it is too late.
Take care of yourself.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:22 am »
my DH father died at 49 from heart attack
DH brother has had heart bypass at 35, so its in the family.

mine is by a virus, so alot of people blame diet for no reason. :)

I have signed up for a remote device for my ICD, saves me worrying about anything..
amazing what doctors can do.... :) :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 11:43:31 am »
I am of the same opinion Re grains, dairy and legumes. But that is because we have no health issues. We eat no more than a loaf of bread a week though and I do try and limit wheat. Since I got rid of low fat foods and margarine and replaced with real fats, coconut milk/cream, butter etc the fat has fallen off me.

Here is another well researched article. http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/sugar-trap-heart-foundation-critics-say-tick-deals-with-nestle-uncle-tobys-mcdonalds-aldi-too-sweet-to-ignore/story-e6frfm1i-1226265842672

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:41 am »
Sorry to hear of your heart health problems Robyn.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:54 pm »
just did the survey. :)

INAID I will get better with rest.

[/url