Author Topic: Question re Chookie's (David Herbert) Recipe for Naan Bread  (Read 5902 times)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
Question re Chookie's (David Herbert) Recipe for Naan Bread
« on: December 12, 2014, 02:22:17 pm »
Hi all,

Indian restaurant naan breads are generally not golden looking all over, they are more whitish with burnt spots so that's what I'm trying to achieve. As such, I don't want to cook mine in the conventional (fan forced) oven, but will try the pizza maker or on the stove top. We don't have a BBQ.

For those who have made these using the pizza oven, how long have you cooked them for and was it with the lid open or closed?

Would appreciate any advice/tips from those that have made these before. I'm going to make these later today for dinner party tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
From Perth WA

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 05:46:05 pm »
We used the pizza maker with the lid down. .. can't remember for how long though. .. only a few minutes I think.  Using the pizza maker certainly gets the nice burnt bubbles you are talking about :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
Re: Question re Chookie's (David Herbert) Recipe for Naan Bread
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »
I've cooked them in the pizza maker with the lid down as well. As the dough rises up it hits the top element on the lid which I guessing causes the burnt bubble effect.

My dough actually caught fire doing this, so I'd be very careful if you do cook them this way (I probably wouldn't do it again as it was scary).
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 09:06:53 am »
Same as above with lid closed.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 06:21:26 pm »
Thanks everyone for your responses. Katie's, I had read about your fire on the other thread and that's what I am concerned about.
From Perth WA