Author Topic: Engrish  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Engrish
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:01:11 am »
This has got nothing whatsoever to do with Thermomix, but I just had to share this.

We have just discovered a wasp’s nest in our back garden so I was checking out various pest eradication services to get someone to come and destroy it for us.  One web site I was looking at (a very Australian site, not an overseas one) had the phrase “If you discover a wasp nest it is very tempting to eradicate yourself.” I had a good laugh at that (even the girl in their office laughed when I pointed it out to her – I hope they don’t change it!). 

One of the joys of travelling overseas is an appreciation of the unique and interesting use of the English language ... you don’t expect to have the same experience on an Australian site.  It cheered me up no end.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Engrish
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:18 am »
Well if you don't eradicate yourself the wasps certainly will give it a go Marina  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:09 am »
 :D :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:38:18 am »
Love it. You often see it here at markets for fresh fruit and Vegies. Also instruction manuals for overseas products. Panasonic used to be a good one, but that was in the early days.

Please don't eradicate yourself Marina.  ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 01:37:30 am »
Love it!
2 of my sons, one in Melb other here in Perth have a constant competition going on, they take pics of funny Engrish and send via text to each other. The $2 stores have an abundance of things as you could imagine.

Offline Katj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 02:00:56 am »
Cuilidh, we also had 2 wasp nests in shrubs in the yard. If you get wasp spray from W/worths or Bunnings, and wait till dusk before you spray (they become dormant at dusk) theft got rid of them, so we could remove the nests.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:17:19 am »
DH has problems with wasps and bees, so I deal with them. I do much the same as you Katj. Spray heck out of them and then take to them with a broom or something similar.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 02:51:29 am »
Our wasps nest is underground (in - what I assume to be - an old rabbit hole) right next to a lovely old pear tree so we have to get the experts in to ensure we remove everything without killing the tree.

For those lovers of Engrish there is a web site call engrish.com that is good fun to visit from time to time.  When we used to travel in China many, many years ago, the hotel rules were always the first thing we read when we arrived "... unsnary articles are not to be taken into rooms ...", "... you are not to up yourself in your room ..." etc.  Hotel owners must have wondered why the Westerners always stole their list of hotel rules!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:22 am »
European wasp, for a  nest in the ground wait until dark cover your torch with red cellophane and then spray the nest with lots of powder you can get from Bunnings, don't do it during the day as they get very angry., I had them in the cavity of the house walls and My daughter had a ground nest that we got rid off.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:24 am »
Marina, I don't like wasps. We usually find a nest in our stone walls. We spray them will some horrid stuff and the poke an old towel in the hole so they can't get out. Love the funny translations into English.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:54 am »
LOL love it Marina. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.