Author Topic: Meal Planning Thread  (Read 145026 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Meal Planning Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »
no i don;t, i don;t have the brain power to actaully work out how to use any of them lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:51 am »
I have a list started somewhere around shopping basics in each aisle like Chelsea but that's as far as I got!  I need to get more organised.

Actually what I need to do is clean out my pantry and use what's in there.  Maybe that's a starting point for my meal plan, aim to have at least 2 meals out of already stocked pantry items. 

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 04:37:14 am »
3 days to do your shopping Chelsea  :o :o :o :o You must feel as though you spend 1/3 of your life in shops.  Can understand it not being easy shopping with children - I know DD leaves hers home with her DH and goes shopping at night.
I used to do our shopping at night when my youngest was a newborn (leaving him with DH).  I loved the freedom of heading out childless and would spend ages wandering around. The shops that I go to now are in three different towns/cities so we combine the shopping with playgroup, visiting friends etc so it is not a special trip.  I hate giving my money to the big supermarket chains and try to support the smaller businesses and markets - but it is often a lot more trekking around.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 05:25:08 am »
I have a list started somewhere around shopping basics in each aisle like Chelsea but that's as far as I got!  I need to get more organised.

Actually what I need to do is clean out my pantry and use what's in there.  Maybe that's a starting point for my meal plan, aim to have at least 2 meals out of already stocked pantry items. 

That's what I need to do too!  :o :o  I have had a couple of "shops" at the local Asian and Indian shops and found things that I thought- "I'd like to try making something with that....." and never did.  So, I need to have a day when nobody else is around to clean out the pantry and re-organise it.

The freezer is needing the same treatment.  Lots of bits left over from "experiments", but never get them out in the morning to defrost for dinner.  :-)) :-))
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 05:50:05 am »
I always plan my weekly menu, so veges don't rot in the fridge because I forget they're there! :P  I get an organic vege box on Fridays from a local community garden, buy meat bulk (local, chemical free), buy nuts, grains, seeds, dried fruit bulk a few times a year... so my freezer always needs checking before planning to make sure things are being used, and not forgotten.

I'm trying to work on having more protein at breakfast and lunch, and more carbohydrates at dinner, (as protein gives you energy and wakes you up, while carbohydrates make you sleepy - see Cyndi's book). I really notice this when homeschooling my kids - the last thing I want is sleepy, floppy kids  :-[ who can't concentrate on their work in the mornings, then wake up and go balistic at night  :o when you're trying to get them to bed! So for breakfast we've been having things like fruit or fruit & nut smoothies, and...

- mince (beef/turkey) in white sauce gravy (dairy free) on spelt toast;

- poached eggs and mince patties with toast;

- porridge with fruit and finely chopped nuts;

- boiled eggs chopped up in a white sauce (dairy free) on spelt scones;

- bean & vege patties;

- scrambled eggs on toast;

- wholegrain pancakes with pecans and apple sauce/pure maple syrup (I only have one or two with syrup - too sweet!) ...

This kind of breakfast keeps you going for a while, and gives you heaps more energy.  :D  (Note: I don't completely cut out protein at night or my husband would miss out on meat meals - I'm just cutting down on the meat and adding more carbs at night.)

Monday: (lunch) Meatball & bean & vegetable soup (TMX); (dinner) Vegetable curry (TMX) on brown rice.

Tuesday: (lunch) Stir Fry veges & beans (TMX) with quinoa (TMX); (dinner) Marinated chicken wings (crockpot) with basmati rice and leftover stir fry veges (for the family - I'll be at a TMX demo).

Wednesday: (lunch) Scalloped eggs with broccoli (TMX); (dinner) Salmon patties (TMX), mashed potatoes (sweet & regular) (TMX), lots of steamed veges (TMX).

Thursday: (lunch) Savoury lentils (TMX) on rice (TMX) with raw vege sticks; (dinner) Crumbed steak, baked potatoes, steamed veges (TMX).

Friday: (lunch) Chilli Taco Salad (dairy free version); (dinner) Creamy vegetable soup (TMX) (dairy free).

Saturday: out for lunch (demo, kids at G'mas); (dinner) Potato wedges, dairy-free 'sour cream', mackeral patties & veges.

Sunday: (lunch) Roast chicken & baked veges; (dinner) Soup (TMX) & spelt bread rolls (TMX).

Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 01:36:39 pm »
First 2 planned meals went to plan so here are my next 2.

Wed - Apricot chicken, mashed potato, steamed vegies
Thurs - Thai pork and corn cakes/dipping sauce & salad

Both recipes I found in DD's recipe books whilst down there today and figured would be easy enough to convert. Will post if they turn out OK.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 02:04:25 pm »
Karen, do you have any suggested menu planning program - I did down load quirkycooking program but tbh it seems too detailed for what I want. Thanks

My sincere apologies Jo! I was a little confused and this should have been Aunt Annies (I think) AFA program that she posted the link too.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 01:53:50 pm »
 ;D  I was thinking - Jo has a menu program now too?!

I menu plan every single week.  I post the menus on this blog: http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Monday - zucchini slice (TM - but baked in the oven), mashed potato (TM), green salad
Tuesday - home late - mexe-bake in slow cooker (sauce in TM), green salad, avocado
Wednesday - home late - creamy mushroom fettucine (TM), steamed vegies
Thursday - Cyndi's vegetable stew (TM), garlic rice (TM), corn on the cob, custard (TM) & strawberries
Friday - TM fried rice (steamed not fried, with egg), tuna
Saturday - pumpkin soup (TM), Cyndi's herb bread (TM and then baked)
Sunday - out - work dinner

Other cooking and bakin
g - all in the Thermomix, spread through the week - Cyndi's Date Loaf, rice flour, rice & almond milk, cashew 'sour cream', salted butter, unsalted butter, 2 different dips and pesto, custard, yoghurt, mascarpone cheese, mayo, pasta sauce. And mountain bread chips under the grill (for the dips)! The girls might also do more sweet baking if they wish - Thermomix muffins are the latest...
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 11:10:05 pm »
i don't think i've stuck to mine for a single meal so far this week  8)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 12:27:03 am »
No planned meals here until next Monday.  DH is away so we eat soup or easy stuff.  Might even take the girlies out one night for tea. 

I start a new permanent part time job next week so TMX is perfect timing in our house.  I'll need to get serious with meal plans now once my roster is sorted.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 11:23:19 am »
i don't think i've stuck to mine for a single meal so far this week  8)

Don't worry, I usually have a few changes during the week, like today I was late home for lunch, so instead of taco salad, I just made hamburger patties out of the mince, and chucked salad and bread on the table and we made our own hamburger sandwiches.  Menu planning is like everything else - you've got to reach for the stars... you might not get them, but you won't end up with a handful of mud either!  ;)   (How's that for poetic!)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 11:49:43 am »
hehe beautiful!
My Cooking Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »
Saturday - Chermoula chicken, rice and steamed vegies
Sunday = soup and pizza
Monday - pumpkin, feta & zucchini quiche with salad
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
Pffft my plan to try and start a menu plan fell in a whole pile of mud (not a handful Jo lol) ...
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 05:12:15 am »
menu plans please all, i need inspiriration
My Cooking Blog