Author Topic: Meal Planning Thread  (Read 145774 times)

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
Re: Meal Planning Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 03:08:37 pm »
Wow, that is so technical!

I have a piece of paper I print out - it's a Word document with spaces for all the family's outings and commitments for the week written in to each space.  It looks a bit like this:
Monday
Food Prep (defrost something, buy something...?)
What's On

Dinner (main meal)
Cook (who's turn)
Night (what's on)

... and so on for all the days of the week, with Baking and Other Notes at the end.  It's 2 columns.

So I print off my piece of paper, write in our commitments, think about the food we've got at hand and start planning.  I write in easy meals for when we're home late, and more time-consuming ones for at-home days.  Once I've written in a few basics, I look up recipes which use up the ingredients we have.  I have a shopping list beside me to write down anything extra I need to buy.  Next to the meal, I write a code for where to find the recipe - F for folder, E for Everyday Cookbook, etc.  I also write the page number.

We swap meals, or if we miss one it's moved to early the next week (to use up the ingredients).

This method has worked for our family of 8 (plus visitors) for years.  I couldn't NOT menu plan, it's so vital to the way I shop and spend my day.  Having to choose a meal at the end of the day would just be too stressful around here!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:27:03 pm by mama_bel »
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 03:12:02 pm »
umm can someone point me in the right direction please. have done a search for aunt annies and not getting anything that resembles a meal planner!
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2009, 06:18:47 am »
This is our Menu Plan this week (Tuesday-Monday):

Main meals:
Tues - Pork Mignon with mustard sauce, mash and steamed beans (TMX).
Wed - Chicken & pear risotto (TMX)
Thurs - Soup entree & Leftovers main
Fri - Pizza (TMX dough and sauce) - margarita and supreme
Sat - Veggie lasagne (TMX)
Sun - Leftover lasagne with garlic loaf (TMX)
Mon - Chilli con carne (TMX)

Desserts:
Amanda's fudge brownies (TMX) - in oven now  ;D
Bron's yummy apple crumble (TMX)
Icecream of some description (TMX)

Lunches:
Fruit loaf x 2 days (breadmaker)
Bible bread toast and eggs (TMX)
Fruit and custard (TMX)
Filled spelt wraps (TMX)
Turkish bread & herb and garlic dip (x 2 days) (TMX)

Extras:
Oatmeal sultana cookies (TMX)
Fudgy wudgy cookies (with Bel's modifications) (TMX)
Rice crackers (TMX)
(and whatever other sweet treats appear on the forum this week ;D)

I normally stick to about half of my planned meals each week.

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2009, 07:12:09 am »
WOW Chelsea - you are organised! 

My meal plan has gone out the window this week due to DH being away.

Moroccan Lamb was last nights - I did make it for myself and there'll be enough left over for tonight rounded out with some vegies. 

DH will be away for the rest of the week.

One night will be pizza pockets, one will be soup and then Saturday night is TMX demo so that's covered lol.

Mum's birthday on Sunday so lunch will be

Lemon and Garlic Salt crusted Chicken Drumsticks with mash (TMX) and roasted veg.
Yummy Apple Crumble and Custard (TMX)
and birthday cake - probably sponge of some description with whipped cream in TMX

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 07:57:52 am »
i didn't do one this week. am over being sick but makes me just not care about food (not eating it, still doing too much of that, just planning it lol)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 08:46:36 am »
Hi quirkycooking, are you able to provide the Green chicken cashew curry recipe?  I've had  a look on your blog and wasn't able to see it there either and it sounds like it would be lovely.
Thanks

Here it is! http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/2009/02/baked-chicken-with-cashew-satay-sauce.html  I changed the title, because this time it didn't turn out green - I didn't have enough herbs!!! :P  But you can make it as green as you like.  It is SOOO yummy!  (In the photo I mixed the stir-fried veges in with the sauce and chicken pieces - there's a few different variations.)
Wow, that is so technical!

I have a piece of paper I print out - it's a Word document with spaces for all the family's outings and commitments for the week written in to each space.  It looks a bit like this:
Monday
Food Prep (defrost something, buy something...?)
What's On

Dinner (main meal)
Cook (who's turn)
Night (what's on)

... and so on for all the days of the week, with Baking and Other Notes at the end.  It's 2 columns.

So I print off my piece of paper, write in our commitments, think about the food we've got at hand and start planning.  I write in easy meals for when we're home late, and more time-consuming ones for at-home days.  Once I've written in a few basics, I look up recipes which use up the ingredients we have.  I have a shopping list beside me to write down anything extra I need to buy.  Next to the meal, I write a code for where to find the recipe - F for folder, E for Everyday Cookbook, etc.  I also write the page number.

We swap meals, or if we miss one it's moved to early the next week (to use up the ingredients).

This method has worked for our family of 8 (plus visitors) for years.  I couldn't NOT menu plan, it's so vital to the way I shop and spend my day.  Having to choose a meal at the end of the day would just be too stressful around here!

I like your method, Bel!  Think I'll try it!  (This woman is an amazing organizer!)

I sometimes swap meals around, especially if the timings don't work out or I forget to thaw the meat out. Or, as today, I have too many leftovers and don't need to cook!  Yay!  Actually, I'm going to cook anyway, as I have a demo tomorrow and need to prepare tomorrow's lunch tonight.  (My DH is working night shift, so has a main meal at lunch.)  But at least I'm ahead because dinner's in the fridge for tonight!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:03 am »
jo, twas only last night i was wondering about using cashews for satay and voila, there it was!~!! thank you so much! (you have no idea how many of your posts i have bookmarked in my blog reader LOL)
My Cooking Blog

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 09:01:03 am »
jo, twas only last night i was wondering about using cashews for satay and voila, there it was!~!! thank you so much! (you have no idea how many of your posts i have bookmarked in my blog reader LOL)

Thanks Brazen!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 09:41:38 am »
Just checked out your blog Jo - loved the look of the 'fried' rice meal and the amount it makes.  Hope Kathryn has seen that for her brood of big eaters.  On my growing list of things to do.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
Just checked out your blog Jo - loved the look of the 'fried' rice meal and the amount it makes.  Hope Kathryn has seen that for her brood of big eaters.  On my growing list of things to do.

Yes, that's a good one for big families!  My group leader Nancy taught me that one.  I just pack the Varoma full of veges so it makes heaps!  You can also leave the meat out, and stir tinned tuna in at the end instead - forgot to mention that.

I just made the Russian Salad from the Varoma cookbook - that makes heaps too, especially as you can almost double the recipe and it will all still fit in the Varoma!  (I used more veges and 5 eggs - got enough left over for tomorrow! Yay!)  Used nearly a whole batch of mayonnaise in it, as I like it nice and moist.  So that's another good one for big families.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2009, 12:26:26 pm »
Thanks for sharing - great work
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 02:13:13 pm »
Jo, I've emailed you the Word doc to alter and use for your family. :)

Chelsea - wow!  What a list!  I often have a meal left over most weeks, and move it to next week (usually early in the week to use up the ingredients).  A lot of my 'extras' are left over too.  I would love a whole day in the kitchen with the thermomix, to trial things and get stuff made up, but that won't happen around here for awhile...

I wish I could use the tmx at night, but everyone's trying to sleep and the bedrooms are all quite close to the kitchen.  They complain, sigh.  Do you think I could clean off the table in the shed and... nah! :p
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 03:01:47 pm »
That is the only disadvantage of the TMX Mama Bel - I don't have children to consider but DH is in bed by 8pm watching TV and I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate that sort of noise at night time.  If I want a cocktail made in the TMX at night, I have to make sure I make it before I get him into bed.  I can't even use the microwave at night as it interferes with his TV which makes a dreadful noise.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 11:20:45 pm »
i'm the same in the mornings - would love to put on a loaf of bread when i first get up, but don't want to wake anyone!
My Cooking Blog