Author Topic: Adelaide storm  (Read 3811 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Adelaide storm
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:44:09 pm »
Hi Adelaide members. I saw on the news that you had a nasty storm and high winds. I do hope you all came through it unscathed and that your power is still on. I just read that 35000 people had no power.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide storm
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »
I was so tired after days of excess heat Cookie that because last night was the first night it was cooler, I slept like a log.  We don't seem to have storm problems where I live and I was completely unaware of what had happened until 3pm this afternoon when I watched the news on TV when I visited Geoff.  I rarely turn the radio on in the morning and it was calm here when I woke so I really had no idea so much damage was done throughout Adelaide.  I hope our hills dwellers are OK, I'm not even sure where the power cuts are.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 01:14:08 pm »
We are not having a pleasant summer here. Adelaide residents have endured their 10th 40-degree day this summer, with the city reaching 44.7 degrees last Sunday , our sixth hottest day on record. We are pleased to finally have a change, but it was really windy last night in some areas, bringing down power lines and trees. We are fortunate that it was not too bad at our house and we have not lost power or any trees..My tomatoes took a battering, one of my zucchini plants may not survive and my poor lemon tree has a definite lean to it. The garden is not looking its best and could really do with some rain. The forecast for the rest of the week is for warmer weather climbing to 40 again by Saturday. Sigh.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:02:07 am »
ES I really feel for you from the bottom of my heart. We've had a few 40's but nothing like you. It is now consistently 35+ day after day. While horrid and hot it is nothing like over 40. We have more of it coming so I hope it cools as it goes over the Nullabor not heats up.
It is so upsetting when the garden burns as you can't do much about it.
Take care.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 01:48:28 am »
The storms hit some places in the Hills pretty bad - some people are still without power 2 days later - but thankfully we suffered nothing worse at our place than a few branches down and some battered roses in the garden.  As the others have said, it was a welcome relief from this persistent hot weather we have been having  :P

I would hate to be without power for 2 days.  Imagine the waste of all that food in the fridge and freezer if you  couldnt work out some alternative storage, or give it away to others.  Since our house is on rainwater with an electric pump, when we have a blackout we have no water either.  I think that is almost harder to deal with than no electricity.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:12:08 am »
I'm glad there was no major damage to forum folks. I have looked at Poh's instagram s and she posted trees down etc. I'm not sure where she lives in Adelaide.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 08:51:49 am »
We were without power for 15 hours.  Just thankful that it came back when it did because just down the road they are still without it.  Lots of trees down or branches off but thankfully no houses around here seem to have been hit. I was with a friend today who doesn't live too far from me and she was telling us about her neighbors gazebo blowing over the fence into a pool!!!!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:13 am »
Nice to know you survived the storm Trudy.The West of the UK took a battering last night. :-\
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:03:52 am »
Glad everyone is ok and hoping the cooler weather stays around for a while. Trudy, 15 hours is a long time. Was your freezer/fridge food ok?

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:23 am »
I was the same as you Trudy didn't even know about the storm until the radio the next morning.  Talking to some people at work today it has caused some problems & hopefully they will have all the power restored tonight.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 09:42:19 am »
I was fine here, but many of my friends in the next suburbs on from me were without power for most of the day & into the evening. Lots of other friends had trouble driving to work due to fallen trees.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 09:00:06 am »
Yes, I was surprised how well everything kept cold.  All that had started to soften was the icecream so very lucky!!!