Author Topic: Please help with chopping vegetables  (Read 16528 times)

Offline vmc513

• View Profile
Please help with chopping vegetables
« on: January 25, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »
Hi all, I have just received my tm and tonight made shepards pie.  My husband complained that it was like eating baby food.  I followed the recipe for savoury mince from the thermomix forum. It was delicious but the mince was very fine, and we could only see the peas and carrots.  It is great recipe for hiding vegetables from children.

Does anyone have any tips on how not to mince the vegetables too finely. I used reverse with the soft spoon speed for cooking. Any advise would be appreciated.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with chopping vegetables
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 01:30:07 pm »
Bought mince is very fine vmc513, I rarely cook mince in the TMX.  I am going to try this recipe one day though as it does look nice and chunky.

With vegies, eg onion - I only ever chop for 2 seconds/speed 5.  Chopping carrots will take a little longer but if you start off with 2 secs/speed 5 then check, you might just have to repeat this once or just add another second. Until you get used to the machine and how powerful it is, perhaps just chop each vegie individually and set aside until you need to add them all back into the bowl. 

It's a learning curve, all my first recipes were mush ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:10:16 pm »
Usually I chop on 5, and I would stop at least 2 secs before recommended time to check. I like my stufff fairly chunky, and would then prob do 1 sec speed 5 stirring with a spatula until happy. Under chopping is preferable to over chopping in the end result. You can always pick out the big chunks and chop with knife  or remove all but big chunks and give another chop in TM sec by sec. For chopping mince maybe semi freeze and just chop on a speed until you are happy with consistency. Again, I like mince a little chunky rather than really finely minced.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline vmc513

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:00 pm »
Thanks judydawn and creampuff63 will def try your suggestions. I know it is a new way of cooking. Have to say DH loved the EDC mashed potatoes : )

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:41:43 am »
Vmc51, I never cook bought mince in the TMX as it's too fine for us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:03:42 am »
I prefer chopping some veggies by hand  to get a consistent and even cut.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:50:50 am »
I chop on speed 5 things line onion, garlic, celery, carrot and zucchini. I prefer to hand chop capsicum. My first meals were mush too. Takes time to get it right. Remember less is best. You can always put it on for another second or two.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:06 am »
I've cooked mince by the method Judy suggested & it worked well

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:40:54 am »
I must try the new method. At the moment I don't cook bought mince in the thermomix, too mushy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline vmc513

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 02:15:53 am »
Thanks everyone. Loving my TMX. It's all a learning curve. The meal was delicious. I will look at making my own mince though.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 03:44:35 am »
I chop on Speed 5 also, and stop a couple of seconds before recipe says to just to scrape the sides of the bowl and check. If all the veges are more or less chopped as you want them but you have a couple of big chunks, to prevent mush its best to remove all the veges from the jug and just rechop the big chunks separately or chop by hand.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 09:26:28 am »
I used to find chopping carrots difficult, and always had a mixture of finely chopped and big chunks. Now I put roughly chopped pieces in the bowl and chop on speed 4 for about 6 or 8 seconds until it is all chopped to about the same size, then just give it a second or two on speed 5 to get it smaller.

Sue  :)
Beauty is only fur deep.....