Author Topic: Help needed with temperature of cooked salad dressing recipe  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Help needed with temperature of cooked salad dressing recipe
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:37:43 pm »
My Mum has always used a cooked  dressing for her very basic potato salad, it's family favourite although I've never tried making it myself. I'm planning on having a first try of making it today but interested if the experts can help me on the temperature for cooking the mixture.

The recipe is:
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
Pepper
Salt
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 dessertspoon curry powder
1/2 cup brown vinegar
1 cup milk

Mix all ingredients together  & stir while bringing to boil then simmer 10 mins stirring occasionally. chill

Thanks in advance

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Re: Help needed with temperature of cooked salad dressing recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 10:20:46 pm »
Is this any help.
It is MJ's cooked mayo, I put it in hampers last year..

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=5046.0

I think it is worth reading the thread as I think there is extra info and I think I cooked it longer than it originally stated, it was a hit.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:43:29 pm »
thanks DJ, not sure why I didn't think of that one I've even made it myself thinking it might have been similar to my Mum's. I'll use that as my guideline.

mcmich

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 04:33:15 am »
Wonder, I'm going to try the dressing for pasta salad for Australia Day BBQ. It sounds lovely. Would be interested in how it works out for you.  :D
Thanks DJ for the link.  :D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:15 am »
Because it's cooked, does it have a longer shelf (fridge?) life than normal mayo?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:26:46 am »
I guess it would have Marina but don't know sorry.

I made this tonight using Megan's recipe as a guide. I put everything in together then ended up mixing for 30 secs on speed 4 - you need to make sure the egg is well mixed in. Then cooked for 10 mins at 90 degrees speed 3 and then another 10 mins at 60 degrees speed 2. I left the cup out of the lid for the last 10 mins. This turned out exactly as my mums always has so I was very pleased. It's not a thick dressing nor is it like a mayonnaise - more like a gravy if that makes sense, used to pour over salad rather than mixed in.

We have always had this with a potato salad made of boiled and then chopped potatoes and while the potatoes Re warm we add salt and pepper then pour over around 3-4 tablespoons of brown vinegar then add a finely sliced small brown onion and the pour over about 25grms melted butter and half bunch chopped parsley.  I've never had the potato salad or dressing anywhere else and Mum can't remmeber where she got the recipe from.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
Sounds like a great dish wonder. Is it a warm potato salad or do you serve it cold?
I would like to make a warm potato salad, but the dressings I have used always split in the oven. Maybe your dressing would work.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:48:04 pm »
Because it's cooked, does it have a longer shelf (fridge?) life than normal mayo?

I think the thread maybe has something about dates in there.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:24:35 pm »
It's not a cooked potato salad Kimmy, my Mum has always cooked the dressing early in the day and left to chill and then cooked the potatos and put the salad together just as we are ready to eat so they are still warm. On days where she has made it in advance my Dad warms up his plate of salad but then puts the cold dressing over it  :-\. when i was checking the reicpe yesterday he was yelling from the background that it had to be served warm  ;D

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:39:45 am »
Thanks wonder. Tell dad I'll make sure I serve it warm 😊

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 02:32:03 pm »
Here's the notes I have on my recipe:

Mix on speed 4 for 1 minute. Measure 410g milk and 230g vinegar. Cook on 90/25 minutes/ speed 3 -4

I'll amend my original recipe. This isn't very thick. I guess you could make it thicker by adding more flour.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 07:36:24 pm »
Megan, don't amend your recipe because of mine. I've made yours and it's very different to this one, both nice but yours to me was more like a mayonnaise whereas this is a bit more like a light curry sauce for salad  ;D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:13 pm »
I checked my original post and had already amended it anyway! It's delicious, our family's favourite!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand