Author Topic: Ideas for shopping in Hong Kong and Singapore?  (Read 3406 times)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
Ideas for shopping in Hong Kong and Singapore?
« on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:47 am »
We've booked a trip to Hong Kong and Singapore in January. 😄 I'm pretty excited because its my first time in both countries!

I know many of you have been to one or both these countries several times so I thought I would ask the experts where are the best places to shop?  I love kitchenware, shoes, clothes for me or the kids, jewellery etc

Do you have any cant miss stores?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for shopping in Hong Kong and Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 06:58:09 am »
The ones I love in Singapore are mainly in Orchard Road. Ion orchard is a whole shopping complex. Takashimaya is wonderful. In face most of the big department stores are fun.
Shopping centres out of Orchard road I love are Marina Bay Sands, Vivocity, there are a couple of others, ill ask DD when she gets home.
The zoo is worth a visit, as is the Bird Park and the Night Zoo. I'm sure you'll have no trouble being kept busy.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:53:55 am »
Both are a shoppers paradise.  When you are shopping in Hong Kong remember it is very much a case of "buyer beware".  There are a lot of 'knock off' copies there that look like the real thing so you take your chances.  Generally the big department stores are OK, though ... and there are plenty of them!  Best bet, just wade in, have a great time and be careful ... if you buy something electrical it may not have some cables with it, check that it works on Australian currents, etc. .. a camera - check that everything is there, etc. etc. etc.  All just common sense, really ... and don't forget to watch when / if it gets packed away that nothing 'disappears' from the packaging once you have agreed on a price.

Have a great trip and you'll have a ball - be warned, though, it will be humid cold in Hong Kong at that time of year so take some warm clothes with you.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:00:37 am »
I'm going to Singapore & Malaysia in January, so I'm interested in this thread too :)
I've never travelled overseas, so I'm a bit nervous, but would definitely need to know where to shop!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:30 am »
I Love Hong Kong shopping, but it was too long ago when I went.

Have fun
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 02:15:42 am »
SoBlessed you will love Singapore. I feel so much safer there than here in Perth. There are more people out at 11pm than 9am.  The people are ever so friendly and are there to help you. At first I found it a little daunting that they stood with you when you were looking round but I soon became used to it. 
I haven't been to Malaysia.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline SoBlessed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 06:54:52 am »
Thanks Cookie. Feeling safe will certainly be a bonus :) Hopefully Malaysia will be similar.