Author Topic: Big decision - to buy or not to buy  (Read 26069 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Big decision - to buy or not to buy
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 07:34:47 am »
woohoo!!!! happy waiting!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 05:35:01 pm »
Yee haa - welcome to the family, Wonder.  You won't regret it.  My only real tips to a beginner would be - use the book and this forum and follow the recipes faithfully for the first couple of weeks, while you get a 'feel' for it.  Be a bit adventurous and try out the different things it can do (it's fun, apart from anything else).  Once you've got a pretty good feel for how it thinks and works, start to convert your favourite recipes.  Begin by finding a recipe for a similar type of thing on the book / this forum, and use it as a foundation to help you think through how to adapt your non-thermomix recipe.  Soon you'll be doing it standing on your head.

Oh yes, one other tip.  When using the recipes, read it all the way through before beginning (don't ask me how I know this is a good idea  :-[ ).  I also found it helpful, for the first couple, to highlight the speed / temperature / time so I didn't overlook it (but then, I'm contsitutionally unable to read a recipe properly, and overlook critical things).  Come to think of it, isn't that pretty much already done in the Ozzie TMX book?  Seem to think that it is, and that it's where I got the idea from in the first place (haven't used it in quite a while, so can't remember).

But most of all - have fun and enjoy!
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 06:17:18 pm »
It's quite understandable that you will begin to question your sanity spending so much money on one piece of kit, but I'm 150% confident that you will find that you won't regret it for one minute and will rejoice in your bravery in making the decision to get one.

One tip I would give is to select a few things that you want to try to do first and, as everyone else has said, read the instructions thoroughly before going ahead.   It's not guaranteed to go totally smoothly the first time and it will take a wee while to get used to the machine and how it works, but it's well worth perservering and it won't be long before you'll wonder how you ever existed before you got the TMX.

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 11:42:47 pm »

It's not guaranteed to go totally smoothly the first time and it will take a wee while to get used to the machine and how it works, but it's well worth perservering and it won't be long before you'll wonder how you ever existed before you got the TMX.

One week on from takling delivery of my TMX, I am already wondering how I managed before.  Have had healthy food every day since and Yesterday I had to go and buy food form the cafe next door (left my lovely beetroot sald and tuna on the kitchen table as I headed off for work  :'( )  and could not beleive how bland and oily and horrible the soup was.  Ahhhh becoming very fussy already.

Karen

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2009, 01:42:35 pm »
Wonderful news sianon!!! It makes a huge difference doesn't it?
I recently had soup at a cafe while I was out and about and left most of it behind - yuk  :P  Give me thermie soup anyday!!
Oh we do become a fussy lot  ;D ;)
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 01:30:12 am »
Welcome Wonder, you won't regret it, neither will the family! My DDs of 12 and 14 cook rice, chicken wings, waffles, mashed potato, sautéed potatoes and icecream, hot chocolate all on their own. They love it too! 
When you get it, just cook and cook and cook. And truthfully you will see how you weekly shopping bill goes down, and how many more healthier ingredients go into your trolley. I have been on a diet for 6 weeks and have lost 6 kilos, thanks to THX.
You are investing in your family's health, nothing can surely be better than that! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2009, 05:10:13 am »
Well delivery of the TMX was last Thursday and so far we have made quite a few things including:
- Loads of orange juice
- Apple juic
- Blood orange sorbet
- Chocolate mousse (didn't set but the kids are still enjoying it)
- Hollandaise sauce
- Plain and lemon custard
- Lemon butter
- white and brown rice
- Banana cake

We've had a really busy weekend and I'm also battling a bad cold so haven't been able to do as much as I would have liked but so far so good, and the kids are enjoying playing around with it.

Reading through many of the posts I find it amazing how much some of you are able to whip up in a short amount of time, I'm finding it pretty fidely to get all the ingredients out of the jug, particularly with things like the cake mixture and think the kitchenaid would be much quicker but that just might be us getting used to it a bit more, and also finding it takes longer to clean than I expected, so all in all things are taking me longer to make.  Any tips on cleaning and bowl scrapping would be appreciated.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:46 am »
Scraping it out - look at finding a softer spatula - like Tupperware.  They get down and around the base better.

Then with the lid back on, set to closed lid  *: & hit Turbo button a couple of times to get rest off blades and scrape out again.

Bread - tip upside down and most of the dough sticks together and falls out.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2009, 05:24:50 am »
re scraping - get a tupperware spatula or similar silicone one - for scraping out they beat the tmx ones hands down. (do NOT use it in the machine while it's on for things like sorbets and salads lol)

cleaning, i've discovered just last week the machine cleans itself better with less water at a higher speed. i'm positive the book says half full at speed 6 but i now do just over the blade top on speed 8 and it works much better!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 08:55:48 am »
funny you should say that Karen, as I have been playing with exactly that today after reading the discussion somewhere else on the boards about the amount of water. I agree that enough water to cover the blades and speed 8 is the best way to go. Even for cleaning the lid on turbo it works better!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2009, 09:50:04 am »
Speed 8 and then reverse  :-: & speed 8 for optimum results
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2009, 09:58:00 am »
Speaking of the turbo button - today when I made the lemon yoghurt cake it said to mix the flour etc using the turbo button. Mine didn't work so I just did it on speed 7 and thought I must find out why it isn't working.  I don't think I have ever used it.  Of course I forgot about it until I read it here so off I go and check the manual, only to find the different ways of using it. Page 33 if anyone else needs to know how it works.   Phew, thought it was broken. :P :P :P  Maybe, now I know my machine  :-)) :-)) I should take my manual to bed with me one night and give myself a refresher course.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 10:08:02 am »
LOL I know how you feel JD. I like the new manual. I was having a look at my customers the other day and it is much better set out now  :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »
Speaking of the turbo button - today when I made the lemon yoghurt cake it said to mix the flour etc using the turbo button. Mine didn't work so I just did it on speed 7 and thought I must find out why it isn't working.  I don't think I have ever used it.  Of course I forgot about it until I read it here so off I go and check the manual, only to find the different ways of using it. Page 33 if anyone else needs to know how it works.   Phew, thought it was broken. :P :P :P  Maybe, now I know my machine  :-)) :-)) I should take my manual to bed with me one night and give myself a refresher course.

Did you remember to put it into  *: mode?  Turbo will only work when it is in closed lid mode & also when it is not too hot.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2009, 01:36:47 pm »

Hi JD,
For the Turbo button and the Kneading function to work the dial needs to be set at the lid lock position.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog