Author Topic: Risotto anyone?  (Read 18443 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
Re: Risotto anyone?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 07:14:33 am »
brazen, out of interest in what way was it different?

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 08:02:23 am »
much more liquid and the rice remained individual grains rather than stuck together.
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 08:49:48 am »
when making risotto can wine be substituted with anything else.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 08:56:40 am »
apple juice, apple cider, stock
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline sianon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 09:17:39 am »
Thanks for that Brazen

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
brazen....when i make that rissotto at demos it sits in the thermoserver for probalby 10mins....that way it is less liquidy by the time you come to serve it

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:36 pm »
yes, i think i left ours in the thermomix bowl for at least 5 minutes if not more. it was very nice, just so different lol
My Cooking Blog

Offline MelissaS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 04:56:28 pm »
Thank you all for all your help, I made my first (and second) risotto!

I used baf's basic recipe, but adjusted based on some of the comments to 420g of the rice and 1100 water. I also used the regular blades as opposed to the butterfly.  I found I needed to cook it for longer than the 16 minutes, 18 seemed to do the trick, but it was absolutely wonderful. I did have a funny moment where it started to boil over - popping out the top of the TM and sending little bits of boiling risotto over my counter, but I quickly reduced the temp to 90 and stirred to bring it down. It was so delicious, and much easier than the way I usually make it by hand, which involves stirring and stirring and stirring...

Emboldened by that success, I made a seafood risotto the next night: same basic recipe, but I used fish stock instead of bouillon and shrimp, scallops and crab instead of mushroom. I put in the raw seafood for the last 7 minutes of cooking, since the seafood cooks quickly. It was out of this world. Only change I will make next time is to season a little more strongly with S&P (my fish stock was flavorful, but very delicate and did not have the salt content of the bouillon usually used) and to put in the seafood a little later. No more than 5 minutes are needed with the small pieces I added. I sprinkled a little crab on the top as garnish and it was a huge hit.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 04:04:04 am »
Oh the trick to it not boiling over/spitting everywhere is to remove the measuring cup from the top and put the basket there instead... don't know why it works.. but it does! :)

Glad you've had some successes already!  ;)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 06:14:00 am »
my beleif in the reason it works is having the basket there actually allows heat and steam to be released with no preasure but when you have the MC in place the outlet is greatly reduced therby maintaing a hot environment with no easy release.

A bit like when you cook pasta on the stove. If you leave the lid on the pot will usually boil over but whent he lid is off it just bubbles away merrily.

bubblingly yours,

Spanner
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 06:44:20 am »
I think that a lot of the recipes have been written to make it very simple, but nobody would have risotto on top of the stove boiling flat out all thru cooking, so why not turn it down to 80 or 90 after the initial heat up period?  harder to write the recipe, but that's what they say when cooking stews/casseroles on the stove - bring to boil then simmer gently....simmer is 80 or 90.

The basket sometimes is not enough - when cooking things like jams/pastes (quince), you need to have varoma temp to reduce the contents and if it really bubbles along then it goes straight thru the cracks in the basket - need extra protection like towels over the top then.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.