Author Topic: Cacao, Cocoa and Crio Bru  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Cacao, Cocoa and Crio Bru
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:16:48 pm »
Hi all, we have started using Crio Bru in some recipes and I've also been reading about cacao beans, nibs and powder and wondering if they are all similar. I've tried looking on line and while I think the difference between cacao and cocoa is the treatment and additives in the cocoa powder, I can't decipher the difference between Crio Bru and Cacao nibs/beans. Any ideas?

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Cacao, Cocoa and Crio Bru
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:38:01 pm »
I am interested in the answer to this one as well - I have never been sure of what the differences are.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 12:16:16 am »
Cacao beans are just that, the raw beans. Cacao nibs are crushed up beans rolled in a panella sweetener and are a great snack. For a better explanation try www.lovingearth.net or www.powersuperfoods.com.au
Hope that helps :)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:45:34 am »
Thanks Kimmyh. Do you have any idea on the difference between Cacao nibs and Crio Bru beans? That's more the question I have as they advertise Crio Bru as being 100% cocoa beans but I thought that cocoa was processed cacao???  ???

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:48:08 am »
I getting even more confused.  ??? ??? I drink crio and use cocoa mainly for cooking. Sometimes I cook with crio. But then I have some cacao butter in the fridge. I find it very confusing too
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:06:59 am »
I've just found some more information on the Crio Bru website and they say

"Crio Brü is brewed drink made from 100% cacao beans (also known as cocoa beans), roasted to perfection"

So it would seem to me that Cacao nibs are the natural product and these are then roasted and ground to form the Crio Bru. I'e sent a message to the Crio Bru site asking if they are able to clarify for me. I notice that Jo from Quirky cooking use cacao nibs quite a bit and doesn't mention Crio Bru at all. It would be interesting to get nutritional information on both for comparison.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 01:17:52 am »
Wonder,  I was just about to post ask Jo.

:)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 03:15:50 am »
I found this reply on quirky jo's page
"cacao nibs are just the cacao beens cut up roughly - Crio Bru is roasted I believe, and ground. :)"

I purchased the cacao powder at the health food shop at lunch time and will compare the nutritional information to the Crio Bru when I get home tonight.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 04:42:49 am »
I could always ring Jo for you
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 07:45:05 am »
I've just found some more information on the Crio Bru website and they say

"Crio Brü is brewed drink made from 100% cacao beans (also known as cocoa beans), roasted to perfection"

So it would seem to me that Cacao nibs are the natural product and these are then roasted and ground to form the Crio Bru. I'e sent a message to the Crio Bru site asking if they are able to clarify for me. I notice that Jo from Quirky cooking use cacao nibs quite a bit and doesn't mention Crio Bru at all. It would be interesting to get nutritional information on both for comparison.

The reason Jo would not be able to mention Crio Bru is because Tenina sells Crio  Bru and Jo works for Grace Mazur. It would definitely be a no no to mention  anything that may connect any thermothingy  consultant to Tenina.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Persistenttiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:34 am »
I want to try some crio Bru. Can anyone recommend the best one for a certified addicted real coffee drinker? 

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:30:32 am »
Sorry wonder. Don't know anything about crio bru. Looks like you have it sorted.
 I really like cacao nibs. Great treat that's better than snacking on chocolate.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:50:39 am »
I want to try some crio Bru. Can anyone recommend the best one for a certified addicted real coffee drinker? 

I think cocoa river. I was a real coffee drinker but I only drink crio bru now.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:56:26 am »
Interestingly the crio bru doesn't have nutritional information on the packet. I've sent a message to the crio bru company asking them the difference. I'm thinking its the difference between raw and roasted beans

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
I've received a response from Crio Bru and as I thought Crio Bru is a roasted and ground version of the Cacao nibs. I'm not sure if nutrients would be lost with the heating but I did notice the nutritional information between the raw nibs and the powder is quite different which seems to be a result of the cacao butter present in the nibs being removed when they make it into a powder.

"Crio Bru is roasted and ground up finer but otherwise the same as any Cocao nibs that have nothing additional added to them"