Author Topic: Hi from Lancashire  (Read 9316 times)

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
Hi from Lancashire
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:03:21 pm »
Hello,
 My name's Barry, and I live in Lancashire in the north west of England. I read about the TM in a British food magazine called 'Delicious'. Heston Blumenthal included it as one of his top domestic gadgets. I've been meaning to get a food mixer/processor for a while, mostly because I bake a lot of bread but find the kneading uncomfortable. The brief description was enough to get me online and looking what the machine had to offer. Two weeks later, and I've got one on my countertop, and I reckon it's the best kitchen gadget I've ever had.
 I've surfed this forum quite a lot already, and hope to be able to contribute recipes once I've tried a few. I'm cooking more from non-TM sources, adapting them, so hopefully some of what I'm doing will be new and inspritaional, but I'm looking forward to the advice and ideas from more seasoned users  :)
 Already done soups, risottos, bread, pizza, soy milk, smoothies and sorbet, and I'm on day 5  ;) I'm so glad there are resources like this forum for users - especially as the TM is a bit different to other food mixers/processors.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Hi from Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:03:37 am »
welcome barry!!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:53:29 am »
Welcome Barry - great to see you managed to find us.   ;D ;D

Great work with all you've done so far - it really becomes addictive.   ;)

Looking forward to some recipes - anything that you like, simple or difficult is always appreciated.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:53:15 am »
Welcome Barry to a very helpful site. Enjoy your Thermomix. ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Master Moderator

• Thermomix Recipes
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Thermomix
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 10:29:28 am »
Hi Barry.

Great to have you on board. It would be nice to have English recipes on the forum.

Have a great weekend.

Admin (a fellow Brit from SW UK) :-)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 12:48:18 pm »
Welcome.

I am at day 2 and lovin' it.  Like you, I have had a go at adapting some family favourite.  Some success, some tweaking necessary, but all in all, lots of fun  :)
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:57 pm »
Welcome Barry.  Great going!  :D
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:25 am »
Welcome Barry,

You sound like you have wasted no time in" getting īnto it".  Good for you!!!   I was a little scared of mine at first so took it easy, unlike my daughters who ploughed right in!!!

Trudy

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 04:06:29 pm »
Hi Barry,
welcome!  Nice to have another Brit aboard  ;D  What smoothies did you make, out of interest?  Although I've made a couple, because they aren't a usual part of my diet I haven't got around to feeling comfortable making them yet.  Hoping to eventually reach a place where they're a natural extra thing to whizz together as part of breakfast  ;D

As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 12:31:04 pm »
Hi Barry, nice to have another man on board and looking forward to any recipes you post on the forum. You won't regret your quick decision to buy the TMX.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:05 pm »
Sorry for not replying sooner - I really hadn't expected anyone to reply to my introduction  :-\ Thanks for all the welcomes and nice comments so far!

CarolineW, the smoothies weren't to a recipe as such - I just used what I had to hand (pineapple, peaches, limes, strawberries - and the occasional dash of Pimm's ;) ). I must try out my favourite smoothie sometime though, which is banana, honey, yoghurt, oats and orange juice (really satisfying liquid breakfast). Actually, I'm making lots more sorbets (the recipes in the TM31 cookbook, using whatever fruit I can get) than smoothies - they last longer, though still only a day or so, they're so nice :)

I like to try recipes at least 3 times before I share them, so it might be a little while before I post any of my own, but I've started trying other people's here, so I'll comment on those for now.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 02:56:55 am »
wereabouts in Lancs are you Barry?  Im orginally  from Liverpool but near Lancs!  We are coming back for Xmas, might come a knocking at your door to borrow your thermo!!  I dont know how im going to cope without it for 4 weeks!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 07:27:26 pm »
wereabouts in Lancs are you Barry?  Im orginally  from Liverpool but near Lancs!  We are coming back for Xmas, might come a knocking at your door to borrow your thermo!!  I dont know how im going to cope without it for 4 weeks!
Bring it with you  ;D  Are you coming anywhere near London at all?
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 03:44:11 am »
Id love to bring it with me but with 2 kids and hand luggage for them to cope with I think I would be struggling carting TM along!  Maybe I'll leave one of the kids at home!
I dont think we will be coming near London, knowing the good old British winter I dont think we will be moving too far from the fireplace!  Maybe just to NEXT for the sales after Xmas!!

Offline reesale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 06:07:38 am »
Welcome Barry!
Congratulations on your TM :)