Author Topic: Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.  (Read 98074 times)

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:05:57 am »
In an attempt to lose some weight and improve my overall health, I've decided that this month I am going to eat Paleo to see if it is right for me.  The principles of Paleo are to eat what our ancestors ate: i.e. no processed foods, grains, legumes, refined sugars and dairy.  I started on 1 Jan and am finding it pretty easy so far.  My plan is to follow the guidelines as closely as possible for a month or two and then perhaps introduce some dairy back into my diet (I cannot live forever without icecream and cheese!).  

Incidentally, for those of you familiar with the Eat Right For Your Bloodtype Diet - the principles are very similar to the diet recommended for "O" bloodtypes.

Anyway, I've created this thread to reference Paleo friendly recipes so I (and others) have a quick reference.  I've included some recipes that suggest serving the dish on a bed of rice or pasta - you can either ignore this or try some Mock Rice using cauliflower instead.

Chicken
Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato
Chicken Breasts in Tomato Sauce with Mushrooms
Butter Chicken & Tikka Paste  NB: replace cream with coconut cream.
Lime & Mint Chicken Skewers
Lemon Coriander Chicken
Easiest Ever Coconut Chicken Curry
Chicken Breast with Capers, Anchovies and Sundried Tomato
LC Sesame Chicken Patties.  NB: replace shoyu with tamari.

Beef
Thermomix Roast Beef NB: Replace wine with stock.
Sun Dried Tomato Meatballs with Creamy Pesto

Lamb
Indian Lamb Curry
Italian Lamb Casserole
FFS Lamb Pesto Crusto with Gusto (Review)
LC Lamb Ragu (Review)  NB: Replace wine with stock.

Seafood and Fish
Mussels with Mint
Tahitian Fish Ceviche   NB: replace soy sauce with tamari.
Vegetable Omelette with Tuna
QFITT Sesame Crusted Salmon with Wasabi Mayonnaise
LC Spicy Seafood Soup
LC Thai Prawn & Lemongrass Soup

Vegetarian
Raw Cucumber Mint Soup
Spicy Coconut Zucchini

Salads and Sides
High Protein Salad
Fennel & Cucumber Salad

Sauces and Condiments
Megan's Tomato Passata

Desserts (best to have in moderation!)
Banana & Raspberry Icecream
QFITT Tropical Sorbet (Review)

Juices, Smoothies and Drinks
QFITT Beetroot Smoothie (Review)

I'll add more links to recipes as I come across them.

Acronym Definitions:
FFS = For Food Sake by Tenina Holder
QFITT = Quick Fix in the Thermomix by Alyce Alexandria
LC = Low Carb Mini Series by Alyce Alexandria
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:34:45 am by VieveMS »

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Paleo Friendly Recipes - No Grains, Legumes, Dairy, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:01:24 am »
Hi there,

I recently had to go on the Paleo dietfor health reasons.  It wasn't as hard as I thought. Be sure to drink LOTS of water and at least 3 tablespoons of good fats each day in the first weeks as your body adjusts.

Chelsea  :)

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:50 am »
The big question is did you lose weight Chelsea?

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:20:27 am »
Thanks for the feedback Chelsea.  I am drinking lots of water and hopefully am eating enough good fats (just wish avocado's would come down in price a bit).  Did Paleo give you the health benefits you were looking for?

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:33:55 am »
Thanks for this thread vieve... Very interesting!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:21 am »
Yes I did lose weight courton but unfortunately I was already very slim (through illness) and didn't need to. When I increased my good fat intake the weight loss thankfully slowed.  Yes paleo did work for me V. I had a nasty drug-resistant infection through my body and needed to starve the bacteria. :'(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
I hope all is well now Chelsea, I've missed your postings on the forum.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 02:37:04 pm »
Oh chelsea hope your ok now.. Ive been considering paleo but am still unsure but keeps popping up around me .. For the moment seriously considering.. I really need to do something.. Want to finally lose all the weight ive put on over the years and from what i hear you can eat whatever you want thats on the list ie not portioned controlled like some.. I did the blood type diet when pregnant with ds.. Worked well and made me feel great however put it all back on as became too controlled and i love variety..thx for the post.. Will be a good reference for those wanting to follow it..😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Bonsai

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:00:29 pm »
Ummm, didn't our ancestors have a life span of about 40 years and have to run around to catch all their protein ( no supermarket processed chooks then!), which of course increased their calorie requirements. Not so sure what is wrong with low GI carbs either - the use of grains in our diets actually improved standards of living and health for people as they were no longer forced to be nomadic.

Having large amounts of processed carbs in a diet isn't helpful as we aren't burning heaps of energy hunting and gathering our food any more, but I don't think you can toss out the quinoa with the bath water (to coin a phrase).

This diet may appeal to some but I can't really see any logic in it.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 01:11:37 pm »
I think the idea is organic if you can afford it and grain and dairy free if ive understood.. But you can use coconut flours znd milks etc.. Nut milks.. Im thinking its pretty much what quirky jo does..dairy makes me ill so thzts out anyway but my biggest challenge will be grain.. Love bread and pasta ...!!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:31:21 pm »
I can see logic in it just dont know i have the motivation.. If you look at alot of recipes they are what alot of pol would eqt anyway just no carbs and as for dairy i hardly tiuch it ad often use vegeable or nut subs... Meat veg eggs and nuts is the regime...I was actually surprised at how normal it looked.. Ther are some ppl that are a bit ott but i think vaguely following could be good.. The problem with grains especially wheat is its in everything and alot wr dont know or realise plus its modified to yield better crops etc and in turn beywen modification and over consumption.. Kills the whole concept of everything in moderation.. As a result allergies start appearing and intolerances etc so ppl look for alternatives as you usually figure out whats making you ill like i did with dairy.... Dont think grains are bad just as a society we are consumong way too much of them and there is no balance.. There is no one thing you must eat alot of like in many diets like dukan or protein rich diets this seems to be just sensible balanced eating minus the ingredients thzt have been over consumed or years.. If you havent already done so check out labels and see how many of them have wheat or derivitives of wheat.. Amazing.. And as for dairy you dont get alot of choice.. Everything is cows with very few goats and even less sheep.. I used to get sheeps yoghurt easily in France but here i can only find it in the organic shops in one tub and its about $20 wth.. Talk about lack of choice and expensive and a push towards everything cow dairy.again over consumption. Balance is key so again i get where the paleo lifestyle is coming from but like anything each to their own.. To me its not dissimilar to alot of recipes quirky jo posts which are incredibly popular not to mention healthy and tasty... Blurb over..

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:29:02 pm »
Couldn't agree more, Frozzie - great blurb! Well said!  :)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 08:56:22 am »
I hope all is well now Chelsea, I've missed your postings on the forum.
Thanks JD. Yes on the mend now thankfully and hoping to be about on the forum a bit more. We had to cancel our big trip to Ethiopia due to my illness so I will have the summer holidays thermomixing instead.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:04 am »
What a shame Chelsea - next year now perhaps?

Just looking at your name Chelsea, (Thermie Groupie) and perhaps groupies is a better word for us than belonging to a cult which is being bandied around by some non-thermomix owners.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 03:40:44 am »
Enthusiasts???  :)