Author Topic: Ice cream maker -" to buy or not to buy"!  (Read 25636 times)

Offline kt2

• View Profile
Ice cream maker -" to buy or not to buy"!
« on: October 13, 2012, 10:52:26 pm »
Hi everyone! I've been toying with the idea of buying an ice cream maker for quite a while but I'm still undecided!  :-)) I'm just hoping I could get some feedback from you if you have one and whether it was worth buying. I'm thinking the cuisinart model looks good but please give me your opinions too! Is it a long process to make ice cream? Looking forward to your replies  :)
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Ice cream maker -" to buy or not to buy"!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »
Buy it!!
They're relatively cheap, easy to use, mean you always have a delicious dessert close to hand and your family will love you forever for it.
I bought one & love it.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
I just had to have one a couple of years ago and got a Sunbeam Galateria.  It's the type with a compressor.  Used it a bit when it was new but I was never really that impressed with the result.  It was really soft, no matter how much extra time you allowed so you still had to put it in the freezer to firm up.

It now sits on my laundry bench because its far too big to fit in a cupboard and its really heavy.  I dust it now and then.  I prefer to make it in my mixer, freeze and remix.  Much nicer result.  Now I'm looking forward to using my TMX to make it.

My suggestion, don't buy one, save your money.
I do the best I can

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 11:06:19 pm »

It now sits on my laundry bench because its far too big to fit in a cupboard and its really heavy.  I dust it now and then. 

I had to laugh at this as this is the EXACT same fate my old bread maker has been dealt! The only difference is mine isn't easy to dust as it sat too long next to the stove and got oil splashes all over it to which the dust sticks!! Maybe a pillowcase might hide it's ugliness!!  ;D
Katie, Perth WA

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 11:07:47 pm »
Buy it!!
They're relatively cheap, easy to use, mean you always have a delicious dessert close to hand and your family will love you forever for it.
I bought one & love it.

Amanda, can I please ask what brand you bought?
Katie, Perth WA

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »
I have a Cusinart soft serve machine, don't use it, as it doesn't make much ice cream at once. Only enough for a couple of cones.

The normal cusinart one is better, It was in the shopping thread last year.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:33:01 pm »
If you buy ice cream, it's worth making your own. 
Very simple to do, and there's so many good books featuring gorgeous flavours that are a ridiculous price to buy.
I have this cuisinart one, as storing the interior bowl in the freezer isn't an issue here.

Made Teninas vanilla bean last night.... :-*  store bought will never match it!

on occasion, the kids pour in a can of soft drink and it makes slushies.
now the warmer weather is coming, we'll see more ice creams here  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
Thanks for all you replies  :)

Another question I forgot to ask was whether it makes an "icy" ice cream or "creamy" ice cream?  ??? (if that makes sense!) Or is that dependent on the recipe itself?
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 11:50:21 pm »
I would have to agree with maddy, homemade is so much better.
 I have the Cuisinart one with compressor.  Gets a lot of use in summer.  The machine will only take it to a soft serve stage then it needs to go in the freezer to firm.  It is recommended to take icecream out a little while before serving to soften a little. I seldom do that, I just dip the scoop in warm water.   The machine I have has the mixing arm on the top but I believe the later model has the mixing part underneath which I think would be better.  Ideally the machines with compressors need to be left on a bench as if they are shifted about they recomend it be left a while for the contents of the compressor to settle before starting up.  Mine stays on a bench downstairs.  Hope this helps
Marie

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 11:53:42 pm »
Maddy, home made vanilla bean ice cream certainly wouldn't compare with Bulla or Peter's brand! :D :D :D

That would be top of the list to make followed closely by a salted caramel one  ;D
Katie, Perth WA

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 11:58:06 pm »
Another question I forgot to ask was whether it makes an "icy" ice cream or "creamy" ice cream?  ??? (if that makes sense!) Or is that dependent on the recipe itself?

Know what you mean  ;). have only found it to be creamy, but if it did get icy, cut it up and re-whizz it in the TM, and that should get it right again.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 12:12:59 am »
kt2, firstly in regard to your breadmaker.  If it has a 'bake only' setting perhaps this fruit bread or this sour dough loaf posting might be of interest to you now that summer is approaching.

I have the expensive Cuisinart compressor ice-cream maker and although I am disappointed with a couple of aspects of it, I have been pretty happy with the results.  I prefer plain old vanilla ice-cream to any other and have my favourite that I converted plus now the one of Tenina's from her dessert eBook.  My main problem is that I often have difficulty hooking into the lid to secure the churning arm and when I occasionally fluke it, the machine is reasonably quiet but if not, it is quite loud and being set up in the laundry seems to amplify that noise. I bought it into the kitchen the other day and it is much quieter on the kitchen bench than on the metal cupboard in the laundry.   I am always too impatient to leave the mixture overnight before churning it so invariably I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours or so then start churning.  It takes 40 - 60 minutes and still is not what I would call a 'soft serve' - yes it is soft but too soft for a cone.  Maybe if I make a batch before I really need it and leave it in the fridge, if it is really cold, it will churn in a more reasonable time.

Personally I would try some of the recipes on the forum using the TMX and see what you think.  If you are not happy with that method then the ice-cream maker would be the go for you, especially if you go through a lot of it.  The non-compressor type are reasonably cheap and often on special so rather than spend hundreds of dollars on the top of the range machines, the cheaper one may be worth trying out to see if you do indeed use it.  You must have room in the freezer to store the bowl though which I don't and which is why I bought the one with the compressor.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 12:23:39 am »
I bought the cuisinart compressor ice cream maker and had the same problem as you Judy and sometimes the paddles just wouldn't turn
I have since given up on it and it now has a new home with my son.
I have gone back to making semmifreddo's which everyone loved in the first place  :)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:42:18 am »
Fitting the mixing arm on the Cuisinart compressor machine is tricky.  I sometimes have a problem but have to make sure the little tabs on the top are fitted in their place.  If not it does make a noise and can crack the lid.  Mine did get a crack in it and I sent for a replacement.  I think they have recognised the problem and that is why the mixing part is underneath in the new model.
I think most recipes that are custard based are creamy whereas those that have milk & cream are more icy.  I sometimes make a Delia Smith icecream that (we think) is like the old Dixie cup icecream we used to get.  That one has no eggs but uses a syrup. 
Marie

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:37 am »
My dad and I use to love those Dixie cup ice creams! It was our Saturday morning treat!  :D
Katie, Perth WA