Author Topic: Ice cream maker -" to buy or not to buy"!  (Read 25642 times)

Mama Fergie

Re: Ice cream maker -" to buy or not to buy"!
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2012, 12:06:49 pm »
Judy that is exactly the same problem that I was having which is why I gave it to DS who said I wasn't putting the lid on properly!!!
I will wait and see what happens when he uses it 😉

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »
Yes it will be interesting MF - tell him to hurry up and make some ice-cream as we all want to know if he can get the darn thing on or is it just a woman thing  ;D  I am definitely going to write to them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2012, 11:38:23 pm »
I bought the Cuisinart no compressor at a good special quite a few froum members got one too. It works fine don't use it much though

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2012, 12:23:21 am »
I sent the email off last night and a reply was waiting for me this morning - send it back and they will look at it, no cost to me of course.  Great heavy thing to box up - I found the original box but had thrown out all the polystyrene of course.  It will go off today and they said it could take up to 3 weeks before I hear from them.  Customer service alive and well which is nice to see.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2012, 12:27:27 am »
That's good news Judy hopefully they can fix it  :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2012, 01:35:24 am »
That is good news Judy, it makes all the difference when they are quick to offer help, it doesn't always happen.  Fingers crossed it was faulty and you have no more trouble from then on.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:50 am »
Thanks Julie, I must say I was surprised at their response then I felt so glad this topic came up on here and I actually did something about my problem instead of just putting up with it.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 02:38:53 am »
Yay again for this forum!  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 03:15:50 am »
I bought the Ice Cream Bowl for my Kitchen Aid and I've been really happy with it. No extra bench space needed because it sits in the freezer.

It makes quite a bit of ice cream and only takes 20 minutes with really cold custard. Beautiful texture, too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 04:32:56 am »
I bought the sunbeam ice cream machine with the compressor on the weekend, Grumpy said that we didn't need an ice cream machine, and what makes me think that mine will be any better than buying it from the shop, I didn't answer that one, but did answer the question about not needing one, You don't need one, but I do!! was my response.

I read a lot of comments on the machine both positive and negative, but we don't mind our ice cream being a little on the soft side, and if there is any left over, it can go in the freezer for next time.

I haven't un boxed it yet, though i would let it rest for a day or too, he may not be so grumpy then

I used to have a manual ice cream machine when the kids were little and we all got involved in making the MR Whippy.

I broke the cardinal rule and lent it and my electric one to my neighbour, as she was having a dinner and never saw it again as she broke both of them, if you can believe it.

She put a Tea towel on the electric one and burnt the motor, the manual one which would have been over 50 years old, broke both the churning handle and the blades.

I looked on the internet to buy another manual one as there is just 3 of us living at home, 2 adults and 1 dog, and she loves her ice cream, but i could only find them in America for about $170 plus $70 postage, so thought i would just get a fully electric one,.

I do have a cuisinart one that you put the bowl in the freezer, but we don't have that much freezer room and to take up a whole shelf with an empty bowl was a good excuse to get the new one.
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 05:21:26 am »
I am sure you will love the Sunbeam machine and you will soon win over Grumpy. My DH said the same thing at the time we bought our first one.  The Sunbeam  I had made beautiful icecream and we always put it in the freezer to firm up anyway after making so it was not a problem.  Sorry to hear about your other machines, hopefully you won't be asked to lend any thing else.  Happy ice cream making  ;D

Marie

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 07:13:33 am »
I use mine summer and winter. It will be nice to know that when you come in off the boat you can walk inside and have a nice cooling, quite healthy icecream.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2012, 04:51:57 am »
my kids love icecream.
Just get it out of the box and use it.... :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 05:28:47 am »
I am not really the person to comment.  I love my ice cream machine.  It is about 30 years old,  Italian,  with compressor.  It is one of the few things I pack on the car when the Fires are about and we have to leave.It makes enough for 6 large serves, in30 mins.  I usually chill the mix first then churn.   It lives on the bench in the laundry,  is fairly noisy.  I bought it because DH loves ice cream .  I usually make a custard based one as we have plenty of eggs.  Rum and Raisin is my favorite. In the summer I make a special vanilla ice cream base with chips of frozen coffee folded in. I put a scoop of this in the iced coffee I have made in the TMX.
I have 2 special aluminum containers,  which I line with plastic.  These freeze very fast if the churned icecream is too soft.
Cones,  I buy sugar cones and when I open a packet,  we use the lot as they go soft.  I bought a machine to make cones,  useless.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:08:57 am by judydawn »

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 05:55:13 am »
Chookie, Rum & Raisin is my DHs favourite flavour.  Last lot I made I put quite a bit of rum in and the ice cream did not set hard. Have just bought the book "The Perfect Scoop" David Lebovitz
Your icecream machine sound great.

Marie  :)