Author Topic: Frozen Vegetables  (Read 15859 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Frozen Vegetables
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:38:08 am »
I've never tried frozen vegetables before but thought I would buy some for nights when we are both working thinking they would be easy to just steam in the microwave or varoma if I have rice cooking. I've tried both of these ways and the vegetables seem very water logged and not nice and crisp like we are used to. I've tried cooking for a shorter time period but then they seem hard and still taste very watery. Do others use frozen vegetables and if so do you have a problem with them tasting watery? or how do you cook them to eliminate all the water?

I was thinking tonight I will throw them in a hot wok and sear them to have with rice and the hoisin chicken. Maybe I should be defrosting them on some paper towel to drain the water, but that seems to defeat the purpose of them being quick and easy??

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Re: Frozen Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:54 am »
I always have frozen veg in the freezer.
I sometimes throw them in the varoma if I'm cooking something in the jug, and honestly, prefer the frozen stir fry veg for the wok...so much quicker.
I never microwave them, or defrost.  Just keep in mind they only need a short cooking time, or they'll go too soft...usually had recommendations on the pack.
.........EAT CAKE!

Mama Fergie

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:09:45 am »
Wonder, no matter what I do with frozen veg they always end up watery therefore I never use them with the exception of frozen peas. I must say I haven't tried them in the Varoma so will be interesting to know if anyone else has had success in the Varoma.
Haven't stir fried them in the wok either.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 06:23:14 am »
We always have frozen veggies like peas, corn, broccoli, beans etc. I always steam them in the top part of the varoma while my potatoes are in the basket and things like carrots, pumpkin etc in the bottom of the varoma.
Nothing beats fresh veggies though :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:36 am »
I have frozen veges for stirfys and fried rice..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

*suzanne*

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 06:59:03 am »
We never have frozen veggies, the kids just won't eat them and this is all FIL eats and he doesn't understand why the kids won't eat them  thinking they don't like veggies :-)), I too find them very watery so don't bother buying them anymore

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:16:54 am »
Thanks everyone, I'll try them stir fried tonight with a bit of left over rice. We have frozen peas all the time but they don't seem watery.

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 08:55:56 am »
I always have frozen peas and corn in the freezer. Put them in a zip lock bag or freezer bag (no added water) and give them a few minutes. Never water logged.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:06:05 am »
I keep frozen peas, baby beans and corn in the freezer.  So handy and they dont seem to mind being frozen.  I don't have success with many other frozen veg, although the thai frozen veg seem to be ok cooked in coconut milk and curry powder or paste.
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 09:12:16 am »
I have them since the food challenge, good back up. Always had peas of course :)

Nothing beats fresh veg though.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 10:44:20 am »
Peas and corn are fine but most other vegies are watery.  I mainly use frozen beans in dishes like chow mein or casserole type meals etc if I don't have fresh. Of course there is no substitute for fresh vegies, peas being the acception in my opinion but when prices are sky high, they are a good alternative.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Tried stir frying them and still not a fan. Will stick to just frozen peas, canned corn and fresh everything else.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 12:42:07 pm »
Same as me Wonder. I cannot eat frozen veg apart from peas which are always nice. Good to hear you stir fried and still didn't enjoy as I have never tried stir frying frozen veg and now won't bother trying :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:50 pm »
a bag of mixed frozen veg are handy to have in the freezer i add about a cup plus fresh veg when making minestrone soup when prices are high

how fresh are the fresh veg anyway
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 09:02:14 pm »
The only way to have frozen beans and carrots is to boil the b*****y out of them and stir through butter and salt when cooked ;)
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com