Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 441887 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:04 pm »
Thanks for those Judy, Yes do have FFS and have enough beans to try all those.  ;D

Marie

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2012, 10:36:53 pm »
Haven't been on lately, but have loved reading through everyone's success in the garden.

We have raspberries, snow peas, silverbeet, asian greens, broccoli, garlic, potatoes all ready at the moment.  Enjoying being out in the sunshine with the kids in the garden.  My daughter won't eat her veggies at the dinner table but is happy eating straight from the garden.  Can't get any fresher than that.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #377 on: December 30, 2012, 10:21:28 pm »
Finally DH cut the old water tanks up for me yesterday to make 4 raised garden beds. Now I just need to fill them.
I'm using cardboard( boxes from my sisters recent house move), newspaper, pea straw (DH is about to bale some up) blood and bone (DH works at a Abbotoir) sheep poo (DH works on a sheep farm) and compost ( I have plenty of that) so almost will cost nothing to fill them ready to plant ;D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #378 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:11 pm »
Apart from tomatoes and cucumber, we have actually been self sufficient in veg for the two of us for the past four weeks!  So pleased.  We have carrots, beetroot, silverbeet, snowpeas, lettuces, spring onions, potatoes, beans, herbs.  There are a lot of tomatoes, eggplant coming along nicely. Now just have to send DH out fishing a couple of times a week and we would be set LOL!
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 30, 2012, 10:31:32 pm »
I will be very sad to see mine when we get home, with this eat in perth I am thinking most things will be dead >:(
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #380 on: December 31, 2012, 12:44:13 am »
We had a good crop of pawpaws this season and have eaten/ given away quite a few.  Just in the last couple if days some nocturnal predator has taken large chunks out of a couple still on the trees.. Possums I think!! The local nursery suggested this handsome fellow!! Don't know if it will work... We'll see... :)

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 31, 2012, 12:48:47 am »
Goldfish is it one with flashing eyes? My best friend has a terrible (but lovely) problem with possums LOL. She has now given up and decided to just enjoy their visits.
Kylie

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 31, 2012, 01:30:06 am »
My sister has a beautiful avocado tree with heaps of fruit. She says the rats get into them. Plenty for everyone still.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 31, 2012, 01:49:43 am »
My garden is marvellous.... MIL came this morning to drop off a parcel, said she was going down to the shops to buy zucchini....I was so happy to just be able to go and pick her some straight from the garden...and she was so happy too as it saved her a trip to the shops as that is all she was going to get!!  ;D  Tomato plants are loaded with green toms - can't wait for them to start ripening up too!! Summer... :D :D :D
:D

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 31, 2012, 01:58:58 am »
Goldfish is it one with flashing eyes? My best friend has a terrible (but lovely) problem with possums LOL. She has now given up and decided to just enjoy their visits.

No flashing eyes lol... But eye catching! DD lives in an apartment 3 floors up and a family of possums visit most nights for some fruit offerings.. They are so sweet!  (But for me..I would really like to be able to finish off the few pawpaws that are left. :) .found one of them on the ground the other day.... Chooks had had a go at one side.... Little doggy teeth marks on the other side!!!)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 31, 2012, 02:01:46 am »
We have plenty of zuchinnis, carrots, spring onions, tomatoes not ripe yet.
Have spent the morning processing cherries from our trees, blueberries, raspberries and Strawberries.  
The wind has blown off some of the apples and pears.  Also lost a few walnuts, but found we have 3 hazlenuts on the tree  :)
GF, Love those paw paws  ;D
Marie

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 31, 2012, 02:37:42 am »
I have lychees, and avocados, mangoes on at the moment.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 31, 2012, 02:49:41 am »
My garden is standing up surprisingly well in this WA heat wave.  I am busy making relishes and suppling a few friends with regular produce in exchange for punnets of seedlings to replenish
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 02:53:31 am by berringamababe »

Offline goldfish

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 31, 2012, 02:50:43 am »
Sounds like heaven.... !!! :)

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 31, 2012, 03:38:10 am »
BB your garden is fantastic, puts my little plot to shame, still there is just me I'm picking Zucchini, carrots, silver beet, kale and rhubarb, tomatoes are still green.