Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 446702 times)

mcmich

Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #120 on: September 10, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »
Good job Nikkit.  I've just been planting seeds in my little hot house.  Can't really plant out until the end of Oct because of frost.  But hopefully will have large established seedlings to plant.  Have planted out all the garlic that spouted in the shed so that's about 160 cloves.  Might have to have a stall out the front of the house selling Aussie grown garlic.

Also planted some snow peas today

Excellent idea keiramax. Nik is right, can't get Aussie garlic. It should be back in the super markets soon though.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2012, 11:44:01 pm »
I'm out near Gembrook in Victoria.  I hadn't grown garlic until last year and that was a bit of an experiment.  Now I'll have heaps, fingers crossed, as long and the wombat doesn't take a liking to it.  He was out there last night having a dig around.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2012, 11:54:55 pm »
I got quite a few bulbs of garlic on the weekend at the nursery, they were selling all their old planting stock as cooking garlic because they said it's now to late plant them. I've already used a few of the bulbs and think I'll go back and get more. It's Tasmanian garlic and has a lovely mellow flavour. They were $1 a bulb which didn't seem to be a price.

We planted rainbow chard, rocket, parsley, spinach, oregano, thyme, beetroot and lots of Kale late last week. All the seedlings look really good and strong. We don't have a vegetable patch as such but have planted out some pots around the pool and put others in the garden beds.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2012, 11:59:46 pm »
Darn keiramax - you are on the wrong side of the country (or is it me??!), bit of a drive to get your garlic!
A wombat in your garden...I do hope he doesn't think it is a good spot to be.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:16 am »
Nikkit (and anyone else that is interested).  These people grow good, organic, Australian garlic.  They are based in Daylesford here in Victoria and you can catch them at various farmers markets around Melbourne.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2012, 12:11:44 am »
Garlic takes 6 months, sadly takes too long for me as it would take up too much space.

Any ideas where to grow it? Maybe pots? Does it need shade or sun?
I am thinking in a pot round the side of the house.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2012, 12:13:41 am »
Hally a bit pot on your patio or deck would be ok.
I have herbs growing in a terracotta herb pot on my front deck.. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2012, 12:28:53 am »
Next time at Bunnings will look around.

Need to buy basil.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Kayc

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2012, 12:57:51 am »
I am feeling quite proud of myself .. I emptied the bottom of my compost container, through the doors on the sides and was able to fill up to 2 largish containers!  However the mix had a lot of slaters/woodlice so I googled and found that they were a good sign that all was well with the mixture.

Planted 6 patio tomatoes, and picked spinach (which we have in every meal) , coriander and parsley for tea.

Today have to trim the rosemary bush which has grown about 15cm the last few days.  Need to mulch in the next week before it gets tooo hot here in Perth

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:33 am »
Hally, we grow most things in pots on the deck as we have very little garden beds and they all seem to grow well, just don't over crowd. I looked everywhere for garlic plants and the few I found were $5.99 for one plant, the nursery man said to forget about growing garlic until next March in Melbourne.

I've had the Daylesford garlic and it's wonderful.

Offline keiramax

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:51 am »
Potting on my tomato seedlings today.  Hoping to grow them to a decent size ready to plant out at the start of Nov.  This variety is called Wilde Sweetie, little red tomatoes about the size of a marble.  Hoping they will ripen quickly and the kids will think they are lollies.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2012, 07:29:50 am »
I noticed today my carrot seeds are up, they were home collected a few years ago I wasn't sure if they would still be ok.  happy about that, no sign of the radish's I will have to put in more they usually are very easy to grow.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 18, 2012, 07:31:28 am »
we have strawberries up at the moment..

Got heaps more seeds in yesterday at our shop..
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
« Reply #133 on: September 18, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »
Very pleased with our carrots. These are reclining on a dinner plate so you can get an idea on size. The longest one is 25cm!  The silver beet is still doing well too. Lots of silver beet and feta quiches/pies.  Tonight silver beet and cauliflower quiche.  I think of you  Hally, when I cook up silver beet - LOL

My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2012, 12:00:58 am »
looks good Jude.

[/url