Author Topic: Varoma Veggies help  (Read 16952 times)

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
Re: Varoma Veggies help
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 03:21:01 am »
OMG Cookie thats terrible. I hope DH is coping OK. Why they put chemicals in food and drinks is beyond me.  ???
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 07:05:13 am »
My friend only cooks veggies once or twice a week for her self and Her DS, the other days she gives her DS a vitamin tablet instead :o.
I don't know about you but I don't think vitamin tablets can replace the real thing.

You're 100% right there Mandi. Vitamin tablets and supplements cannot replace a healthy, balanced diet. That poor kid is going to have some really bad eating behaviours when he is older >:(

my kids eat so much fruit that I wish I had fruit trees, but I'm happy to keep buying fruit if they are eating it.

LOL Mandi, you would need an entire orchard ;D

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 07:08:01 am »
I had to laugh as DH bought some weird orange juice to take to Monkey Mia. We didn't drink it and he has been drinking it at home. It was one that didn't need refrigeration until opened. This morning he said 'look at this'. He has itches all over his body. He hasn't been bitten or anything so we are fairly sure it is the 'chemicals' in the orange juice. He is amazed and I didn't like to say anything like 'I told you so." Poor darling.

Scary cookie...I had the same thing once from refridgerated o.j.
My throat was so itchy, and I came out in red splotches, so I quickly took an antihistamine.  I think it has something to do with reconstituted juice.
If oranges are not nice, I buy this instead

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2012, 07:21:33 am »
Im pretty new to using the varoma but have had success doing what others have suggested 900g tap water speed 3 though if I don't have many hard veg I just use speed 1. Takes 20 to 35 mins sometimes i put the water in and start boiling it while i cut the veg. AND of course you should have veg every night! Vitamin supplements certainly don't replace the nutrients from fresh veg or the fibre. I feel horrid if I go a few days without veg I usually find myself whipping up a vege stir fry :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 07:24:08 am »
I also don't chop up my potatoes really small like others. Usually an average size potato is cut in quarters and steamed in the basket. 35 minutes and they are cooked perfectly.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 10:43:29 am »
We don't have veggies as a side dish every night - kids just won't eat them, will go without dinner/dessert rather than eat a veg! Of course I 'hide' veg in meals whenever I can, & I set a good example by piling my own plate with steamed veg now & then. I don't believe in making a fuss about food, I don't want to give them food hang ups by forcing them to eat foods they hate. That's what happened to me as a kid, & as a result I STILL won't eat peas! Good news is they're slowly starting to come around - they like salad stuff & the youngest has decided she quite likes broccoli! They also love fruit. I used to give them a multivitamin when they were younger & in daycare to boost their immune system on the advice of a pharmacist.
Melbourne, inner north

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 11:03:00 am »
I think it is normal to have veggies or salad with every meal. If I serve an " all in one meal" like pasta, I make sure that there are veggies in the meal anyway. That is how i grew up, and that's what my kids are used to.My kids complain that they are the only kids at school who only get given fruit or veggies for brain food and recess. I rarely put in a packet of chips, dippers, muesli bars or rollups. I have relented a little lately and pop in a couple of homemade biscuits or muesli slice along with the fruit/ veggies.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 11:40:24 am »
I used to be jealous of the other kids at school who got all those treats like muesli bars, chips, cakes, biscuits, chocolates, lollies or roll-ups in their lunchboxes. Our lunches were one sandwich/roll, 1 small piece of homemade slice and 1-2 pieces of fruit. But now I'm really glad my mum never caved in and gave us those packaged snack foods, otherwise I would have struggled with my weight even more than I have done already :(
There was one girl in my class whose mum used to pack her a lunchbox full of fun size chocolates, one of pretty much every chocolate bar you can think of, and a sandwich of white bread, nutella and chocolate sprinkles. You would not believe that this girl was the skinniest in the class :o

Sorry, I went off topic there :-)) Carry on! ;D

Mama Fergie

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 03:13:06 pm »
We also eat either salads or veggies with every meal depending what the main part of the meal is. More salads in summer and more veggies in winter. I don't think a meal is complete without one or the other. This is how I grew up and now my adult children do the same so their little ones all have plenty of fresh fruit and veggies.  ;D