Author Topic: How long does it take you to cook dinner?  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
How long does it take you to cook dinner?
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:38:44 am »
I'd like this to be an ongoing thread and just wanted to know how long it takes everyone to cook dinner. By that, I mean all parts of it ie the meat casserole, mash and steamed veges.

I don't want thermomix times eg pizza dough in 3 minutes 'cos that doesn't take into account rising and cooking time, iykwim.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: How long does it take you to cook dinner?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:30 am »
depends on the interruptions, kids, phones, usually 30-60 minutes.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 03:43:37 am »
For me it's usually between 45 min to an hour. Depends what I'm cooking. I usually start around 5pm and we are eating around 6pm. If its a roast then of cause it's a lot longer from when I prepare the roast and put it I to bake. And as we are a big family we have big roast so longer cooking time.
But overall if it's only preparation you mean it probably really only takes 30 mins to have everything prepared and ready to cook :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 03:49:22 am »
Well I steam and oil all my roasting veges for the week in one hit on monday, getting dinner ready each night then does not take much preparation time. We have tea at 5:30 every night, I probably spend a max of 20min getting it ready then approx 1hr cooking time in the oven - but without me involved. Or in TM quicker (usually) cooking time. Or in slow cooker half a day or more cooking.  :)
:D

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:49:18 am »
It depends on what we are having. Last night was risotto bolgnese and it took around 45 minutes including a few minutes finding the recipe online, dishing up and sitting down to eat.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:08:46 am »
Hi Tasty,

Normally it takes me between 45min to an hour from start to the table ready to eat. If DH cooks, it takes longer :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:41:05 am »
It all depends on what we are having, tonight we are having  pasta con broccoli it will take max 15mins

some days it takes hours eg gnocchi
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 06:25:58 am »
THanks for the replies ladies. I was meaning more on a individual basis rather than what is the average time it takes you to cook dinner.

So for example tonight we are having cashew coated veal with steamed veges from the healthy food magazine website. WE chose it for the menu plan as it's only 30 minutes all up (have to see about that but it looks simple).

The reason I'm asking this as I'm finding I have been spending a lot of time cooking some meals, especially if they are new recipes and things don't go to plan. SO I've decided to find recipes that don't take long and was wondering how long others spend on cooking.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:38 am »
Hi Tasty,
I tried a new recipe from the forum last night and it took me about an hour and half because I'd never cooked it before and had to play around with it a bit. Tonight we are having steamed fish and vegetables, which I cook a lot so I know it will only take me 20-30 minutes :)