Author Topic: Which recipe book is best for a newbie??  (Read 8155 times)

Offline MamaMix

• View Profile
Which recipe book is best for a newbie??
« on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:56 am »
I saw great reviews for For Food's Sake recently, but I was wondering what you guys think would be a good first cook book to buy?? I'm into healthy eating so not too keen on heaps of butter & sugar heavy recipes.
Also, where do you buy these cook books from?? I'm in New Zealand so wondering if I might have a hard time getting my hands on them...
Made in Denmark, living in New Zealand with my soulmate and 3 gorgeous kids (4, 3 and 1).

Offline Grannysmith

• TMX Fan, Helen
    • View Profile
Re: Which recipe book is best for a newbie??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:25:10 am »
Hello MM,

Try the TMX Online Shop. There may be something there that would suit your style of cooking. Otherwise just Google Thermomix recipes and you can select from hundreds of recipes from all over the world. I've started my own collection of recipes from the internet that appeal and will keep adding to the list and trying them out. When I have one I particularly like I print it out and put into a book of plastic sleeves. I've even had to resort to separate categories.

Granny

Grannysmith

mcmich

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 03:52:05 am »
For Foods Sake is a wonderful cookbook. Also a new cookbook A Devil of a Cookbook is wonderful.

Offline desi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 05:26:33 am »
Hi MamaMix,

I have the Devil of a Cookbook and I find it very good. The recipes are easy to make and the outcome is impressive. This book was  put together and published by volunteers in aid for the Tasmanian Devils. Some of these little animals are suffering from a form of facial cancer. A group of lovely people have established a program to prevent them from extinction by protecting the healthy ones.  However, because a lot of people have taken part to put the book together, there a few mistakes made. If you buy the first addition you will have a note about the mistakes in the book. I was told that it will all be corrected in the next addition.   

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:09 am »
Other than the EDC book that comes with your machine,  I would suggest Alyce's Quick Fix and TEninas , For foods Sake.  Both can be bought directly from these generous and creating women.   Other than these, use the Forum.  You will find reviews of many recipes that are in the EDC here.  Use these to get the result you are looking for.  For example,  many have reduced the sugar content with good results.Hope this helps MM.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 10:08:27 am »
I got 2 books thrown in when I purchased  *:. However I use the forum more than the books. This place and these fabulous cooks are the best resource available, and it's free.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 10:28:17 am »
MamaMix, check out this list of URL links of people who own TMX's and share their recipes with us.  There really are so many recipes available on the net that there is no real need to buy recipes books.  You can make your own by choosing the type of recipe you and your family prefer rather than buy a book which may only have a few recipes that appeal to you.  Mind you, I have every book going except a couple so I don't do what I preach (although I should) and most of our members are recipe book tragics as well. Have you seen the reviews of recipes our member have done from all the available books here. You will also find such a variety of recipes on this forum that you will be cooking a different recipe every day for a very long time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline STD

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 05:55:26 am »
Hi  :) :)

I think all the books have something good in them. My most used are the Devil of a Cookbook, Vegetarian (I'm not a vegetarian but there are some good recipes in amongst the many!) and I like some of the Meat on the Menu recipes for easy, everyday use. I feel if you get 2-3 good recipes from a book that can become favourites then you've got your moneys worth and can glean ideas from the other recipes in them. Have fun whichever book you buy!

Sam  :D :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:24:07 am »
Welcome. My favourites would have to be Tenina's For Food's Sake and Alyce's Quick Fix in the Thermomix. Apart from that the forum is an excellent place to find recipes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Connars nan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 11:13:03 am »
Quick fix in the thermomix Loving it

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
While I was waiting for my TM to arrive I borrowed about five books from a friend. To be perfectly honest I am glad I didn't buy any of them! There was not much in them that I really wanted to make.  I have found the forum and the Internet far more helpful. I really like the EDc cookbook and am already starting to add my own notes as I tweak each recipe to suit. I have only had my TM three weeks so still so much to learn. I got another book free with my purchase and same with that one I would only make one or two things from it.  I would personally recommend sticking with the EDC trying all those receives and tweaking to suit your own tastes then happy searching on the Internet.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »
MamaMix, check out this list of URL links of people who own TMX's and share their recipes with us. 
Thanks for this link JD, I hadn't come across that thread yet.
I too mainly use this forum, far more than any recipe book I've bought. All the suggestions and tweaks help so much.

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:56 pm »
Hi MamaMix, I like Tenina's For Food's Sake and also Quick Fix In The Thermomix. If you like Indian, there are some nice recipes and pastes in the Indian cookbook such as Butter Chicken, Tikka paste, Chicken In Yoghurt ....... I think those recipes are actually posted on this forum  ;) I've also got so many recipes that I have printed off from here just waiting to be made!
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Sforcina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:12 am »
Hi MM,
I have authored a recipe book written for the health conscious and which includes the Thermomix method for each recipe.  All recipes are plant based.  if you'd like to view a sample you may email me on: aileen@designed4health.com and I will send you a sample of the book which is entitled 'Rainbow Recipes'.
Aileen Sforcina

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:20:23 am »
I also use this forum for most of my recipes - everyone's reviews help alot too - besides, it's free!!!  ;D
But in saying that I am a recipe-book-aholic!! Whether for TM or not!  :)
:D