Author Topic: New convection microwave - peoples opinions please  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
New convection microwave - peoples opinions please
« on: July 05, 2012, 06:32:49 am »
Our microwave is starting to play up and I was thinking we might look at a convection one if we need to buy a new one. I remember that a few members have them so would like to know if they would buy them again, what brand would they buy and if they are suitable for having in a cupboard type set up as opposed to on the bench top? Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: New convection microwave - peoples opinions please
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:35:40 am »
Wonder, I only have a plain microwave, but someone will help.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:41:55 am »
I am wondering the same thing Wonder. Also think I would like the steam function too.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 06:44:32 am »
Go a sharp carousel convection. They are brilliant. I love mine and would definitely buy another one if this one dies.
My last microwave (plain microwave) was also a sharp carousel and is still going after 16 years. My sister has it now.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:45:46 am »
But a warning they are not cheap. I think one the same as mine which is huge is around $800-$900

stacelee

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 06:49:38 am »
I had a Sharp Convection R990KW for about eight years which I loved.  It died about five weeks ago and I've replaced it with the Sharp Steam Convection Oven Model no AX1500JS.  I'm loving it although I miss some of the auto functions on the older one.  The new one is designed to steam vegetables so it doesn't actually have a auto microwave function.  You can download the instruction manual from their website which will give you some idea of the functions.  I'm absolutely loving it.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 06:57:25 am »
My sister has one and absolutely loves it - it doesn't steam tho.  :)
Hers is a sharp too.
:D

mcmich

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 06:58:43 am »
Two weeks ago I purchased a panasonic convection microwave. I wanted one that would fit in my microwave space as I don't have room on the bench.
The problem is with the depth as they have the fan vent on the back they need a deep space.
I'm fairly happy with it. I have cooked a lot with the convection and it still fits a decent size tray in it. The combination of microwave/convection is is extremely slow about 10 minutes for a small pie from frozen.
It is also a flat bed (no turntable) which I like. It came with two trays and two variable size racks.
It's great having an extra oven. I'm hoping it will save electricity and won't heat the kitchen up in summer.

I hate the fact that I had to take the door off the microwave cupboard and it looks messy. It's going to cost as much as the microwave to get a surround for the cupboard. It always has finger prints on it as you can see from the photo. I'm not overly keen on the dial for the time either.

I would say go for the biggest you can, if you can put it on your bench then you will be able to get a decent size.

I purchased mine from the Bing Lee on sale for $460.

dede has one, can't remember the brand and is very happy with it.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 07:25:36 am »
I'm interested in this thread too Wonder. I just have a cheap Kmart brand microwave and when it dies will look into a convection one - but I keep mine in the pantry cupboard. Just wondering what sort of ventilation the convection microwaves need, does anyone know?
Melbourne, inner north

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:54 am »
The convection microwave ideally need a fair bit of room around them. I can't remember the exact measurements but something like 30cm above and 15cm sides and back. You can buy inbuilt convection microwaves though I do think.
My microwave is a 61 litre I think, which could eat my old 16 litre microwave for lunch :D

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:17 am »
Yes you can get them built-in. Thats the way i would go if getting a new kitchen and they do need ventialtion room. The manual says to allow 25cm above and 10cm each side.
Mine will look built-in as soon as the surround is installed. I have a half cupboard above the microwave space for ventilation.
Mine is only 34 litres, but I have found that adequate so far.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:15:35 am »
Thanks for all the comments, it looks like we won't be able to go with a convection because of the ventilation but I'll still look into it.

stacelee

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:06 am »
I'm not sure if it helps at all but I've had a look at the manual for mine and it requires a 10cm clearance back, top and sides.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 04:42:31 am »
thanks everyone. Our microwave has come good again so no need for a new one at the moment, but will keep it in mind for when it finally does stop working.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:07 am »
Well that's good news for the moment Wonder. Fingers crossed it keeps working for awhile. :)