Author Topic: Dry July - providing much needed funds to support adults living with cancer  (Read 7220 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
After quite a bit of thinking and procrastinating I've joined up to take part in Dry July. I would class myself as a moderately heavy drinker, and I'm sure I'm going to really struggle without it for a full month. I've recently had a family member who also battles mental illness diagnosed with late stage cancer, and while the hospital staff are amazing you realise just how much more could be done for both patients and their families. I've only just joined up so don't have my page up and running just yet but I've included links to both my fundraising page if anybody would like to donate, and also the main website in case there are any other TMXers who would like to join.
http://www.dryjuly.com/profile/nadinebarnes
http://www.dryjuly.com/about/

I've never included links before so hope they work.
Nadine

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Nadine, thanks for such a candid post.  I'm sure you will have the motivation to give this a go - even if you are not 100% successful at least you are trying and that is the main thing.

Sorry I can't join you - I have about 1 sip of wine out of my DH's glass once a week, so no one would raise any amount of money sponsoring me but good luck and give it your best.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
You are doinga great thing Wonder. I'm another who won't be joining you. I haven't had an alcoholic drink for about 3 weeks. I open a bottle of wine and DD and I drink it over a week, but then may not open another for some time. My Monkey Mia port was my last drink.
Best of luck to you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Thanks Ladies, only 4 days to go.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
Good for you Wonder. Hope it goes ok, I am sure you will get lots of support here, but I am yet another non drinker. Lots of people give up in the Uk in January for a month after the Christmas festivities.

.  The 'dry July' we need is no more rain in wet old England. The water companies had to announce a hose pipe ban in order fpr us to have the wettest June for 100 years.

On another matter DH worked out at the weekend he'd saved £30,000 by giving up smoking 15 yrs ago.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Wow Droverjess, 30,000GBP that's a lot of money.  I won't be saving that much - probably only a maximum of $20 per week but I'll be donating that back to the campaign which will be a great feeling in itself.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
I won't be saving that much - probably only a maximum of $20 per week

:-)) and you call yourself a moderate to heavy drinker? I'm just crawling under a rock then.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
CP, that's funny. I really struggled when I was writing the original post because I used to be much heavier than I am now but cut back earlier this year. For last 15 or so years I've had at least a glass of wine a night (most often 2 or 3) but earlier in the year when I was trying to get back to being healthier and feeling less tired I cut back to only drinking on the weekends. I now can't wait for Friday night and will drink 1 or 2 bottles over the course of the weekend depending on what we are doing. If we go to a part etc I would drink a bit more. The $20 saving is probably a bit light on.

mcmich

I won't be saving that much - probably only a maximum of $20 per week

:-)) and you call yourself a moderate to heavy drinker? I'm just crawling under a rock then.

Adding this to the happy thread too. Bought a big smile to my face. (save room under your rock for me CP)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 09:45:25 am by mcmich »

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Wonder, you are wonderful for doing this.

Cancer is something so close to my heart... :-*

I think you would be a very light drinker...

I am cooking cakes for a cancer fundraiser this Thursday..

CP, i'm coming to your rock too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Jude59

• View Profile
    • Jude's Family Cafe
and you call yourself a moderate to heavy drinker? I'm just crawling under a rock then.

Yep that better be a BIG rock because I need to be under it too.... Too funny... I was dying to ask what the definition of a moderate to heavy drinker was.... I hate to think how you would define me...
My Blog - Jude's Family Cafe -
http://judefamilycafe.typepad.com/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Good on you Nadine.

I can get by mon-thurs, but come the weekend I deserve the wine. sometimes we have wine with dinner during the week, but friday night nearly always, then of course sat & sun.

Congrats & what  good cause.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Getting pretty crowded under that rock girls  :D :D

A good thing you are doing Wonder, I hope you get the support you need.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Thanks for the wel wishes everyone. I feel much better about my drinking now, I come from a family of tea totallers and very few of my friends have more than the ccasional glass so I've always been known as quite a big drinker. I must admit the cutting down and having 3 or 4 alcohol free days each week has made a difference.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
i dont know why while i was in bali last time i was not drinking much and still only having a few drinks a week , a bit sad i think  ;D

grays online must be missing me ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian