Author Topic: Anything goes for Uni  (Read 7925563 times)

mcmich

Re: Anything goes for Uni
« Reply #17955 on: October 07, 2013, 06:10:31 am »
There is nothing like the smell of a freezer that has been dead for a couple of weeks. It jumps out and greets you when you return home.  :-\

Many years ago I had rental property on the Central Coast. When we bought the property it had a fridge/freezer in it. The single young lady that rented the property asked if she could have use of the fridge. Yeah , sure (saved us moving it). We had no end of trouble with her she had squatters in the garage, the neighbours were constantly complaining to real estate agent. Always behind on the rent - then she would pay $20 and we couldn't evict her as she had paid something. We didn't renew her lease and when our business partner and I went to clean the place (a major job) up she had turned off the fridge and left everything in there (what a cow). It was horrid. I had to clean it out as my business partner was throwing up. I stuck vicks under my nose, a minty in my mouth and went for it. Absolutely foul.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #17956 on: October 07, 2013, 06:40:47 am »
Oh Michele I can only imagine hw you must have felt. I would be exactly the same but luckily my DH cleaned out ours when it happened. He said it was disgusting. Oh boy was I grateful.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17957 on: October 07, 2013, 07:57:10 am »
Oh ewwww think I would have dumped the whole freezer lol.. Wasteful I know but would have been throwing up and unable to go anywhere near it...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

mcmich

« Reply #17958 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:51 am »
I thought about it Kim. As it was only 6 months old when the tenant moved in and she had a 12 month lease it seemed a bit wasteful. Even after the initial cleaning it took several scrubs and soakings with bicarb and vanilla to eliminate the smell.
If it ever happened again I would just toss the lot - my stomach ain't what it use to be.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17959 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:32 am »
Oh ewwww think I would have dumped the whole freezer lol.. Wasteful I know but would have been throwing up and unable to go anywhere near it...

Lol it would go against the grain but don't think I would get the smell out totally!!. Horrible to have someone so disrespectful though... :(

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #17960 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:40 am »
Hope your food is ok MF.
One good tip which I heard some years ago was when you go away to place an ice cube on a shelf in the freezer ....... If its still there upon coming home - great! But ..... if not it has melted! Be careful!  ;) :)
Katie, Perth WA

mcmich

« Reply #17961 on: October 07, 2013, 09:30:47 am »
That's a good tip kt2.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17962 on: October 07, 2013, 09:33:11 am »
Good evening lovelies.Nice to see you are back from your holiday Denise.I've been giggling at your freezer story Michele :D :D You were brave,I'm like the rest of the girls and would have tossed it :D :D Great tip kt2  ;D
Morning DJ.I hope things are going well there with you today ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #17963 on: October 07, 2013, 09:36:26 am »
Thanks kt2 that's a brilliant suggestion and I will remember that for next time. Also going to put take across the doors so no little hands can open the doors. Not taking anymore chances.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #17964 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:53 pm »
Many years ago we rented our house out for several years - when we eventually took it back we found that the beautiful parquet floor in the kitchen had been lifted and taken away!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #17965 on: October 07, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »
The hide of some people but unfortunately there are many like that who just dont respect other peoples property :(

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #17966 on: October 07, 2013, 09:27:23 pm »
good morning
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #17967 on: October 07, 2013, 09:31:57 pm »
Morning everyone    Promise of a fine day here but hard to say how it will end.  ;D

HI CC & DJ  ;D

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #17968 on: October 07, 2013, 09:57:16 pm »
Hello all
PLEASE REMIND ME NEVER EVER EVER TO LIVE IN A HOUSE while it is BEING RENOVATED AGAIN......
I have had enough. The mess today from the electricians is horrendous. Chasing plaster walls for new wires. The old electrics weren't safe, we had no choice but we'd never planned this when we started. The electrician is great, but the task is terrible.

Windows now coming later this week, hopefully going to start fitting kitchen on fri. DH away on and off three times this week. He picked a good week not to be here. DD brought fish n chips home, there was no way I could make anything tonight. We are all very tired. I vacuumed til 9pm to make it bearable.

It just goes on and on. Hard to believe we've been here 3 months next week. I just want to be able to think and plan and start putting it back together. DH says we will soon. The nameless window company has added almost two weeks to the works after making what can only be described as the WRONG windows. Nightmare. Every night I look at the newspaper stuffing down the side of the windows and feel like Victor Meldrew saying  'I don't believe it' Trying to re book tradies ASAP.

We have a shortage of dust sheets too, despite having far more than most households. It's just trying to cover so many rooms at once for major dust protection. DS is taking down a shower partition and removing tiles in an ensuite and I had to stop him as no one had sheeted up the adjoining bedroom before he started. I could have wept. Have tonight sacrificed a pair of red velvet curtains left here by vendors as they will be dustproof. We have no neighbours to over looks so it doesn't matter.

Apologies for ranting... Feel like running away from the workload tonight but we all know I can't do that.
Dog skin much better, may not be mange, just as well as couldn't get to vet today. He is still challenging, but not surprising with the chaos here.
Night all
Xxx

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17969 on: October 07, 2013, 10:40:09 pm »
DJ a good nights sleep will do wonders. It will soon pass and you will be laughing about in in maybe 10 years!!!  Like giving birth I say. Did renovations once and the dishwasher was out of warranty before it could even be installed. Living in chaos is  character building. What else can we ay to cheer you up.  I know..... You will be on top of the world when your first paying guests leave after  writing a glowing report in your guest book.  You will sit back in your comfy kitchen chair with a nie cuppa and think "wow we did it!"

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.