Author Topic: Help with making pullapart in advance  (Read 10594 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Help with making pullapart in advance
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:34:28 am »
I'm entering our workplace greatest morning tea tomorrow and have decided to do a pullapart as most other entrants are making sweet dishes. My problem is that I'll be working until quite late tonight and have to fit in the gym in the morning before work so not a lot of time to sleep and prepare the pullapart.

I would love advice on the method I'm thinking of:
- make dough tonight and put straight in the fridge in a covered bowl
- remove dough from fridge in the morning before gym - about 5.50am
- when I get back from gym (7am) roll dough, cover in marinated feta (crumbled), sundried tomatoes, and spinach, but and put into tin
- leave to rise while having shower and breakfast (20mins or so)
- put in pre heated oven while getting ready
- cover in a couple of layers of foil for transporting to work. I'm hoping it will stay slightly warm until 10.15am when the judging takes place

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated,I would also love advice on the best dough recipe to use - it's been a while since I made a pullapart and I can't remember which one I used last time.

Thanks

Offline obbie

• View Profile
Re: Help with making pullapart in advance
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 02:43:54 am »
Wonder, the dough I use is on Quirkyjo's blog.

Have you tried looking there.
It was Easter last year, if that is a help.

My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:00:08 am »
I have made one with the no fuss recipe.  Just make sure you bring the dough back to room temp and allow for a double rise.  Look for a warm spot for both.  Also make sure the bottom is cooked.  Should be fine.  Hope you win.  Good luck ;D ;D

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:12:14 am »
Good luck, Wonder.  What an organised lady you are. 
My comment would be in relation to the wrapping with foil.  I am just wondering whether a bit of kitchen paper under the foil might absorb some of the moisture so that it doesn't drip back onto your bread.  How much are you making?  Could you transfer it into the Thermoserver at home for carrying and keeping warm and serve from there at work?  Alternatively, if you own something called a FlavourSaver (ancient Tupperware) that's great for transporting things you want to keep hot.  Wishing you great success.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:46:01 am »
Thanks everyone. I'm a little worried about the timing but if it ends up taking a little longer then so be it.

Obbie I looked on quirkyjo's blog and could only find the pull apart easter sweet bread which looks amazing. I'm thinking now maybe I should do a sweet and savoury version.  I really like the method she uses so will definitely go with.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 06:47:50 am »
Wonder, thats it.
Thats what I made the first time, then just the basic bread in EDC, into a savory pull apart.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:16 am »
Wonder - I have had good success with the Dan Leapard sour cream dough. It is fine to leave over night in fridge for first rise. I think also be careful of foil as might make bread soggy. What about in a box /basket with clean teatowel covering it? Good luck!!!

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 08:07:25 am »
I'm now thinking if it would work by making up to the second rising stage and then put into the fridge overnight, bring out before heading to the gym at about 5.50am and then in the oven at about 7.30am.  This way I won't need to do the rolling, stuffing and cutting in the morning and will save me a lot of time, I could then make both a savoury and sweet one.

I've got a later work call tonight so could do the first proving while on the call.

Any thoughts??

Thanks for the tip re the foil - great idea to use a tea towel or some paper towel to absorb any moisture.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:53:35 am »
Wonder,  don't think I would try and keep it warm.  Being freshly baked ,  it will be OK.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:28:56 am »
I'm more worried about wether I should make to the cooking stage tonight or just to the first rising stage. Any suggestions from those who have proved dough overnight?

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »
I would love to know how you go. I am also making a pullapart and thanks to your question, I am using the no fuss rolls and will be putting spinach and feta inside.

I am doing it all in the morning. I had planned other things but for one reason or another they have not worked out, so I really hope this does.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:40:55 pm »
Good luck Wonder I can't help but let us know how you go

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 01:01:09 am »
Wonder,  You could make to cooking stage.   Let it rise a bit before you put it in the fridge.  Bring back to room temp,  ( could do this in a slow oven at 70/100  o C) Need double oven to do this as the other needs to preheat .

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 02:59:12 am »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up making both a feta, olive and sundried tomato pullapart based on the no fuss recipe and the easter bread pullapart from Quirkyjo's site. I made them both up last night and put straight into the fridge after making, I know now it would have been better to let them rise a little before putting them in the fridge. This morning I took them out of the fridge at 5.30 am and the savoury one had risen a little in the fridge and looked good but the sweet one still looked the same size. I put the sweet ones near a heater vent and at around 7 am they were all still on the cooler side and hadn't risen again. I ended up putting one sweet one into the oven while it was heating and put the other two closer to the heater while the oven was heating. They all seemed to cook pretty much the same and didn't really rise anymore. I didn't taste any of them but i got an honourable mention (basically 3rd place) out of 20 contestants. All the bread was gone at the end of morning tea and I've had a few requests for the recipes. Next time I would add a little more yeast to the sweet dough and ensure it had risen more before putting into the oven and make sure I had enough time in the morning for them to come to room temp. Without putting them on the heater I think it would have taken approximately 21/2hrs for them to come up to room temp, I think it would be quicker to only do the first rise the night before but you then have the added mess in the morning to clean up. Basically if you want them hot for around 8.30am it's going to be a very early morning which ever way you choose to make them. I'm hoping someone took a photo that they will send through and I can post.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 03:01:07 am »
Congratulations, Wonder.  Well done - lovely story.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution