Author Topic: Blogs and rules  (Read 5500 times)

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
Blogs and rules
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »
Ok I'm liking Evernote but to share with a private small group, I'm thinking of adding my favourite recipes to a blog or a FB page.  What's the rules as such when it comes to this, if I get my recipes off somewhere like here?  Courtesy says to me that naturally I'll put the link so that it's known it's not my concoction, but are there rules or anything like copyright etc??
Mum to 2 preschoolers and a mobile baby, SA

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Blogs and rules
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
Lexi - huge issues around copyright.  You cannot just copy and paste another's recipes - that is breach of copyright and is morally dodgy, too. In my opinion.
I'd suggest you do some research before you begin your project.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »
that's why I'm asking :)  The blog would only be private but I'd rather not start than find out I'm doing it wrong or something. Evernote is working for being able to access from ipad or computer

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:09:48 pm »
Hi Lexi,
I believe if you acknowledge the source and put in a link to the original, then most people would be happy with that.  It's what we are told to do when using internet sources at school.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
I believe if you acknowledge the source and put in a link to the original, then most people would be happy with that. 

I agree Lellyj.  I have never seen any copyright notices on the forum, so I assume that so long as you acknowledge and link it is OK.  If however,  a particular recipe you like on here is originally from another source, then you need to check for copyright notices on that source.

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:30 pm »
I recall a discussion on the legalities of this on the forum some time ago.  I cannot find it just now but perhaps JD will be able to link to it once she is up and about later in the day.

If you go ahead with the blog, Lexi, hope it works well for you.

I just thought, how are we ever going to manage whilst JD is off on the WA retreat - whilst she is having a well earned break and great time, we will all be struggling like crazy on here trying to emulate her knowledge and pretending we know what we are talking about without her guiding hand to help us.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:29:08 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

mcmich

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 09:48:19 pm »
I'm sure we will keep in touch over the weekend and let you know what are getting up to.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:54:31 pm »
Us poor old Easterners will surely miss all those going to WA. Perhaps we need to organize a Sydney weekend later in the year.
I am sure Gert will take her iPad and check in. I hope to see lots of photos.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:33 pm »
That could be the problem, Michelle - do we really want to know what you are all getting up to that weekend - it could cause huge stress and jealously over this side of the country if we actually KNEW you were all having a good time.  We might all be sitting here hoping for bad weather and non-mouldy cheese that has gone mouldy or wine with bad corks, or .....

Nah, I am sure we are all keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the most wonderful time you have all ever had and looking forward to hearing all the stories and gossip and seeing the photos.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 11:57:59 pm »
I am sure there will be a heaps or ipads on our weekend, I never leave home without it.

Gym, shopping, lunch, coffee, dinner etc.

This weekend is getting huge.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:28 am »
I recall a discussion on the legalities of this on the forum some time ago.  I cannot find it just now but perhaps JD will be able to link to it once she is up and about later in the day.

If you go ahead with the blog, Lexi, hope it works well for you.

I just thought, how are we ever going to manage whilst JD is off on the WA retreat - whilst she is having a well earned break and great time, we will all be struggling like crazy on here trying to emulate her knowledge and pretending we know what we are talking about without her guiding hand to help us.

I found this one Marina and it has links to others as well.

As far as managing without the moderators when we all meet up in the West, I wouldn't worry about that.  Almost everyone there will have their iPad or other device and we are sure to be checking in when we have time BUT you are all quite capable of answering questions and finding links for those who are newcomers and looking for advice.  Just step up to the pad and take on the role as adviser - you can do it, believe me.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

mcmich

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:34:35 am »
That's so true JD. I still can't link. I will probably be the only one without an ipad. I don't have a laptop either, just a really old nokia phone which I don't think I will bother taking. My children get mad and tell me I'm going backwards not forwards.

Offline Lexi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 09:32:54 am »
Thank you for the help, that was exactly what I was after :)  Thank you so much xx