Author Topic: Mince Meat Curry  (Read 101484 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mince Meat Curry
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2011, 11:38:20 pm »
 :D :D :D :D No Caroline, we all have those, I meant the vegie plot.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »
  ;D I wondered if that was Aussie for allotment - but mental block would definitely have been appropriate!!!  :D

Well, not much happened with it last year but we're getting stuck in this year.  DH is preparing the beds for planting, and I'm sowing in the greenhouse now.  In fact, I have a day of greenhouse work ahead of me tomorrow - can't wait.  I've got a few beds covered with plastic to warm up the soil to get a head start on the Spring.

DD2 is now walking, so that could make things pretty interesting on the plot  :-))
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:54 pm »
Are you allowed to tie toddlers to garden stakes or would that be considered child abuse  :D :D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:18 am »
haha JD i think thats crossed every parents mind momentarily at some point or another with young toddlers!  Definately has with me and miss DD...they named her well at birth calling her the rocket..she hasnt stopped since!  I have veggie boxes in the garden but they didnt get used much last year and what was in them got destoyed by DD so maybe this year it will be better as she is a little older and i can distract her by helping lol!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2011, 10:15:04 am »
Judy,  this is soooo easy and tasty.   I made it today to fill some little round bread rolls.   I will cut off the tops, dig out the crumb and fill with the curry mince,  then heat in the oven.   thanks for making this so easy.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2011, 10:18:34 am »
i was going to make stuffed potatoes with a kind of bolognaise sauce and cheese/cheese sauce but great idea..might just stuff them with JDs mince meat curry!  :)

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2011, 10:24:59 am »
Love the garden stake idea!  ;D

We had this again last night, to the family's delight.  We didn't have much rice left in the house, and everyone wanted seconds (it even broke DD2s loss of appetite which had continued for 3 days) so we had a sort of Sloppy Joe in bread for seconds.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2011, 11:37:57 am »
Frozzie, DD should be old enough to help you in the vegie patch.  I have planted a few herb gardens with GD and she loves watching them grow, weeding and watering them. We once planted cocktail tomatoes just so that it would give her something to pick and eat.  Get her involved and she may not wreck them  ;)

Love your idea Chookie, do you eat them with a knife and fork or are they served as finger food?

Wow, it must be popular Caroline to have it twice in just a few days.  It never ceases to amaze me how simple, cheap food is so popular.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2011, 04:08:15 pm »
Frozzie, DD should be old enough to help you in the vegie patch.  I have planted a few herb gardens with GD and she loves watching them grow, weeding and watering them. We once planted cocktail tomatoes just so that it would give her something to pick and eat.  Get her involved and she may not wreck them  ;)

thats my plan JD..its time to start planting in a couple of weeks, after the last frost as they say over here..but i might start this weekend putting some seeds in the greenhouse with DD and see how she goes..we had cherry tomatoes along with our other tomatoes last year and DD not only ate them green, red or whatever colour but also crushed them, gave them to the dog and had a whole lot of fun lol...lets just say not a whole lot got into the house..im hoping this year if she helps me plant them and water them etc that she will take care of them also..like i said a year older so lets hope!!  We also have a wall of rasperry bushes along the side of hte house that luckily produces alot of raspberries as not onlhy the kids pick and eat them all the time but the dogs have taken to eating htem off the bushes too lol..might have to invest in some kids gardening tools etc so they have their own items and feel its also their gardening!

I have heard so many chefs say that the simplest food is often the best...this dish is a fav of ours too, quick, easy and tasty..i guess as well as having it on its own you could do so many other things with it...might also have to try it in a pasta bake??  :)

Offline foodebate

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2011, 03:32:55 am »
Judy,
Made this a couple of weeks ago and it was a winner with my two fussy children....
Today when I made it, a bit sad  :(.....I heard you could walk away after the timer goes off and not worry that the dish will continue cooking with a tmx.... Well I had to race to an apptmnt and when I came back the meat is almost mush....no fault of the recipe...just going to remember that it does indeed still cook...

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2011, 06:04:26 am »
Hi foodebate
How long did you leave it for and was it on reverse and what speed.... It shouldn't keep cooking but keep it at a low temp but meat mush could be a result of blade speed???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2011, 06:21:39 am »
I'm glad you had a successful version before the disaster one foodebate.  I wouldn't advise leaving the TMX on and leaving the house.  Yes you can leave it whilst you go off somewhere in the house and do other jobs but once the timer goes off, it really should be turned off as soon as you can get to it.  The continuing movement of the blades would be what has caused it to turn to mush.  Hope it was still edible  ;)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2011, 11:41:22 am »
This dish was one of the first meals I did in thermie and has always been tops - did this for dinner tonight with jacket potatoes, sour cream and grated cheese - fed 4 adults and 4 children. All devoured before I remembered the pic  :)  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:34:34 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:01 pm »
JD I have on occasion left mine to go and pick DS up from school (about 5 mins drive away) but usually its still cooking when I leave obviously and it is beeping for max 10 mins before turning it off and it has never hurt the food...think foodebate must have left it for quite a while for it to be mush...

robyn yum for the pototoes..i never got around to doing that..i meant to use this in baked potatoes but never did..will be on hte menu though for this week ..mmmm

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
This is great!
I had 250g pork mince and 250g beef mince I wanted to use and didn't feel like bolognaise (again).
I made quite a few tweaks based on what I had in the cupboard, thought I'd post the tweaks just in case someone finds it useful.

The biggest tweak I made was to add 200g rice to the bowl after the mince was browned- to minimise dishes! I then added a can of crushed tomatoes and 300g water and 1/2 packet of frozen spinach and cooked the lot for 17mins/reverse/sp1...about 2 minutes from the end I added a cup of peas.

Also, I didn't have any fruit chutney so I added 2tbsp golden syrup and 1or 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/