Author Topic: Chutney question  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Chutney question
« on: August 12, 2012, 01:24:33 am »
This morning I made chookies pear, lemon and cardamom chutney. This is not normally something I'd do and I'll be honest the title didn't really appeal to me.  So why did I make it? Cause I have a TMX, I had the ingredients and i don't know if I'll like something or not unless I try it.  Well, the verdict is in....even before the two months rest period I love it! 

So this is my question...

I have bottled in old sterilized jars of various shapes and sizes.  However, the last load didn't quite fill the jar. There's about a 1 cm gap at the top.  The lid will not pop down so I know there's still air inside. It is currently on the stove in a bath boiling in the hope that the vacuum might work.  I don't have another small jar so can't decant.  I have to leave it for two months before eating it.  Will it last or is this last batch wasted?

Thanks in advance.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
Re: Chutney question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 01:36:25 am »
I would store that jar in the fridge, shouldn't be a problem.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:41:36 am »
i would  use the vacuum sealer and then freeze it

or just freeze it in zip lock bags 
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:48:54 am »
Brumington,  glad you like it.   Chutneys and sauces are very forgiving. This last bottle will be fine.  Keep it in the fridge and use it first.  It does taste better after 2 months,  but I have used it before and it is still nice. ;D

I love the Sweet Chilli Sauce from Thermoconvert,  and Bess's tomato sauce.   We seem to use a lot of these.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:55:40 am »
Chutneys last for ages in the fridge, usually taste better after a couple of months too.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:20:45 am »
Thanks for all your replies.  In my panic I have thrown away some weird concoction I bought from the supermarket cause it was in a smaller jar. In fairness it should have probably gone in the bin a few months ago!  ;D

I now have three perfectly sealed jars and no leftovers but I will know the answer to my question for future preserves.

I'd love to try those other preserves you've mentioned Chookie.  I love my local produce store and they normally have bulk purchases for next to nothing so I'll be on the hunt for some tomatoes!

Thank you all for your help.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:56 am »
Brumington,  my pleasure. ;D ;D ;D