Author Topic: Cooking classes - what would you like to see in them?  (Read 21762 times)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Cooking classes - what would you like to see in them?
« on: July 02, 2011, 09:31:59 pm »
as the title says  ;D

personally i would love to see some different / new things, and for a reasonalbe price. I would also hope that recipes (at least a few if not all) would be handed out  - the one class i went to we were given none  :-\
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Cooking classes - what would you like to see in them?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:23:12 am »
Personally, I think those run-by-HO classes are a waste of time and money, and I know I am not alone, as my friends think the same way. We all much prefer to have out consultant come over and do a demo - she is by far much better at presenting and the food she prepares is so much nicer than at those HO classes. The potato salad at one class I went to was still raw; how can they expect people to want a tm i the food they prepare isn't even cooked? No I'll stick to having demos at home, thank you.

I want the same as you brazen, but I don't think HO runs classes for people who have a tm - the classes are for people who don't have one and just want to have a look.

Offline petit4s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:30:35 am »
I'd like to see knowledgable consultants - I want to go to a class where their are consultants who can answer food questions and know something about cooking and food, not the ones who have only just got their new consultant stripes, and the salespeople consultants. I remember going to a few classes where there was a consultant who could answer out food and cooking questions, but since then, I've noticed that she hasn't been there and the ones they have been having are either newbies or salespeople. I don't bother going anymore.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:07:22 am »
I'd like to see classes where things different to the demonstrations are done. Even if they had to be cooked before hand, eg a casserole, and then we were given the recipe. I'm sure most of us who have had our machines for a while do so many different things with them that this shouldn't be too hard to organise. Something like Jo did for us here in WA. Even if consultants were allowed to collect recipes from their customers and then present some of them in a class. It is obvious from all the recipes on the forum that people can and do use them for so much.
Better get off the soap box. ;) ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:34:44 am »
no need to get off cookie ;)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:27:58 am »
Finally, someone is asking this question!
Unfortunately my consultant is no longer in business so I (and all my friends she sold to from my demos) have been in consultant "wilderness" with only having a quick run down on how the machine works. As I've said before if it wasnt for this forum I wouldnt be using my TMX half as much as I do and probably would have been pushed to the back of the cupboard like my other unused gadgets!

I have since found a new consultant, who is lovely and keeps in touch with regular updates. I still think us old timers could learn something new - but I don't think anyone involved in those basic classes are in it to help owners. I guess its about sales.

I agree with the previous posts - knowledgable consultants would be great. Bread lessons. Classes like Jo did in WA. Not just festive classes.

Now I'll get off.....

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:09 am »
I have had my thermomix since December and it gets quite a workout. I went to a Back to Basics - Baking Secrets cooking class held recently and it was great.

It was professional, well run and lively. The food was great and included dishes from the EDC, Vegetarian cookbook (and may be others that I've forgotten) as well as a couple of new dishes that we got the recipes for on a glossy brochure. I learned some new things about the tmx and spatula and also the technique for making professional looking pull apart bread. There were lots of different TMX recipe books and accessories to examine. It was a cash only affair but that was OK because we were given prior notice.

So IMHO it was very informative, enjoyable and well worth the money. My only suggestion would be to hand out the menu for the evening (including the recipe source).

I'm looking forward to the next one.
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline mkr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 07:08:14 am »
Finally, someone is asking this question!
Unfortunately my consultant is no longer in business so I (and all my friends she sold to from my demos) have been in consultant "wilderness" with only having a quick run down on how the machine works. As I've said before if it wasnt for this forum I wouldnt be using my TMX half as much as I do and probably would have been pushed to the back of the cupboard like my other unused gadgets!

I have since found a new consultant, who is lovely and keeps in touch with regular updates. I still think us old timers could learn something new - but I don't think anyone involved in those basic classes are in it to help owners. I guess its about sales.

I agree with the previous posts - knowledgable consultants would be great. Bread lessons. Classes like Jo did in WA. Not just festive classes.

Now I'll get off.....

Ouch! Have you actually been to a B2B class LMT? They are run purely to help new owners to get the most out of their Thermomix. I've been to a number of classes and always go away having learnt something new and inspired to try some new dishes!

If you have a few friends with TMs and would like to get into some more advanced dishes then why not start a cooking club amongst yourselves?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 07:19:49 am »
I don't have a problem with the back to basics classes except that I think they should be advertised as a "thermomix demonstrations" rather than cooking classes. There is only so much you can learn from the same old dip, sorbet, custard routine and they really are a demonstration of the machine rather than an actual cooking class.

If Thermomix Oz want to run proper cooking classes then I think they need to design some really advanced and gourmet classes.  As there wouldn't be much hope of sales at these classes (and we don't want to listen to the sell - again) we would need to expect to pay proper cooking class rates for these.  :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 07:37:46 am »
I agree with the comments made by others on here. It is 3-4 hours drive to attend a class from where I live and I really don't see the point of it if it it the same old basic cooking class. I know that the one I have been too was not too far removed from the demonstration I attended. As the cooking class also had people looking to purchase a TMX, a lot of time was taken explaining the TMX as well. I would like to see different classes which are run by those with TMX/cooking/food knowledge and travelling around. I think if you can get say 10 people together for the class it shouldn't matter where you are. Also would like to see classes such as Indian/Asian to match our cookbooks as well as other types aimed at maybe entertaining, etc. Well that's my thoughts for the day.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 10:52:14 am »
yeah, i totally agree about the B2B classes
My Cooking Blog

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 11:33:17 am »
Sorry some of you feel that way. There are certain guidelines that need to be followed with B2B classes that are set by head office. The baking class was a little different as it had a baking focus. We have provided a running list for our classes since the end of last year. I would love to run specialized classes for my customers but it is hard to gauge what to charge and how to run it. I know there is a demand. I would suggest becoming a consultant  ;) I am always learning new things about the TM at meetings and cooking classes not to mention from my customers.  ;D
What would people like to see in terms of specialized classes?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 12:02:51 pm »
I have never been to a B2B class but it really doesn't appeal. I would go for... Entertaining, Thai, baking, bread, sauces, brunches and as said above anything 'gourmet'... Want to WOW my Dh and friends, not just do 'the basics'. That's my 2cents worth.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 02:02:47 pm »
Ah specialized classes. Now that is a different matter. It may be asking a lot, but I would love a tmx version of a combination of an old cook book called Womens Weekly Easy Entertaining cookbook and Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals.

I'm thinking menus based around seasons (to make the best use of fresh seasonal produce) and occasions. Things like a summer party for 30, a winter dinner party for 10, champagne lunch for 20, informal/formal Christmas lunch/dinner for 10 or 20 to name just a few. The classes could show how to put it all together in a work plan like Jamie does in the 30 minute meals book and of course provide relevant handouts which build up a cookbook.

I would happily pay and give up the greater part of a Saturday or Sunday for this. Over the top maybe  :-))
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 02:24:13 pm »
But the burn question is how much would you be willing to pay and how long would you expect the class to run for?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net