Author Topic: Do we ever pre heat the TMX  (Read 8584 times)

Offline LuisaFM

• View Profile
Do we ever pre heat the TMX
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:57:52 pm »
I tried making the pikelets from the everyday cookbook. It said to:

"Melt the butter for 40 seconds at 50C, speed 4. "

The butter didn't look melted at all after 40 seconds and I wondered for a moment whether I should have pre heated the TMX to 50C and when it stopped flashing then time the 40 sec?   
At the end of the 40sec, the temperature hadn't even started flashing 37C, never mind 50C.

In the end, because it didn't matter, I just kept it going until the butter had actually melted and they turned out fine, but it might not be so easy for other recipes.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: Do we ever pre heat the TMX
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:26 pm »
I had exactly the same difficulty when I started using my TMX.  I even rang the UK Thermomix people who said the recipe timings were supposed to allow time for the water/machine or whatever to heat up but my feeling is that they don't always do so.  Maybe it's dependant on the temperature of your ingredients and also the ambient temperature.

Anyway, what I now do is to check that things appear "done" and, if not, let it process for another bit of time.   To begin with, I treated the TMX like an exact science so tried to be totally accurate with weighings and timings but as I've got a bit more confident, I've got a lot more gung ho!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 02:24:01 am »
Hi LuisaFM.  I have had similar problems and the Australia TMX HQ said that the times given are for starting from cold.  The problem is that some of the recipes may have been contributed by those who start timimg from when it reaches temperature (50 deg in your case.)

It is frustrating, but I could not be certain of all the times in my recipes, so, as Katya said - check frequently when first trying a recipe.  Soem times are just far tooooooooooooooo long too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline LuisaFM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 05:58:13 am »
thanks for that - I guess I was treating it like an exact science but I'll go with my gut a little more then  :)

Offline marmee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 06:31:54 am »
So - do you ever need to preheat the TMX?
Marmee, intrigued by the TM and living in NSW Australia

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:08:56 am »
Not that I have discovered in the last 12 months...not to say that somewhere out there out of the blue could come a recipe requiring preheating...though I do doubt it  but as they say "never say never" lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:33:23 am »
For stir-fry type dishes and "frying" prawns for example you need to pre-heat with some oil, before throwing in the other ingreds.

But as others have pointed out - the recipe times with temperatures set are supposed to be from room temp.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:10:01 am »
Thanks Thermomixer...I haven't gone in that direction (as you can tell lol) hence the never say never!!

Hmm thought for the weekend,  try a stirfry  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »
The only preheating that I have come across is a tip in the 2009 calendar.  Tenina recommends preheating your tmx bowl before beating eggs whites - but this is to ensure the bowl is moisture free and you need to let it cool before you add your egg whites anyway.
Chelsea  :)

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »
thanks Chelsea, was going to bring this egg white point up myself..but you pipped my post! hahaha ;)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 05:20:48 am »
Sorry Tenina.  At least you know I am taking note of your tips.  Love the calendar by the way!

Chelsea  :)